Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to go unarmed for a whole week for the first time since I started carrying. I don't feel good about this but I have no choice. I am going on a cruise and there is no way I can carry onboard. Here is a part of the rules that that I have to follow.

WHAT NOT TO PACK.
For the safety of our guests, the following items are not allowed onboard:
irons / steamers <> candles <> illegal drugs <> coffee makers <>
electrical transformers <> flammable liquids or explosives, such as
fireworks or pyrotechnics <> firearms including non-firing weapons and
starting pistols including BB guns, air guns, gun lighters, flare guns, gun
power, and pellet guns <> ammunition, including bullets, shot or missile
that can be fired using a propellant <> imitation or replica weapons,
including de-commissioned weapons or those not capable of being fired
that are obviously not children's toys <> taser or electronic stun guns <>
pepper or mace sprays <> telescopic or regular batons <> martial arts
equipment (flails, throwing stars, etc.) <> compressed gas
bottles/cylinders (dive tanks are allowed if they are empty and medical
gas bottles are allowed) <> diver spear gun <> fuel of any kind <> knives
with blades longer than 4 inches <> lockback serrated knives of any
length <> disguised knives such as belt buckles, flick knives, or hunting
knives <> axes and hatchets <> handcuffs.

I know I should be relaxed and enjoy myself (which I will do) but It's going to be a little tough not having my friend on my side :D. I'm sure I'll have withdrawal symptoms. I'll just have to rely on another form of self defense while onboard the ship and out and about at the different ports.

I'm driving to and parking at the Port of Miami and I want to be armed when I return but I wonder if it's safe to leave my weapon locked away in a COM safe in the vehicle while I'm away. All this i have to work out but wish me luck.

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
Enjoy your vacation NK!

I would be very leery of leaving a firearm in a locked car for a week. You might want to call the cruise line and ask about the security at that parking facility, but I think I might opt to leave the gun at home.

·
Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
NkmG19,

Based upon that assorted list I'm assuming that they've encountered each and every one of these items at one point. It really sounds like they are trying to cover their bases in trying to eliminate potential unpleasant situations for their cruising guests once they board ship. Although I'd also add that if all of these items surfaced on one cruise that would be quite a memorable trip! I'm sure that even with all of these toys that will be taken away people still manage to enjoy themselves on cruises. I'm assuming they are leaving it up to their guests to arrive alive and get home alive.

Watch your back and don't go off the beaten path. And *don't* wear sock and sandals, you will be flagged as a tourist and could potentially be a target. haha

MamaBear

ps - I have no solution to your not being able to carry but thought I'd post my thoughts anyway. Sorry I'm no help. I'm sure you'll be hugging your gun once you get home. Separation can be good for any relationship, right?

·
Registered
11,170 Posts
You could probably get away with something like this...

Sounds like the restrictions allow for a multi-tool; might not be a bad thing to bring in your luggage (not to stab your fellow passengers with, of course :D).

I wouldn't be too concerned about being unarmed in a closed environment like a cruise ship; just watch you a$$ ashore...you certainly wouldn't want to get popped carrying a concealed weapon in a foreign port-of-call.

I went on a ham-and-egger Carnival cruise back in the late 90's and I went on the bridge tour; I distinctly recall that there was a compartment on the bridge wing clearly marked "WEAPONS LOCKER". I asked one of the officers what they had in there and he politely told me that they couldn't discuss that topic. I asked a security guy later what the deal was and he told me that only the ship's officers had access to the weapons locker.

Based on what I've read from sources of varying credibility, I would speculate that a cruise ship would be armed with at least several magazine-fed rifles such as AR-15s and possibly one or more belt-fed weapons.

And the LRAD http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_range_acoustic_device has been successfully deployed by a cruise ship to repel an attack by pirates off the coast of Somalia. Interestingly enough, the cruise ship involved in that incident, the Seabourn Spirit, is a sister ship to the one featured in the movie Speed II.

That pretty much sums up my knowledge of weapons as it relates to cruise ships. :laughing

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
seems like they covered everything on that list,hey enjoy your vacation eat like you never ate before cause the food is there man enjoy it.relax and enjoy

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
have fun! :thumsup

·
Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
I am about to go unarmed for a whole week for the first time since I started carrying. I don't feel good about this but I have no choice. I am going on a cruise and there is no way I can carry onboard.
NkmG19,

I've noticed you're posting again which I assume means you are back from your cruise. Did you enjoy your cruise? Did you feel safe while on board?

Curious,

MamaBear, who you couldn't pay to go on a cruise. (It's one of my quirks. No way, man.)

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NkmG19,

I've noticed you're posting again which I assume means you are back from your cruise. Did you enjoy your cruise? Did you feel safe while on board?

Curious,

MamaBear, who you couldn't pay to go on a cruise. (It's one of my quirks. No way, man.)
Hey Mamabear, yeah I'm back on dry land. We had plenty fun and lots of food.
Our room did have a safe for valuables and we practiced common sense when onshore in the different countries. There are so many post that I have to catch up on but I enjoy reading everyone.

I do recommend a cruise for you Mamabear because room and board is taken cared of. Your meals are free and you get to wake up in a different country everyday.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Hey Mamabear, yeah I'm back on dry land. We had plenty fun and lots of food.
Our room did have a safe for valuables and we practiced common sense when onshore in the different countries. There are so many post that I have to catch up on but I enjoy reading everyone.

I do recommend a cruise for you Mamabear because room and board is taken cared of. Your meals are free and you get to wake up in a different country everyday.
Did everything go OK with keeping your firearm locked up in your car?

I would have done the same thing. Now that I have my CWL I carry everywhere I am able to do so legally.

Glad you had a good vacation and welcome back! :drinks

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
I'm of the same persuasion..you couldn't pay me to get on one of those things. If I get out of sight of land..I'm done, the old high anxiety kicks in.. Somehow I dont fear flying though. But them damn boats..whew..thats along ways to be swimming.

BTW, welcome back NkmG19, hope ya'll had a good time. Glad to see ya back on dry land safe and sound.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did everything go OK with keeping your firearm locked up in your car?

I would have done the same thing. Now that I have my CWL I carry everywhere I am able to do so legally.
I ended up leaving my weapon in a newly found secret compartment under the jack compartment under the back seat inside the cab. No one would have found it there. It's funny how you find a way to accomplish something when you really want to. It was nice to leave customs and go straight to my vehicle and strap on the Glock.

Glad to be back and catching up on posts.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Good to have you back. I bet it felt so good to go into your "new" hidden compartment and get your "gat" back on. I went to a high school football game Friday night and I couldn't wait to get back home to get mine. I almost wished I had worn it because there were a handful of copes and hundreds of teeny boppers and thuggish looking guys running around blocking the walkways in the stands and entrance/exit gates. It just didn't feel right. I kept getting the feeling that something was going to happen because of the lack of uniformed officers. Nothing did, thank goodness.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts