Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
26,332 Posts
:2thumsup Bob!

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Very good little article Bob. Love the last part of paragraph two "Or, alternately, they’ve taken a class from some tactard trainer who developed his own doctrine in his mom’s basement, while waiting for his on-lines friends to join in on a Call of Duty game." :grin

The end of the article reminded me of something I heard up here in Jax. I know you are ticked at most of the NFL anymore but we have a youngster up here on the team named Josh Allen. He is a heckuva good defensive end. On a highlight show this season he deflected some praise thrown his way saying that was not for him to speak on. He had gotten that attitude from a teammate, Calais Campbell, who said never praise yourself, let others do that and everything will take care of itself. Stay humble. Young Josh does exactly that and never disparages someone else. Seems to be a fine young man. Oh, and he always stands for the national anthem.

·
Registered
20,254 Posts
good read...

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Great post Bob COD PS4 champs will find things are differnet than running out of snacks or spilling their soda. $hit get's deep when someone who can shoot is trying to kill them, if they live to get replacement pants and underware maybe then they will get some training and range time.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
The last paragraph really struck home for me. It doesn't matter how old you are, or what techniques you believe in; if you have to disparage others in order to make yourself feel better, then I have absolutely no interest in anything that you have to say.

(Which probably explains my feelings towards almost all politicians!)

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Let me start by saying I am so far past the millenial stage, my children predate the millennials. That said, I’d rate the article as an “A” as a rant and as an “F” as a piece of persuasive literature. One can preach to the choir using the tone embodied in the OP’s cited work, but one will never persuade a non-believer using that tone.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Good read, thanks Bob

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is a very good point. The tone was pretty condescending.
I AM pretty sure the guy that wrote it doesn't give a rhats azz about the snowflake feelings. I dunno. But patience with stupidity isn't easy.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I AM pretty sure the guy that wrote it doesn't give a rhats azz about the snowflake feelings. I dunno. But patience with stupidity isn't easy.
As I said, an "A" as a rant, an "F" as a piece of persuasive writing. It may help the author to blow off steam by writing an article such as you posted, but in the long run it isn't going to help us win the battle for the hearts and minds of the younger generations, which we must do if we want the blessings of liberty to flow down to our descendants. He won't get people to see the wisdom of his position by talking down to them. And it is not very smart to take someone who may be either on the fence or mildly opposed to the Second Amendment and turn them into a committed opponent by condescending to them. That's my thoughts on the subject, I can understand that others may disagree with me, but they will have an uphill battle convincing me that the instincts for persuasion I've developed over thirty years of more or less continual effort are wrong. Not a piece of writing which advanced the cause.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
as i said, an "a" as a rant, an "f" as a piece of persuasive writing... And it is not very smart to take someone who may be either on the fence or mildly opposed to the second amendment and turn them into a committed opponent by condescending to them.
exactly!!!

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As I said, an "A" as a rant, an "F" as a piece of persuasive writing. It may help the author to blow off steam by writing an article such as you posted, but in the long run it isn't going to help us win the battle for the hearts and minds of the younger generations, which we must do if we want the blessings of liberty to flow down to our descendants. He won't get people to see the wisdom of his position by talking down to them. And it is not very smart to take someone who may be either on the fence or mildly opposed to the Second Amendment and turn them into a committed opponent by condescending to them. That's my thoughts on the subject, I can understand that others may disagree with me, but they will have an uphill battle convincing me that the instincts for persuasion I've developed over thirty years of more or less continual effort are wrong. Not a piece of writing which advanced the cause.
Ya need to have talked to Cooper, Clint Smith, Louis Awerbuck, Jim Cirillo for a clue on how this has nothing to do with second amendment and everything to do with training curriculum . It has everything to do with derp training. You can promote the 2nd amendment and zero training. This is a result of youtube warriors and showtime training videos.

I disagree with your intent that you think this will be in anyway dealing with 2nd amendment rights.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Let me start by saying I am so far past the millenial stage, my children predate the millennials. That said, I’d rate the article as an “A” as a rant and as an “F” as a piece of persuasive literature. One can preach to the choir using the tone embodied in the OP’s cited work, but one will never persuade a non-believer using that tone.
You are right, my bad- I confused this article with one I saw on another forum which addressed second amendment concerns in a similar condescending manner. I should have reread it before posting.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts