Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
Right now, the problem is getting reloading components for a reasonable price. Primers have been exceptionally difficult to find, and cost 5 times more than they did in 2019.

You can certainly load better ammo than factory ammo.

Reactions: 196THL.I.B.GUNNER

·
Super Moderator
10,868 Posts
Most reloaders will tell you- you don't save money, you just shoot a lot more. Nevertheless, it is the money IMO. Factory loads are generally just as good or nearly so. It may be a different story with rifle ammo.

·
Super Moderator
30,664 Posts
Just curious about reloading 9mm. Is it for a slight cost saving, better loads than factory or just to be better prepared if things go South?

thanks,
Jerry
Simple answer, I find it very therapeutic and at the same time very gratifying to "roll your own" ammo so to speak. You won't save money, only shoot more and spend lots of time scouring the internet for reloading components and supplies. There are four components to a cartridge: 1) cases, 2) projectiles, 3) primers, and 4) powder. However, right now unless you've stockpiled particularly items 3 and 4, you won't be reloading much at all until those items become available again! :confused:

Reactions: joecarry

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I personally would like to learn reloading (as a hobby, for shooting precision, and as potential money-saver) with .338 Lapua Magnum rounds.
I've got plenty of .338 in the safe to last a few years (maybe even longer at the recent rate I'm out shooting these days).

·
Super Moderator
30,664 Posts
I personally would like to learn reloading (as a hobby, for shooting precision, and as potential money-saver) with .338 Lapua Magnum rounds.
I've got plenty of .338 in the safe to last a few years (maybe even longer at the recent rate I'm out shooting these days).
I should have clarified my previous post, which was responding to a question about reloading primarily pistol caliber ammunition. However, for the serious long range shooting enthusiast, reloading allows more control over every aspect of each round of ammunition such that one can achieve more precise and accurate ammunition than possible in typical factory ammunition. I'm not that hard-core and even for rifle shooting this far, I reload more for the satisfaction that brings me. Perhaps that will change one day. :unsure:

·
Registered
854 Posts
I reload in order to always be able to "roll my own" and have ammo on hand. I enjoy loading up my own rounds and it's a hobby. But now that ammo such as 45-70 is $3+ per round for the cheap stuff, it is satisfying that I can load up a round for $0.50 or less based on the components I have on hand. Reloading 9mm is something I do simply because I can and to know I will have ammo. Back when 9mm was $0.15 per round, I could not reload it for much less than that. So it was definitely not cost effective.

If you were to try to get into reloading right now, it would cost a small fortune. I have slowed my shooting amount way down for the last two years simply because I did not want to exhaust my supply of primers. Primers are almost exclusively available on the second hand market at huge mark ups. When I got into reloading only 4 years ago, I could pick up a box of 1000 primers for $25 - $30. Now that same box is going for $75 if you hit the lottery in a store front. But the price for what's available is $125 per box of 1000.

Most all the other components such as bullets, powder, and brass is available. But without primers, it's all useless.

For me also, I like trying to find that "best" round for each gun I own. I enjoy making up a lot of 50 rounds with different powders, powder amount, bullet seating depths, etc... In one gun, it can go from 0.5 MOA to hardly on paper between different loads.

I can also load up very reduced recoil rounds for my children to shoot. I load a specific .308 round for them to shoot and it has less felt recoil than a .223 round.

Reloading just allows you to do so much more with your firearms than if you are just shooting factory loads.

·
Registered
854 Posts
If you want to get into long range precision shooting, reloading is almost a necessity.

·
Registered
8,676 Posts
I load for long range shooting 6.5CM,308.223,30-06 it would be too expensive to do it often if I didn't reload. If you are just starting start with pistol rounds first then move up after you have that down pat, many folks on here to help. good luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Lots of good info. I do have small pistol primers. (my friend was a re-loader but because of health concerns he quit reloading) I believe these are correct primers for 9 mm. I always save my brass. I will need to research what powder for 9mm Luger.

·
Super Moderator
30,664 Posts
Yes, 9mm cases use small pistol primers. Last time I loaded 9mm I used Titegroup and one other power the name of which escapes me right now (away from my reloading components), but several powders will work. Just make sure you have good reloading data for the powder your using and start with the lightest recommended powder charge and work your way up to what works best in your gun, paying attention to never exceed the maximum charge. :unsure:

Reactions: oldhunter1954

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
^^^ make sure you mark the box you put the rounds in with the power and charge. I mentioned this before on the bullet puller thread. I seriously overloaded some .45s years ago. I think I dyslexicly read the charge backward. Had I not been labeling my ammo boxes. I wouldn’t have know how many I had done. Luckily it was just a few hundred rounds of a new power I was trying. Had to pull them one at a time. :mad:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^^^ make sure you mark the box you put the rounds in with the power and charge. I mentioned this before on the bullet puller thread. I seriously overloaded some .45s years ago. I think I dyslexicly read the charge backward. Had I not been labeling my ammo boxes. I wouldn’t have know how many I had done. Luckily it was just a few hundred rounds of a new power I was trying. Had to pull them one at a time. :mad:
Thanks. My friend gave me 10 plastic ammo boxes by berry's bullets. Each hold 50 rounds.

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
You surely picked the right round to reload ! I loaded some back aways for a LEO guy , who used that exact round . When I looked up the loading data & the powder charges , Holy Smoke !

I just found myself a large funnel and a shovel to fill them up ! . Magnums no less , may the Good Lord bless your Shoulder :eek:;) I thought my 7MM Mag Kicked !

P.S. - Look what you're saving : Gas Prices , Your Ear Drums & Your Shoulder (y)💥💥🍻

1 - 16 of 16 Posts