Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am kind of new to this CCW world. I got my permit about 1 month ago and have been going about with a S&W 357 J frame 640 with 38 +p ammo in it. Today I went to the range and shot the target titled 38special.jpg. Those are 50 rounds at 7 yards. The first question is "Is this good enough" knowing that ther is always room for improvement.

Then I rented a Taurus 1911 and I shot another 50 rounds which are in the picture titled 1911.jpg. I am worried about the significant difference in accuracy and even though I am already having enough trouble carrying around a J frame (" if I pocket carry I feel it is like trying to carry a can of coke in your pants all the time and if on OWB I am very self concious about the subject"), should I get myself a 45 ACP 1911 or a compact version of it since I apparently shoot it significantly better.

The other concern I have with the 1911 thing is the whole carrying "cocked and locked". Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
11,170 Posts
A 5" 1911 (or any other full-size defensive pistol, for that matter) is vastly easier to shoot well than a J-frame revolver, so I wouldn't get too worked up over the difference in your shooting performance with each (and FWIW, your .38 target looks plenty accurate for defensive work to me). You may also find that a compact 1911 is not quite as easy to shoot as its full size counterpart.

Carrying a concealed weapon is always a balancing act between ease of use vs. ease of concealment, but you should never sacrifice the ability to deliver accurate fire in a suitable caliber for the sake of concealability.

I would recommend renting some more guns...you may find something else, perhaps a medium frame 9mm, that you also shoot well and is easier to conceal than a full-size 1911.

·
Super Moderator
10,783 Posts
Drbarbara, I agree with Deadeyedick, but since you already have the S&W, I'd go a few hundred rounds with it (at least) before making any decisions. Once you become accustomed to the long trigger pull, you may like it.

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
Do a TON of dry-fire practice with that j-frame until you can isolate the trigger-pull motion to just your trigger finger. It will go a long way in improving your accuracy w/ the little gun.

It's not a bullseye pistol. It's 5-for-sure when you need it most.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts