Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several years ago I picked up a used Chiappa 1911-22 thinking it would be a fun Steel Challenge knock around. Sadly, the pistol could barely fire 3 rounds out of ten. So the gun sat in the back of the safe until I could get around to it. Yesterday, I took some time to break it down with the intent in finding the issue. Here is where the 'wow' begins.

This story begins with that horrible smell of mold. So, gloves on we begin with oil and rags. Wiping and cleaning got some of that white goo (Froglube?) off the surface areas. I tore the pistol down to the ignition group and all parts went into the sonic cleaner with some simple green.

Twenty minutes later I have a result. The result is I now know what pot metal is the finish slightly flaked off resulting in something that I would not trust a .22 explosion anywhere near. A seriously ugly piece of metal. At least most of the rust had come off the sear. I did put a thin layer of oil on all just to cover up the white spots where the finish, if that is to be called a finish, had flaked off.

It now sits on the bench while I wonder whether to toss it.

I looked up the price of this pistol new and am at a complete loss. 250-350? Maybe some Krylon would help. But that would only raise its value to the price of a spray paint can.

Heh-heh, I am not sure if this a rant or a question.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Thought you might have a cas for warranty work and looke up their policy. Yeah, you're pretty much outta luck there and assures me I will NEVER buy one! I HAVE seen krylon do wonders! Make sure to post some before and after pics if you decide to go that route!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I'm one of those guys that really doesn't care what a gun looks like.
I have 2 concerns. Will it shoot safely and consistently?
Is it accurate?

That's it

AFS

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It did not shoot consistently. So it a paperweight at this point. This thing will never be an EDC. Even if it was a solid shooter, I doubt it would withstand any modicum of daily use. The quality of the metallurgy is such that it will wear in a very short time.

Plus parts replacement may be questionable. I think before assembling this gun, I'd have to replace all the spring at the very least. Finish notwithstanding, rusting means the metal will begin to fatigue. Not something for reliability in saving a life.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Post pictures. Might not be as bad as you think.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry. It is too late to take pictures. After cleaning it up it looks not to shabby. My annoyance was seeing the underlying alloy. All I ever worked on was aluminum and steel guns. So this cheap alloy stuff is a bit of a surprise.Even my old Marlins looked better when I fond them in old damp basements. A little steel wool and some oil and they look good as new.

·
Registered
7,869 Posts
Fred:

Several years ago, I worked on Don’s (BangBang) a time or two, and saw it after he was going to have it refinished. When they took it out of the tank from stripping the old finish off; it was a fairly eaten away carcass. Thinner locations on the frame now had holes, and the factory “holes” (pin holes, grip screw bushing holes, etc.) were all too oversized for the thing to even be reassembled, much less fired. Hopefully, yours isn’t that bad.

My guess is that the frames are a zinc casting.

Sorry about that, my friend,

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rick, the good news is that it is not too bad. It has cleaned up pretty well. I'm assembling this afternoon. Although the safety bar was bent and perhaps that was causing drag on the firing pin. Nonetheless it is not getting refinished. It is just not worth anymore money. That zinc cast just makes for a cheesy hunk of metal.

When I get back on my feet, I might start looking at the Browning 1911-22. I'm curious how a 1911-22 works that stayed with the classic design.

·
Registered
7,869 Posts
Rick, the good news is that it is not too bad. It has cleaned up pretty well. I'm assembling this afternoon. Although the safety bar was bent and perhaps that was causing drag on the firing pin. Nonetheless it is not getting refinished. It is just not worth anymore money. That zinc cast just makes for a cheesy hunk of metal.

When I get back on my feet, I might start looking at the Browning 1911-22. I'm curious how a 1911-22 works that stayed with the classic design.
:thumsup

·
Super Moderator
26,332 Posts
Thankfully, a Chiappa 1911-22 wasn't on my list to scratch off. Sorry for your troubles but thanks for the heads up to the rest of us!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts