1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
13,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Strange indeed. Been there quite a bit, NOT where you would expect 1, let alone 3 beaten & shot. Had to be multiple assailants, but why? Used to fish several lakes from Lake Wales to Sebring, alone, in the middle of BFE, but NEVER unarmed. I did make a wrong turn once & wound up in a “ hood “ in the middle of an orange grove. I stuck out like a sore thumb to those that could see me, luckily it was almost dark & I was past before they knew it. The ones that did see me were telling as many as they could. Pretty weird they had vehicles that appeared to be staged at each end of the street, almost in the middle of the street, that went through the middle of the house rows. Multiple fire pits & piles of trash everywhere, & all the doors of the houses were open & people cooking & drinking & wandering all around, could barely do 10 miles an hour. Needless to say, thank god for Google Earth, showing me some trails out ..... & my F350 dually, for not being an easy looking target to stop. Definitely made a note of where that place was, never went back to that side of that lake. Hope they catch whose responsible for this. Sheriff Judd doesn’t give up & if they want a shoot out with the sheriffs department .... good luck!

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Unarmed with lots of nice stuff is a bad deal, not many here would make that mistake. I'm never un armed except at my doctor already surprised him when I thought I was just getting test results I could tell it was probably a first for him.

·
Super Moderator
26,631 Posts
They should have been carrying.......All three dead.

Geez Louise, that is so tragic! Agree with you totally, Bob. The chances are pretty low one would need to defend themselves, but when needed is not the time to start thinking about it. Hope they find the thugs who murdered those three! 😢

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Just a sight of a firearm can save your ass. I was about 50 miles offshore Port Canaveral in 1978 in a brand new 25 foot robalo center console. There was a large freighter south of me as I trolled along. Out of nowhere, a small runabout with two dark skinned guys came running toward me.They followed along in my wake as I continued to troll. I waved and got no response from them. I tried to raise them on channel 16 and got no response. We were outside the range of VHF radio’s to shore.

It was a weekday and we were the only boat out that far. When I pulled out the Mini-14 in a manner that allowed them to see it, they immediately took a sharp left and ran back to the freighter.(every other round was tracer, If I ever had to shoot at a pirate boat I figured I would aim for the fuel tank) I got the heck out of there and when we got to port I reported it to the Coast Guard. They told me they thought it was an attempted hijacking and they would have killed the two of us and stripped all the new stuff including the outboard and scuttled or burned the boat.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
I've had a concealed gun save me twice , once a robbery truck jacking at a ATM and once at a bar. I don't know what the plan was but it was not going to be good a guy I new not a friend yells" what are you going to do now Brian without your gun" when the two big dudes I didn't know yanked me off my chair jacket fell open and they found he was mistaken.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Tragic. Dad lost precious last minutes with his son having to leave to call 911. Three young men unprepared to defend themselves.
For those of you that may not know, you can call 911 from a smartphone even without knowing the unlock code.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Reactions: jnepier

·
Super Moderator
26,631 Posts
Reactions: YARDDOG

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
With a name like Fish, it would seem you would remember that open carry is allowed when you are fishing.
I understand that but they ALSO could have been concealed carrying (with permit).

·
Registered
54,333 Posts
Just a sight of a firearm can save your ass. I was about 50 miles offshore Port Canaveral in 1978 in a brand new 25 foot robalo center console. There was a large freighter south of me as I trolled along. Out of nowhere, a small runabout with two dark skinned guys came running toward me.They followed along in my wake as I continued to troll. I waved and got no response from them. I tried to raise them on channel 16 and got no response. We were outside the range of VHF radio’s to shore.

It was a weekday and we were the only boat out that far. When I pulled out the Mini-14 in a manner that allowed them to see it, they immediately took a sharp left and ran back to the freighter.(every other round was tracer, If I ever had to shoot at a pirate boat I figured I would aim for the fuel tank) I got the heck out of there and when we got to port I reported it to the Coast Guard. They told me they thought it was an attempted hijacking and they would have killed the two of us and stripped all the new stuff including the outboard and scuttled or burned the boat.
That era and for the next decade, overtaking vessels at sea was quite prevalent. Got some BG duty out of Ft. Meyers through another SIONICS graduate [ former US SEAL ] in the early/mid 80's. There strictly to prevent a boarding at sea. Only one incident where we had to repel but they never got closer than 200yrds in their scarab. I was ordered to fire my M1a with AN-PVS4 n/v attached across their bow at 400 yrds and closing fast after they'd been warned off repeatedly.

