Florida Concealed Carry banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I have a friend that got in a motorcycle accident that was not his fault, He and his wife were injured. They were on a TV ad and when I seen him I asked about it.
He laughed and said the TV time made him more then his settlement after his lawyer took his cut and all exogenesises out of my cut.
The guy that hit them had cheap minimum insurance and they will owe him and his wife until they hit the lotto or die.
A huge settlement joke it was for them.
Ronnie

·
Registered
20,663 Posts
I have a friend that got in a motorcycle accident that was not his fault, He and his wife were injured. They were on a TV ad and when I seen him I asked about it.
He laughed and said the TV time made him more then his settlement after his lawyer took his cut and all exogenesises out of my cut.
The guy that hit them had cheap minimum insurance and they will owe him and his wife until they hit the lotto or die.
A huge settlement joke it was for them.
Ronnie
sorry to hear that ronnie...i was hit by a 23 year old who didnt even have a checking account...minimal insurance and more than likely a lifetime of living on other people's sofas...a settlement would have done me no good...on the other hand, the lawyer i hired managed to negotiate all of the medical bills down to fit into the minimal insurance (i eclipsed that the first day with a helicopter ride to the hospital and 5 days in intensive care with every test known to man and follow up visits for 3 months), force a less than responsive insurance company to spend more than they wanted to fixing my motorcycle (a heavily customized harley) and making sure i was taken care of by the best people they could find...for a pittance that did not represent even a fraction of their time...

another had my back in a suit against a former employer who overstepped their bounds...again for next to nothing...so i could claim improperly paid wages...

you dont know how valuable a lawyer is until you need one desperately...we have built a dangerously complicated and difficult to navigate legal system...maybe due to lawyers crafting it...but they are the key masters and when called upon make the system work for us...

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Hey, It is like ya can't live with them & Ya can't live without them.
But always remember that a good lawyer is good to have when needed.
Ronnie

·
Registered
54,946 Posts
If you don't stop hitting her, I'm going to call 911 while videotaping you violating the law. That should put them in my face where if they meet the 3 prongs of use of force, they'll be taking a nap while they get a ride to the hospital.

If they don't bite on that, I'll film as I stated and turn that over to leo's. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
29,109 Posts
I like that plan, brownie! (y)(y)

Reactions: brownie

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Someone should have filmed the license plate of the car they were in for starters.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Assuming I knew who the initial aggressor was in that particular situation (and that's a big if), I don't think I'd need to draw my firearm to intervene. A good shot to the side of the head would probably be enough to put the attacker on her ass. The men in that situation were apparently too chivalrous to punch a woman...but I'm not.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
A woman could really hurt you. We are at a disadvantage because we’ve all been taught never to hurt a woman. I had one flip the switch from normal to crazy and stabbed me in my new bullet proof vest with a barbecue fork. Ever since then I have treated women with even greater respect.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Assuming I knew who the initial aggressor was in that particular situation (and that's a big if), I don't think I'd need to draw my firearm to intervene. A good shot to the side of the head would probably be enough to put the attacker on her ass. The men in that situation were apparently too chivalrous to punch a woman...but I'm not.
I disagree, it would not matter who the initial aggressor was that started it. One woman was sitting on the ground on her rear end getting pummled. Even if she did start it, once she was put on her butt and no longer fighting and a threat, the other person did not have a right to keep whaling on her like that and also getting stomped in the back by the other person.

Once the treat is over, you are supposed to stop and disengage. At that point you are no longer defending, your attacking. Yes there is a fine line I know as we all fear a re-engagement and that is certainly possible, but if you shoot someone and they go down and the threat is over, you don’t get to walk up to them and keep shooting them.

At some point the line is drawn. it is a very subjective line I agree. But I think LEO seeing that video with the girl on the ground getting punched continously, I don’t believe they would think she is the aggressor in that case even if she was initially.

And yeah, I agree, hitting a girl is sometimes necessary as they can do just as much harm as a man can. I’m not concerned about that as no “lady” would ever be acting in that manner anyway.

YMMV

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
I disagree, it would not matter who the initial aggressor was that started it. One woman was sitting on the ground on her rear end getting pummled. Even if she did start it, once she was put on her butt and no longer fighting and a threat, the other person did not have a right to keep whaling on her like that and also getting stomped in the back by the other person.

Once the treat is over, you are supposed to stop and disengage. At that point you are no longer defending, your attacking. Yes there is a fine line I know as we all fear a re-engagement and that is certainly possible, but if you shoot someone and they go down and the threat is over, you don’t get to walk up to them and keep shooting them.

At some point the line is drawn. it is a very subjective line I agree. But I think LEO seeing that video with the girl on the ground getting punched continously, I don’t believe they would think she is the aggressor in that case even if she was initially.

And yeah, I agree, hitting a girl is sometimes necessary as they can do just as much harm as a man can. I’m not concerned about that as no “lady” would ever be acting in that manner anyway.

YMMV
And I disagree with your disagreement. If the woman receiving the beatdown had just attempted to kidnap the other woman's infant for example, I'll just be a good witness...or not. :whistle:

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Well I guess we could play the game either way. The video wasn’t about a kidnapped child, it was about a ”stolen” parking space. However you did state assuming you knew who the aggressor was in that situation and that was a big if.... so with that stated, you might not have known the situation of the beat down...

If any event, there comes a time when the level of force being used to defend oneself has to be reasonable and justified for the level of force the aggressor is using. LEOs deal with this daily, citizens not so much. And once the threat is over, one must stop or else run the risk of your level of force being “excessive” or unreasonable and therefore risk being the one that gets charged.

I think we all agree that shooting someone that is able to shoot you is legit. Once they drop and no longer pose a viable threat to you and you can clearly see that they are no longer a threat, walking up to them and administering a Coup de’ grace in the head would not be justified.

Same goes for the use of force going “hands on”. Yes there is likely a greater latitude and one can more easily articulate their use of force in most cases, but there comes a time when that becomes excessive too. I think in this case seeing a girl sitting on her butt unable to defend herself and the other person whaling on her keeps going....I think the standing person is gonna have some answering to do. It’s not your place to meter out justice, it’s your place to stop the attack and protect yourself. The justice part is for the courts to do. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I’m actually aware of a coup de grace murder case locally. I believe it was a burglar that was shot, fell to the ground and then the homeowner planted an extra round in his head as he laid on the kitchen floor.

·
Super Moderator
29,109 Posts
I’m actually aware of a coup de grace murder case locally. I believe it was a burglar that was shot, fell to the ground and then the homeowner planted an extra round in his head as he laid on the kitchen floor.
I seem to remember that case. Homeowner was charged and prosecuted if I remember correctly. :unsure:

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
I seem to remember that case. Homeowner was charged and prosecuted if I remember correctly. :unsure:
I don’t recall that one off hand, I was thinking more of the pharmacist that shot the gunman, dropped him, then walked up to him and shot him in the head or again while he was down and out, I think, killing him. He went to jail if I’m not mistaken. And that was the point I was trying to make in my post #s 32 & 34.

·
Super Moderator
29,109 Posts
I don’t recall that one off hand, I was thinking more of the pharmacist that shot the gunman, dropped him, then walked up to him and shot him in the head or again while he was down and out, I think, killing him. He went to jail if I’m not mistaken. And that was the point I was trying to make in my post #s 32 & 34.
Was that case in Florida? I seem to remember a similar case a few years ago before I moved back home in 2017. :unsure:

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
I know what you mean. I always said “they call us ambulance chasers and they call us names but when they get in trouble they call us.”
Most of the attorney jokes I ever heard were told to me by attorneys, and my favorite provided me with the comment I told several that I had the pleasure of working with; “you know, you’re a one percenter. It’s the other 99% of attorneys that make y’all look bad!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts