Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's say you notice a single man openly carrying a pistol while he walks along a residential, public sidewalk. Let's make it more interesting by saying he also has a rifle (you choose what kind) slung over his shoulder. He is moving about in a non-threatening way, but he is clearly not fishing (no equipment), nor going to a range (none within walking distance).

What might you assume or guess about him? How would you handle it. Ignore? Call police? Conversation with him?

Would your reaction change if he only had an openly holstered pistol, but no rifle?

·
Registered
136 Posts
A thug will not walk around open carrying. A guy with a proper holstered pistol is more a sign of a responsible gun owner then anything else. The rifle slung over his shoulder wouldn't bother me either

I would not be worried, not call the police and mind my business.

Edit

I think clothing makes a huge difference. Dress like a thug, be treaded like a thug

·
Registered
12,914 Posts
I assume he's not wearing a police uniform. :grin

If he's wearing plain clothes I'd look for a badge on his belt, make sure it's a police badge, not a CCW badge :aarg. I'm not a cop so I don't feel it's my duty to approach a law-breaker for any reason, especially when it's a victimless crime and there's no eminent threat to people or property. OTOH, I don't know if he's a jealous husband walking over to the house of the guy his wife is cheating with.

I did see a guy at a shopping center with his Glock sticking down well below the hem of his untucked shirt. That's open carry. He seemed like a "normal" young guy out shopping with his wife or girlfriend. I didn't say anything as I was sitting in the car and he was outside. He had to have known it was visible, what could I possibly do to change things?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I would keep an eye on him, you never know. It's possible he could be getting ready to go whacko.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would keep an eye on him, you never know. It's possible he could be getting ready to go whacko.
I don't think that open or concealed carry will change anything on somebody going whacko

·
Registered
824 Posts
Since i have been banned from entering my neighborhood on several occasions due to a stand off with some guy down the street in the military, I would call the police and let them handle it. I also had another neighbor break out of the back of the rescue truck up the street and start running in my general direction. I quickly crossed the street back home and called the police. He was screaming and acting crazy, but was also built like a brick house. Drugs, roid rage? Don't know. didn't want to know. If he had come up to my door god could have had a talk with him.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
A thug will not walk around open carrying. A guy with a proper holstered pistol is more a sign of a responsible gun owner then anything else. The rifle slung over his shoulder wouldn't bother me either

I would not be worried, not call the police and mind my business.

Edit

I think clothing makes a huge difference. Dress like a thug, be treaded like a thug

Go look at the navy yard shooting video...very well dressed squared away looking guy. Nutty as a fruitcake committing mass murder. Clothes don't mean crap.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Go look at the navy yard shooting video...very well dressed squared away looking guy. Nutty as a fruitcake committing mass murder. Clothes don't mean crap.
Clothes are an indicator, I never said you should just base your assessment on the clothing style

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Perhaps his car broke down on they way home from the range and he did not want to leave the firearms in the car?

Perhaps he does not agree with the unconstitutional restriction on his right to keep and bear arms?

MYOB!

·
Registered
218 Posts
It reminds me of the old Lite beer commercials arguing.....Taste Great! Less Filling! I miss those old commercials with the NFL players and Rodney Dangerfield!

·
Banned
11,161 Posts
Let's say you notice a single man openly carrying a pistol while he walks along a residential, public sidewalk. Let's make it more interesting by saying he also has a rifle (you choose what kind) slung over his shoulder. He is moving about in a non-threatening way, but he is clearly not fishing (no equipment), nor going to a range (none within walking distance).

What might you assume or guess about him? How would you handle it. Ignore? Call police? Conversation with him?

Would your reaction change if he only had an openly holstered pistol, but no rifle?
Call the police. Let them sort it out. If he is legitimate, no harm done. If he is not, then someone's life may have been saved.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Uh, because it's illegal in Florida.

By engaging in unlawful behavior, in public and in my presence, he made it my business.
So you also call the police when a car passes you on the road going over the speed limit? Or making a turn without signaling? Or if you see kids smoking in the park? Etc. Etc. Etc.
:dunno

·
Registered
12,914 Posts
Suppose you're driving down the road and see a slender woman walking down the road who appears to be a prostitute. They're all over Jax, by the way. Call the police? Stop and have a talk with her? Let it go?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Uh, because it's illegal in Florida.
So you will blindly obey (and help The State enforce) any Florida law, no matter whether it's right or wrong, and no matter whether it conflicts with the plain language of the US Constitution?

By engaging in unlawful behavior, in public and in my presence, he made it my business.
Based on your previous statement, "Call the police and let them deal with him," I'm guessing you're not a cop? Yet somehow you think it's your duty to ensure that arbitrary laws are enforced, even when the "law breaker" is not hurting anyone?

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Call the police. Let them sort it out. If he is legitimate, no harm done. If he is not, then someone's life may have been saved.
:thumsup After all, he's clearly not part of our community - he's a lawbreaker carrying two open firearms in public (not on his property). Let the police sort it all out.
If this were Georgia or another OC state, it would be a non issue. But it's Florida.

·
Registered
886 Posts
He's a lawbreaker by being being Jewish without having a prominent yellow Star of David sewn on his clothes. Let the police sort it all out. If this were the US or another country with freedom of religion, it would be a non issue. But it's Germany, in 1939.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts