Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided I “need” a range project after shooting Racer’s beautiful lever action plinker as well as the recent .22lr threads on here. I have a 10/22 in a nice OEM Mannlicher stock that I won’t modify. So, I’m looking for a nice bolt action or lever action to build up to a nice (hopefully MOA) bench plinker. I’d like to do this on a small budget so, a used older model will be ok with me.

If you have one of these in the back of your safe or closet that you are willing to part with…..let me know. I have cash or we can trade if I have something you are looking for.

I know I can buy a new Henry or Marlin, Savage , Ruger for around $500-800 but, I’d like to be under the $500 mark to start with.

If you happen to have a CZ 452, 455, or 457 ……..I can pay a little more depending on condition.

Maybe you are in a pawnshop window shopping a see what I’m looking for. Give me a heads up and maybe they will ship it to my FFL.

Thank you,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57,033 Posts
MOA out of a lever gun? Not likely. The most accurate 22 lever I own is a Marlin 39A from 1953. It'll pick spent 22lr shells of the 25 yd berm all day long with the standard buckhorns of the day.

They are a custom shop order only today. I'll not let go of mine, one I'll always keep

·
Registered
15,947 Posts
Getting MOA out of a .22LR rifle will require a very good rifle (bolt-action) AND exceptionally-good ammo, IMO.

Otherwise, just get the .22LR rifle you LIKE and shoot the s**t out of it. They're just fun!

There is something about lever-actions that bring out the "cowboy" in us, eh?

Musical instrument Wood Natural material Everyday carry Musical instrument accessory

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, bolt actions tend to be more accurate, lever actions tend to be more fun.
Well said, you are correct.

I have to pick up a AR10 lower on friday I noticed they have a large selection of used guns if I see something at a good price I'll let you know .
Thank you.

MOA out of a lever gun? Not likely. The most accurate 22 lever I own is a Marlin 39A from 1953. It'll pick spent 22lr shells of the 25 yd berm all day long with the standard buckhorns of the day.
If you are plinking 22shells at 25yds, I’d bet that bad boy shoots moa!

I have a Remington 550-1 ,they only made them for two years 1950-51 I think it is my 22 that I won't part with great wood and blueing .
That’s a nice rifle Earl, I’d keep it forever as well!

Getting MOA out of a .22LR rifle will require a very good rifle (bolt-action) AND exceptionally-good ammo, IMO.

Otherwise, just get the .22LR rifle you LIKE and shoot the s**t out of it. They're just fun!

There is something about lever-actions that bring out the "cowboy" in us, eh?

View attachment 77794
I bet yours can do it. Your groups last range trip were looking pretty MOAish.

Reactions: brownie

·
Registered
15,947 Posts
I bet yours can do it. Your groups last range trip were looking pretty MOAish.
That was at 25 yards. So, multiply that group times four for 100 yards. At least.
Colorfulness Font Circle Symmetry Pattern

Nevertheless... pretty good for a lever-action .22LR shooting bulk ammo by a rifleman who should spend less time making infographics, videos, photo demonstrations, and charting and sharing his progress... and more time learning the fundamentals like trigger control and grip!
Purple Violet Gas Font Symmetry

·
Super Moderator
32,233 Posts
I've a Glenfield Model 60 manufactured in 1966 given to me by my mother that is an absolute tac-driver. Love plinking with that .22LR rifle and wouldn't sell it either because of it's sentimental value to me, but racer's Browning lever action, now that is a sight to behold! (y)(y)

·
Registered
15,947 Posts
I've a Glenfield Model 60 manufactured in 1966 given to me by my mother that is an absolute tac-driver. Love plinking with that .22LR rifle and wouldn't sell it either because of it's sentimental value to me, but racer's Browning lever action, now that is a sight to behold! (y)(y)
I'll have to bring out again so you can shoot it. You were busy with getting your air rifle sorted out.

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That was at 25 yards. So, multiply that group times four for 100 yards. At least.
View attachment 77796

Nevertheless... pretty good for a lever-action .22LR shooting bulk ammo by a rifleman who should spend less time making infographics, videos, photo demonstrations, and charting and sharing his progress... and more time learning the fundamentals like trigger control and grip!
View attachment 77795
It’s difficult to get a repeatable POA with so many shots on the target at once. I bet if you really tried and only shot five round groups with match ammo, you can get MOA or close to it with that lever gun. A scope would help tremendously but, those irons are really nice.

Those are nice .22s!

You can get this one for $290 NIB with no cc fee.

ive got two of them and they are great rifles. MOA? Not sure. But it is very accurate out to 50yds.
Oh you can be sure I have a bunch on my “watch” list on GB.

·
Registered
15,947 Posts
It’s difficult to get a repeatable POA with so many shots on the target at once. I bet if you really tried and only shot five round groups with match ammo, you can get MOA or close to it with that lever gun. A scope would help tremendously but, those irons are really nice.
It would be a fun experiment. Though I think a scope on a lever gun is anathema! haha! I just wanted to use a big word.

When you get your lever gun, look into the Skinner sights. They work nicely, and they look "just right" on a lever gun.
Revolver Everyday carry Material property Eye glass accessory Wood

I added the orange paint on the front sight.
Automotive tire Tire Camera accessory Camera lens Auto part

·
Super Moderator
32,233 Posts
I once thought about putting Skinner Peep sights on my 45-70 lever gun, but since a that cartridge has a trajectory more like a rainbow, what's the point? 🤣

Reactions: Caleb

·
Registered
57,033 Posts
I once thought about putting Skinner Peep sights on my 45-70 lever gun, but since a that cartridge has a trajectory more like a rainbow, what's the point? 🤣
I use the front sight as my reference point and usually just shoot using the rifle quick kill skill. Levers weren't, by nature of their buckhorn rear sight, intended to be precision rifles to begin with.

I tried a skinner rear peep on one of the lever 357's. Though a peep is certainly more accurate overall compared to the buckhorn rear sight, I found it took longer to acquire a sight picture instead of just putting the front sight in the buckhorn groove.

And that 39A I have, using buckhorns will take 22lr shell casings off the bank all day at 25 yrds bench rested. There, the peep would be a benefit to faster precision acquisition.

·
Registered
15,947 Posts
I use the front sight as my reference point and usually just shoot using the rifle quick kill skill. Levers weren't, by nature of their buckhorn rear sight, intended to be precision rifles to begin with.

I tried a skinner rear peep on one of the lever 357's. Though a peep is certainly more accurate overall compared to the buckhorn rear sight, I found it took longer to acquire a sight picture instead of just putting the front sight in the buckhorn groove.

And that 39A I have, using buckhorns will take 22lr shell casings off the bank all day at 25 yrds bench rested. There, the peep would be a benefit to faster precision acquisition.
I love my BL-22 (obviously - what's not to love?). But, I could not see the OEM black buckhorn rear sight and black post front sight... like.... AT ALL. I found them very difficult to get sight alignment and a sight picture.

The Skinner rear peep sight comes with a selection of differently sized apertures, which is pretty cool. For faster acquisition, the larger aperture insert works best.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have the Henry .22 rifle, the bottom line rifle. It shoots shorts, longs and long rifle ammo. Get yourself some Aguila Colibri's, primer only ammo, and shoot in your back yard, sounds like a pellet gun or quiter. Put a cheap scope on it and its good fun.

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Found something!

I will post up a thread when I get it and start down the rabbit hole (Racers fault).

·
Registered
15,947 Posts
Found something!

I will post up a thread when I get it and start down the rabbit hole (Racers fault).

Woohooo! Are you really going to leave us hanging, though?? What did you get?

·
Registered
15,871 Posts
Lisa said he can upgrade his Nerf gun to an Airsoft

1 - 20 of 25 Posts