Florida Concealed Carry banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Could it be that a lot of people don't understand the Hughes Amendment to mean fully auto? :dunno

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Could it be that a lot of people don't understand the Hughes Amendment to mean fully auto? :dunno
I suggest that very few people outside the NFA hobby community even know there is a Hughes Amendment.

I say again, only in Washington DC can an act entitle The Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986, ban an entire class of firearms.

If you have never seen the midnight video you can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Mx2UcSEvQ

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
I suggest that very few people outside the NFA hobby community even know there is a Hughes Amendment.

I say again, only in Washington DC can an act entitle The Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986, ban an entire class of firearms.

If you have never seen the midnight video you can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Mx2UcSEvQ
Thanks for that TIITL. Had never seen it before. I remember reading that after the FOPA passed with the Hughes Amendment attached, Reagan asked the NRA if he should sign it or not. The NRA had fought long and hard to get the key provisions of the FOPA passed and didn't want to lose all those gains over machine guns so they told Reagan to sign it and said they'd work to repeal the MG manufacturing ban the next go around. Needless to say that never happened. It makes me angry to actually see how this molestation of a fundamental Constitutional right came to be. Unfortunately the optics of repealing the ban are such that I think the only way it will ever die is if SCOTUS kills it as unconstitutional.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
I don't see the MG thing ever happening. I'd like to see the suppressor stamp go away though and I think that is achievable

·
Super Moderator
27,065 Posts
I don't see the MG thing ever happening. I'd like to see the suppressor stamp go away though and I think that is achievable
I see it the same way!

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Barring a societal "reset" where there's no busybodies to rat out folks with unregistered MGs, I have a feeling select-fire weapons will be NFA/SOT items for good.

We have a good chance with suppressors right now to get them off the NFA. After that, SBRs and SBSs shouldn't be an issue.

With regards to full-auto though, I have to say I'm really impressed with the binary triggers coming out these days. 90 percent of the way there without the pesky stamps and registration.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts