Florida Concealed Carry banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I don't know where you are located, Gallery of Guns in Jacksonville has rental guns and a range. So does Basics Range and Gun in Orange Park. (West Jacksonville) Best to go during the work week if you can.
Geoff
Who has shot at both, pay attention to the rules, you will have to use their ammo in their guns.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I don't know where you are located, Gallery of Guns in Jacksonville has rental guns and a range. So does Basics Range and Gun in Orange Park. (West Jacksonville) Best to go during the work week if you can.
Geoff
Who has shot at both, pay attention to the rules, you will have to use their ammo in their guns.
Did you mean Gallery of Guns in Jacksonville or Gun Gallery in Jacksonville? I always thought Gallery of Guns maintained an online presence only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
32,233 Posts
She does not have a carry license and wants to buy a handgun with the 4473 in her name. May also want to purchase online. Is this something she can do legally and what is involved. I have never purchased a firearm online so I have no idea how this works. Any help is appreciated.
If you're really near Jacksonville, go see Scott W. at "On Target Sports" in Orange Park, or better yet, send him a PM at rvrctyrngr. He is very familiar with FCC as a Moderator here (not very active for a while) but he's very knowledgeable and great at working with people on choosing the right firearm for them. He's a USN Vet, too.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
If you're really near Jacksonville, go see Scott W. at "On Target Sports" in Orange Park, or better yet, send him a PM at rvrctyrngr. He is very familiar with FCC as a Moderator here (not very active for a while) but he's very knowledgeable and great at working with people on choosing the right firearm for them. He's a USN Vet, too.
I have met Scott. I thought someone had said he was no longer at OTS. Guess I heard wrong. That is a good plan as that is exactly what I wanted her to do. She can handle different handguns and pick the one that is best for her. Thank you for mentioning this.

·
Super Moderator
32,233 Posts
I have met Scott. I thought someone had said he was no longer at OTS. Guess I heard wrong. That is a good plan as that is exactly what I wanted her to do. She can handle different handguns and pick the one that is best for her. Thank you for mentioning this.
Not sure but could be true that he isn't at OTS anymore. I haven't talked to him in a little while. :unsure:

·
Registered
2,080 Posts

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I don't think you can "start the clock" on a waiting period when an online purchase happens? Like if I got a handgun via Brownells dot com today and it didn't get here til next week, the clock would have been exhausted?

I think the clock starts when a successful FDLE inquiry is returned. So like if the handgun is paid for today online and doesn't get to the FFL til next Monday and the buyer gets the FDLE check that day, it's gonna be Thursday or Friday before the handgun can go home? Because the receiving FFL does the check, not Brownells. You have to be present for a normal FDLE/NICS inquiry.

Reason I say handgun is because long guns can go home the same day under Florida law without a CWFL. Handguns, without the purchaser having a CWFL, have to wait.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
The clock starts with the backround check. It is great that your wife wants her own guns ,how about a gift card for a concealed carry class and a good custom holster.
Yep, exactly. Like the state has no way of really authenticating when the gun was purchased online. The clock starts when the FDLE inquiry is passed successfully.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I have waited to update this thread as now she is starting to balk on her decision. Cost is the deciding factor. She is looking at everything in life going up in cost and not wanting to spend the money for something 'she' thinks she will never need. Such is life here. Although I don't foresee a change, I will update if there is. Thank you to everyone who offered help.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
If cost is an issue, many online outlets offer financing nowadays through Credova which is like Affirm but for guns.

That being said, there's also cheap-er quality options. Just a few I found.

Used Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm full-size pistol. LE trade in so basically it was shot at the range twice a year and maybe a few times outside of that. Unless you got a cop who cares about his or her marksmanship, police weapons are typically low-mileage. May need some TLC for rust spots etc. Depends.

Palmetto State Armory's new Dagger line of pistols. Most a tad under $300. They're basically clones of the GLOCK 19 Gen 3. They will accept magazines from that gun, too. The reports all say they are great for the price point.

Simple fact is that in this day and age, it's advisable for most of us to have a weapon handy.

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
If she is going to be carrying in her purse, Get get a Lady Smith or any wheel gun.
A lot safer then a glock type striker fire.
Just a thought after seeing and hearing of guns going off in handbags accidentally.
Ronnie

• Helpful
Reactions: inthewoods

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Regarding the cost issue... Guns are one of the few durable products in this world that suffer almost NO depreciation as they age. In fact, many go UP in value as they get older. I could sell almost all of the guns that I own today for more than what I paid for them.

So, it might be worth pointing out to her that she can buy a gun today, and if she decides later that she doesn't want it, you will be able to sell it for (worst case scenario) almost as much as you paid for it, and possibly (best case scenario) quite a bit more than you paid for it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
It is not that we can't, she started seeing associated costs as in training, equipment to carry,ammo, etc.I reckon she would rather spend that kind of money on kitchen toys. I have tried to get her to change her mind, but no luck.

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
Yep, Always good to have a gun if staying in a cheap seedy hotel or motel.
Ronnie

21 - 40 of 40 Posts