The scarab just kept coming, fast. At 200 I was ordered to put a few into their bow. That got their attention and they turned away. This was around 2:30am. Of 3 of us on that yacht, one was always positioned at the Loran in the pilot house. Interesting times at sea in S Fla. back in those days. Glad your message was heeded.

Sad story about those friends being found murdered.

·
Super Moderator
26,631 Posts
I understand that but they ALSO could have been concealed carrying (with permit).
You are either being coy or outright dishonest here because the thread title highlights "Why we have open carry in Fla. with or w/o permit," but in post #10, you specifically asked:

True,had they been carrying,they may well be alive today.
What I don't get is what does the above have to do with OPEN carry??????
You wonder why so many members here cannot take you seriously. . . This is one example why! (n)

·
Registered
13,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
True,had they been carrying,they may well be alive today.
What I don't get is what does the above have to do with OPEN carry??????
Real simple. You do not need a permit to open carry while going to, from and while you are at a gun range, fishing, hunting or camping. They were fishing. They could open carry a handgun or rifle to, from and while. Even if they had no CCP.

·
Registered
13,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was on my way to Walkers Cat back in the 80’s, alone on my 25’ Mako Center Console. Been making that same trip since 1986 every year through 5 different boats.
Passed by Memory Rock on Mantanella Shoals. Two Bahamaians on a boat with the engines up fired a flair in the air.
I went over and pulled up 20 yrds from them. They said come over, we are broke down, let us on board your boat and you can tow us to West End. I said nahhhhh how about I throw you a line and tow you in?
They were adamant they were boarding my boat and I said screw you. You want help or not? Reached down and set the Mossberg Mariner on the console. They said never mind we will wait.
I took off and about 1/2 mile a way stopped. Watched them drop the engines and take off through binoculars.
Pirates.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I don’t think we can label him coy or dishonest regarding his comment. It was just a comment and perhaps his opinion. It did make me think and after I reread the title and the article maybe he has a point.

It was a very appropriate and timely news story to post. The lesson that we Second Amendment advocates would take from the story would likely be that folks should carry a gun to defend them selves. Three poor kids being murdered while fishing in a lake doesn’t really stand for the proposition that they should have been open carrying weapons as opposed to concealed carry I don’t think. If the bad guys approached with evil intent and saw open carried weapons and then retreated, It would be a perfect example of why we should have open carry.

I am as avid a fisherman as you will likely find. I have fished since I could walk, my dad was a big-time fisherman. I’ve fished in lakes, rivers, the East Coast, the West Coast and I ran an offshore charter boat for about 12 years. I’ve owned probably between 30 and 40 boats and still own three.

In the 60+ years that I’ve been a fisherman I have never seen anything that called out for the necessity of open carrying. (I don’t object to it ) There’s nothing inherently dangerous about fishing that I have seen other than an occasional snake I’ve hit with a paddle. I did shoot a shark with multiple rounds of tracer one time after it appeared he had possibly eaten some Cubans off a raft. Hunting, of course requires open carry as does shooting practice, going and coming.

If you were on the game show and said “hunting and blank” most people would immediately say fishing. I haven’t seen any of the legislative history on the law but, forgive the fish pun, I think the inclusion of fishing for open carry was a “fluke”.

If anybody can correct me, I’d like to see the documentation as to when we enacted the law and why. Most laws make some sense to me but I’m at a loss to see why if Johnny is heading down to the lake to get some bluegills he needs to wear an open carried firearm.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Bob, I knew there was something I really liked about you. I fished Walker’s Cay every year since the 70s till it shut down. Billy black who ran the “duchess“ is a good friend as was Bob Abplanalp who owned the place. He was good friends with Nixon and Bene Rebozo and we used to see them show up at the island. You and I were probably there at the same time.

Were you the guy that tried to put a saddle on a blue marlin?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts