Florida Concealed Carry banner
101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
The dremel and related instruments are similar to some of our lab gear but not clinical instruments.

But, here's something handy I brought home from the office:

View attachment 72109
[
Where do you buy those classes? i have the cheap verrsion. guss ssing they cun about 500-800 buddies?

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 · (Edited)
Where do you buy those classes? i have the cheap verrsion. guss ssing they cun about 500-800 buddies?
These are from a company that makes scopes for surgeons (of all kinds). $800 won't even get you in the door. :) Just the light was $1000. I wish I was kidding.

It depends on the magnification and the category of scope, too. That's about $4k sitting on my nose.

• Wow
Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
Oh wow! Don’t drop them! :oops: I hope you have a Pelican case for it.

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Oh wow! Don’t drop them! :oops: I hope you have a Pelican case for it.
I've got 4 sets! I still have my first "beginner" set (lower magnification). And, back then I got a back-up for that set (in case they broke, which they can and do). Then I moved up in magnification. And, then I moved up in magnification again (my most recent set).

I've been through about 6 sets of lights. The earlier versions were fiber-optic with the light source on a shelf behind me. Had to replace bulbs on those at $25 a pop. I've got a "graveyard" of those light units in my back storage closet. LEDs nowadays, of course. I've been through a couple of those.

• Wow
Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
OK... I spent some time chatting with an experienced builder last night and this morning. Phew! I've learned SO much. My biggest concern was whether the sear engagement was adequate. All the tutorials suggest 75% or more coverage. I was getting about 50% by my estimation.

All the "experts" kept saying, "You need OEM parts!" But, you can't GET OEM parts these days.

It dawned on me that I have a potential "donor" gun... my old Gen 2 G19! The trigger assembly is exactly the same as for a G17. Now... before yesterday, I wouldn't have dreamed of pulling one of my Glocks apart! But, NOW?? Man, I've got this down!

Sh*t... the old G19 only has 2 pins. Bing, bang, boom! This baby is apart!
Cake Wood Snips Font Pliers

Transplanted trigger assembly... Done!

Bumper Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Motor vehicle

Sear engagement with transplanted G19 trigger. It's about the same from what I can tell.

Gas Font Fashion accessory Electric blue Titanium

I think I'm going to drop-test this thing. If it passes, I'm gonna go shoot it!

Reactions: zukinut

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
If it sounds like an A10 when you pull the trigger, post a video!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: bladenbullet

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
If it sounds like an A10 when you pull the trigger, post a video!

LOL! Brrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaap!

OK... Did the drop test in all positions. The results were good except possibly one test.

So, I dropped from head level onto a ream of paper (simulated phone book!) in every orientation with a mag loaded with snap caps.

It passed every way except with the grip down (mag hits first)....

Really weird (to me). It ejected a round every time I did that. When I picked up the gun, it was still cocked with sear engaged. How did THAT happen? To do that, the slide would have to cycle, right? How can it cycle with no explosion to move the slide back?

If I drop it with an empty mag, grip down towards the floor, the sear engagement holds up. Passes the test.

'Splain that to me, Lucy!

Here, the sear engagement looks the SAME to me. Also, the little lobe of the connector has the same angle. Another "expert" told me that it should be a 90-degree angle.

Automotive lighting Font Fixture Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Wow....never seen anyone have this much trouble with a build. Mine and everyone I know has a Glock 19 style build though. There should not be that much of a difference....actually should be no difference. 9 times out of 10 replacing or tweaking the connector angle solves the problem. You might have a slightly bent cruciform though so replacing the trigger might solve the problem. Hope it does.

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
I've now transplanted the entire trigger group and striker assembly from my true-blue OEM G19 to the P80.

Sear engagement looked better from what I could tell.

Product Gas Auto part Font Machine

And.... same f**king problem. If I drop it on the mag, it ejects a round and loads the next. How the ***k that is happening, I have NO idea. And, so far nobody else can explain it.

