Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i ordered the Tritium Tru-Glo Fiber Optic Sights for my XD and was wanting to know if anyone else has them and need some info.

Are they Durable? Slide in and out of holster?

Brightness?

Accuracy?:pistols

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
I've got them on all of my carry Glocks. No issues so far with several thousands of rounds down range.

There was an issue with the FO element popping out, but I've not experienced that.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
i ordered the Tritium Tru-Glo Fiber Optic Sights for my XD and was wanting to know if anyone else has them and need some info.

Are they Durable? Slide in and out of holster?

Brightness?

Accuracy?:pistols
Hi adog88
I have the XD 45 and I asked just the same question about three months a go.
Rvrctyrngr and several others were kind enough to respond. I love the sights. They are very bright in the day light or no light (night). Some gunsmiths don't want to put them on (apparently hard to get original sights off). I paid $120 for the sights and installation.
I am so glad I did it.
Hope this is helpful.:drinks
Good luck!
Franklin
Ps. The gunsmith did a great job. The XD is very accurate. A lot more so than me.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Practice

The gunsmith did a great job. The XD is very accurate. A lot more so than me.
Practice makes perfect as they say, I just recently went through the police and corrections academy. So my marksmanship has definately improved. I know the feeling, I would practice more if I could find the bullets to replace the ones I am shooting. I will not let me stash get below a half a case. I buy up every box I come across.

Good Luck

·
Registered
54,736 Posts
I won't use them, I've lost the FO in the front on both guns that had them while training. I prefer the N/S's to the Truglo Tfo's for no other reason than the above.

I found the Truglo sights very well suited for a SD weapon and actually like them, but the FO's are too fragile for my tastes on a defensive carry firearm

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Practice makes perfect as they say, I just recently went through the police and corrections academy. So my marksmanship has definately improved. I know the feeling, I would practice more if I could find the bullets to replace the ones I am shooting. I will not let me stash get below a half a case. I buy up every box I come across.

Good Luck

I'm a pretty good shot...until I shoot with a good shot.:laughing Lots of room for improvement. I practice weekly BUT still manage to be pretty average!:rolf

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have TFOs on my XD45. Only 1000-1500 rounds thru it so far, but no problems.

Be advised that you may have to destroy the old front sight to get it off.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I replaced the sights on my XDm with XS sights http://www.xssights.com/store/handgun.html after seeing a few videos on them. The XDm uses the same sights used on the XD, and I assume the process of getting the old sights off the XD is the same.

The front sight was a nightmare to get off. A machinist I know uses the phrase "a cast iron b*tch" for really tough work. This was beyond that. I started out with a brass punch and a hammer and eventually broke the punch. I used a nail set (hardened steel punch) and just dimpled the sight enough that the nail set wouldn't hold. I tried a cold chisel.

I don't remember all the things I did that wouldn't work. I remember the only way I got it off was to hold the slide in vise and cut away most of the sight with an end mill. Then I could push it off with a punch and hammer. The rear sight was pretty easy to get out.

If someone would have done it for $25 I would jump at it. Maybe even that $120. I would say not to do it if you don't have a drill press with an X-Y table, machinist's vise, and a small (1/8") end mill - or an actual home milling machine.

Hope that's helpful,
BobL

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Be advised that you may have to destroy the old front sight to get it off.
No. I took it to the local gunsmith. I got the gun back today:dancingbanana. The sights look awesome. I don't know about the yellow though. I was told that they are not as bright as the green at night.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I replaced the sights on my XDm with XS sights http://www.xssights.com/store/handgun.html after seeing a few videos on them. The XDm uses the same sights used on the XD, and I assume the process of getting the old sights off the XD is the same.

The front sight was a nightmare to get off. A machinist I know uses the phrase "a cast iron b*tch" for really tough work. This was beyond that. I started out with a brass punch and a hammer and eventually broke the punch. I used a nail set (hardened steel punch) and just dimpled the sight enough that the nail set wouldn't hold. I tried a cold chisel.

I don't remember all the things I did that wouldn't work. I remember the only way I got it off was to hold the slide in vise and cut away most of the sight with an end mill. Then I could push it off with a punch and hammer. The rear sight was pretty easy to get out.

If someone would have done it for $25 I would jump at it. Maybe even that $120. I would say not to do it if you don't have a drill press with an X-Y table, machinist's vise, and a small (1/8") end mill - or an actual home milling machine.

Hope that's helpful,
BobL
I paid the local gunsmith $25.00! I called springfield and they wanted $65.00 plus return shipping paid.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I won't use them, I've lost the FO in the front on both guns that had them while training. I prefer the N/S's to the Truglo Tfo's for no other reason than the above.

I found the Truglo sights very well suited for a SD weapon and actually like them, but the FO's are too fragile for my tastes on a defensive carry firearm

I am hearing alot about the FO's falling out. But TRU-GLO warrantys them so I will have a set of replacement tubes if needed.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I paid the local gunsmith $25.00! I called springfield and they wanted $65.00 plus return shipping paid.
I consider $25 a bargain. My hat's off to anyone who can do that job for $25.

Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts