Florida Concealed Carry banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,570 Posts
I don’t think we can label him coy or dishonest regarding his comment. It was just a comment and perhaps his opinion. It did make me think and after I reread the title and the article maybe he has a point.

It was a very appropriate and timely news story to post. The lesson that we Second Amendment advocates would take from the story would likely be that folks should carry a gun to defend them selves. Three poor kids being murdered while fishing in a lake doesn’t really stand for the proposition that they should have been open carrying weapons as opposed to concealed carry I don’t think. If the bad guys approached with evil intent and saw open carried weapons and then retreated, It would be a perfect example of why we should have open carry.

I am as avid a fisherman as you will likely find. I have fished since I could walk, my dad was a big-time fisherman. I’ve fished in lakes, rivers, the East Coast, the West Coast and I ran an offshore charter boat for about 12 years. I’ve owned probably between 30 and 40 boats and still own three.

In the 60+ years that I’ve been a fisherman I have never seen anything that called out for the necessity of open carrying. (I don’t object to it ) There’s nothing inherently dangerous about fishing that I have seen other than an occasional snake I’ve hit with a paddle. I did shoot a shark with multiple rounds of tracer one time after it appeared he had possibly eaten some Cubans off a raft. Hunting, of course requires open carry as does shooting practice, going and coming.

If you were on the game show and said “hunting and blank” most people would immediately say fishing. I haven’t seen any of the legislative history on the law but, forgive the fish pun, I think the inclusion of fishing for open carry was a “fluke”.

If anybody can correct me, I’d like to see the documentation as to when we enacted the law and why. Most laws make some sense to me but I’m at a loss to see why if Johnny is heading down to the lake to get some bluegills he needs to wear an open carried firearm.
The point of Bob's post wasn't that they should have been OPEN carrying instead of concealed. Bob's point and that of many who responded was that even if the three men didn't have a permit to carry concealed, they still could have legally carried. Whatever the reason F.S. 790.25(3)(h) included fishing may be a legal curiosity, but it is a fact that it's allowed by statute. Others may believe differently, which is their right, but I stand by my opinion of Fish's post.

·
Super Moderator
26,570 Posts
Walker's Cay was the destination of my first Dual Cross-Country flight when I was learning to fly between my sophomore and junior years of highschool. Beautiful place and I believe I later read somewhere that Walker's Cay was one of Hemingway's favorite fishing destinations. (y)

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I just hesitate calling folks dishonest for their opinion or questions, even if in the alternative. We all mean well I believe.

The runway at Walkers is legendary, 2400 feet or so and sea level one end, cliff at the other. I’ve had a close call or two there. We used to fly a KingAir in and out. STOL city!

Hemmingway never fished Walkers to my knowledge. He was a regular at Bimini Big Game Club, other side of the chain.

·
Registered
20,299 Posts
I don’t think we can label him coy or dishonest regarding his comment. It was just a comment and perhaps his opinion. It did make me think and after I reread the title and the article maybe he has a point.

It was a very appropriate and timely news story to post. The lesson that we Second Amendment advocates would take from the story would likely be that folks should carry a gun to defend them selves. Three poor kids being murdered while fishing in a lake doesn’t really stand for the proposition that they should have been open carrying weapons as opposed to concealed carry I don’t think. If the bad guys approached with evil intent and saw open carried weapons and then retreated, It would be a perfect example of why we should have open carry.

I am as avid a fisherman as you will likely find. I have fished since I could walk, my dad was a big-time fisherman. I’ve fished in lakes, rivers, the East Coast, the West Coast and I ran an offshore charter boat for about 12 years. I’ve owned probably between 30 and 40 boats and still own three.

In the 60+ years that I’ve been a fisherman I have never seen anything that called out for the necessity of open carrying. (I don’t object to it ) There’s nothing inherently dangerous about fishing that I have seen other than an occasional snake I’ve hit with a paddle. I did shoot a shark with multiple rounds of tracer one time after it appeared he had possibly eaten some Cubans off a raft. Hunting, of course requires open carry as does shooting practice, going and coming.

If you were on the game show and said “hunting and blank” most people would immediately say fishing. I haven’t seen any of the legislative history on the law but, forgive the fish pun, I think the inclusion of fishing for open carry was a “fluke”.

If anybody can correct me, I’d like to see the documentation as to when we enacted the law and why. Most laws make some sense to me but I’m at a loss to see why if Johnny is heading down to the lake to get some bluegills he needs to wear an open carried firearm.
i cant believe i even read the bolded...people have walked around nyc central park for more years than you have fished and never got mugged either...but the people who did probably have a different view of defending themselves now....if they are alive to tell the tale...as far as the inclusion of fishing with being a fluke...let's visit camping also...all of these have great potential of putting a person in remote areas with no immediate help available...sound like a position that might be ripe for protection of some sort?...whether it was ever meant for fishing by boat or not, you have seen stories here already that indicate it might come in handy...is that too anecdotal or does it have to happen to you to qualify?...

·
Registered
811 Posts
“Three poor kids”! Wow! You are seriously arrogant and condescending.
I too spent much of my summers in Walker’s. New Billy Black and Mr. Adplanalp. We were the poor white trash on the old wood hull 63’ Chesapeake Bay trawler “Oysterman”.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Bnb

Camping makes a lot of sense. I hope you understood what I was saying. In Florida, before something is enacted as law, There’s usually a legislative history. They debate the law and discuss the reasons for its being. I’ve just never heard anything about fishing being inherently dangerous. The stuff about muggings and such doesn’t make any sense on the subject. I’ve fished about anywhere you could possibly fish. All laws generally have a reason. Maybe I’m mistaken but I thought I recalled that you were a service writer. I’m sure there’s a law that estimates have to be written and the reason behind the rule is so there are no surprises because it’s better that things are documented. Some dealerships have tricked people and tried to get a bunch of money they didn’t deserve. That’s what I’m talking about.

If I told people I’m going camping, I’ve had them ask “what are you carrying in case a Bear shows up?” I know what the law is on fishing but it’s just one part of the law that doesn’t make sense to me. I’ve never told somebody I was going to go out and get a mess of Trout and had them say “Fishing, oh my God you need to be packing heat”

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Friend, you were totally mistaken if you think I was commenting on those kids financial situation. I have no information one way or another on that. And what in the world would it have mattered? I was referring to feeling horrible for their loss and equally bad for the poor father that has to live with that memory. I hope they roast the perpetrators and likewise hope you have the decency to apologize to me. I don’t speak ill of the dead ever. Your comment was inappropriate. I understand the mistake though but, given two alternatives, maybe it’s better to think the best in people and not insult them, eh?

I think I remember the boat, where did you dock? I had the Hambone II charter boat that we kept on the east side of the center dock. It was a 48 foot pacemaker sport fish. What years were you there? I even fished there in the late 70s on a honeymoon. The fish stories lasted a lot longer than the marriage.

·
Super Moderator
26,570 Posts
I personally don't see a large disparity between fishing, hunting, and camping to question the logic of including all of these outdoor activities in f.s. 790.25(3)(h). Each outdoor activity has potential for encounters with wildlife that might see a human as a threat or even a meal. I also don't forget that bears like [to] fish, too. ;) Also, while I'm no expert on fishing, I am pretty sure there are plenty of places, particularly in the interior of Florida where there might be some pretty threatening creatures a fisherman may encounter. :unsure:

Reactions: bladenbullet

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I was on my way to Walkers Cat back in the 80’s, alone on my 25’ Mako Center Console. Been making that same trip since 1986 every year through 5 different boats.
Passed by Memory Rock on Mantanella Shoals. Two Bahamaians on a boat with the engines up fired a flair in the air.
I went over and pulled up 20 yrds from them. They said come over, we are broke down, let us on board your boat and you can tow us to West End. I said nahhhhh how about I throw you a line and tow you in?
They were adamant they were boarding my boat and I said screw you. You want help or not? Reached down and set the Mossberg Mariner on the console. They said never mind we will wait.
I took off and about 1/2 mile a way stopped. Watched them drop the engines and take off through binoculars.
Pirates.
Right.....
At Memory Rock? Waiting for what?
Middle of nowhere.
Good for spearfishing, and that's about it.

I would have to agree: Not broke down, and up to no good!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I would like to see the legislature allow open carry and USE - with varmit ammo - so we can get rid of these damned invasive species.
Iguanas come immediately to mind.

I know it'll never happen, but it would be a boon for CCI 9mm shot shells if the State would only allow it.
And I'm sure would reduce the iguana populations far more effectively than anything else they've tried / will try.

·
Registered
16,471 Posts
I’m confused. Article says when dad got there he found his son barely alive. Left to go call 911. And then it says when ems got there they found all three dead. Did the dad leave his dying son to go call 911 or what? If so wtf?

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
BH, i’ll see if I can find out why fishing was included. We don’t have any migrating salmon in Florida or bears “fishing“. I’ve hunted and camped and agree with you there. While fishing I saw a Water Moccasin one time, but nothing especially dangerous.

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
The best fising is often far away and no one around, can't count on all the locals being friendly open carry sends a message don't F-with me or get buried at sea hooked to something heavy. Normally it would be 911 but now a fair shake is not a sure thing.

·
Super Moderator
26,570 Posts
BH, i’ll see if I can find out why fishing was included. We don’t have any migrating salmon in Florida or bears “fishing“. I’ve hunted and camped and agree with you there. While fishing I saw a Water Moccasin one time, but nothing especially dangerous.
Guess you missed the wink after the bears/fish sentence. And in the last sentence, "creatures" has lots of connotations, which includes those walking on two legs.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
I’m confused. Article says when dad got there he found his son barely alive. Left to go call 911. And then it says when ems got there they found all three dead. Did the dad leave his dying son to go call 911 or what? If so wtf?
Im just as confused. IMHO, there‘s something missing here. Based on the few articles I’ve read, the dad received a call from the son simply saying help. Dad got there but realized he didn’t have his cellphone so he left to find a phone at a gas station or similar.

So, the son’s phone disappeared? No5 to mention, if I found my son bleeding and dying, I’d have shoved his ass in the car and take with me. What father leaves their kid in that way?

Granted, the article(s) ive read could be inaccurate and I could have misread.

·
Registered
15,044 Posts
I've had gators swim up to the boat and stepped on a cottonmouth boarding the boat at Orange Lake. Viable reasons for someone without a license to open carry, as they are not allowed to conceal carry

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Bnb

Camping makes a lot of sense. I hope you understood what I was saying. In Florida, before something is enacted as law, There’s usually a legislative history. They debate the law and discuss the reasons for its being. I’ve just never heard anything about fishing being inherently dangerous. The stuff about muggings and such doesn’t make any sense on the subject. I’ve fished about anywhere you could possibly fish. All laws generally have a reason. Maybe I’m mistaken but I thought I recalled that you were a service writer. I’m sure there’s a law that estimates have to be written and the reason behind the rule is so there are no surprises because it’s better that things are documented. Some dealerships have tricked people and tried to get a bunch of money they didn’t deserve. That’s what I’m talking about.

If I told people I’m going camping, I’ve had them ask “what are you carrying in case a Bear shows up?” I know what the law is on fishing but it’s just one part of the law that doesn’t make sense to me. I’ve never told somebody I was going to go out and get a mess of Trout and had them say “Fishing, oh my God you need to be packing heat”
You never saw the movie "Jaws"? :)
And now I have to wonder: Did "open carry while fishing" come about as a result of that movie? :unsure:

21 - 40 of 59 Posts