I finished the frame to PERFECTION. On the first try, mind you. I did everything not just "right," but super-duper right.

I'm at a loss as to what to do now. I feel like I've spent a shitload of money and a LOT of time on this. The P80 makers and enthusiasts should warn newbies to not even get started unless they can get AUTHENTIC OEM LPKs and UPKs. But, even having transplanted OEM parts from my G19... no joy.

Unfortunately, that does not seem possible today or for the distant future. This is very very disappointing. I feel I was misled. And, I know I did a great job on the frame finishing. 😎 I know that isn't the problem.

And, I didn't cheap out on the slide or barrel, either! I got GOOD stuff. And, it all fits PERFECTLY. But, it doesn't FUNCTION perfectly.

But, what is the point of doing all this, if the only way to "make a Glock" is to buy an entire OEM Glock? If we take away the aftermarket customization, all we have left is... well... an actual Glock from the factory on a different frame.

·
Registered
21,082 Posts
Pass the popcorn...

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
I'm heading to the range! I am anxious to see how this bad boy shoots.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material

If you don't hear back from me... send an ambulance!

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
I’m sure it’ll be fine, good luck.

·
Super Moderator
30,165 Posts
🍿

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
I made it back, and I've still got 10 fingers, two eyes, two ears, a nose, and all my teeth!

First, I loaded one round and fired.

Then three rounds. Then six. Then ten.

Move to 15 yards... Not so impressed with my shooting. It's not the gun. It's me being nervous and not being used to the sights.

Full mag (17 rounds) added to the target.

Then 25 yards. First 2 shots:

Add some more rounds at 25 yards:

Back to 7 yards to shoot at a silhouette offhand.

Not a single malfunction! No kidding. No failures to feed. No failures to eject. 100 rounds total fired.

·
Super Moderator
30,165 Posts
I made it back, and I've still got 10 fingers, two eyes, two ears, a nose, and all my teeth!

First, I loaded one round and fired.

Then three rounds. Then six. Then ten.

Move to 15 yards... Not so impressed with my shooting. It's not the gun. It's me being nervous and not being used to the sights.

Full mag (17 rounds) added to the target.

Then 25 yards. First 2 shots:

Add some more rounds at 25 yards:

Back to 7 yards to shoot at a silhouette offhand.

Not a single malfunction! No kidding. No failures to feed. No failures to eject. 100 rounds total fired.
Glad you're back safe and sound and have some confidence in your build. 👍👍

·
Super Moderator
30,165 Posts
Reactions: racer88

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
The one thing you read a lot and see vids on about builds is the mixing of various after market parts being a problem. The tolerances with each manufacture vary enough to make a barrel and a slide not match with the trigger and the housing .and so on. Trigger tolerance is mostly the problem with builds...connector compatibility with after market triggers is a major complaint also. Mine is mostly P80 parts (not GLOCK OEM) ....with a few after market parts interweaved. Barrel is stock P80, slide and upper parts. The frame is mostly stock with a few non stock like I have said before. Here is a suggestion, put your build parts in the Glock 19 and see how it preforms.

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
The one thing you read a lot and see vids on about builds is the mixing of various after market parts being a problem. The tolerances with each manufacture vary enough to make a barrel and a slide not match with the trigger and the housing .and so on. Trigger tolerance is mostly the problem with builds...connector compatibility with after market triggers is a major complaint also. Mine is mostly P80 parts (not GLOCK OEM) ....with a few after market parts interweaved. Barrel is stock P80, slide and upper parts. The frame is mostly stock with a few non stock like I have said before. Here is a suggestion, put your build parts in the Glock 19 and see how it preforms.
Yep... I learned it's called "tolerance stacking." I suppose we could call it a "tolerance domino effect," too.

Someone else suggested putting the build parts in the G19 as another experiment. Might just do that, too.

Reactions: mike_1950
101 - 120 of 134 Posts