Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Glock 19 with a TRL-1 and handheld Surefire light in my night table. In my home office I have a S&W 1911 E full size gun and three handheld lights. My living has a Deluxe Gunvault with a Ruger Alaskan loaded with 6 200 gr. CCI Gold Dots with a speed loader of same next to it plus a Sig P290RS with the extended 8 round mag and one in the chamber with two 6 round spare mags. It is the only gun that has tritium sights. I also have an AR15 in the bedroom and three other guns in the office. Every location where there is a gun there is also one Streamlight/Surefire light and a knife or more.

I spend most of each day in my office since I work there and it is my man cave. I am in there from 10am to 3am with a few breaks for dinner and about 2 hours of TV each day. I go to bed between 3-4am. The newspaper person is riding around our area delivering the paper at that time. The sanitation guys are also driving around. People are getting up about 5-6 to get their daily walks, runs, rides in before the sun becomes a problem. Many activities here start at 7am so people tend to get to bed early and rise early as well.

I am thinking that the prime risk time is during the time I am in my office and perhaps the 15+1 Glock w/TRL-1 might be better in my office and the 1911 best for my night table. If asked I find the Glock 19 easier to deal with. Just balances well with the light to offset a full mag and no safeties to deal with and lots of rounds in it. However I also shoot the 1911 very well and trust the .45 caliber to get the job done because I have seen it do so and not just read about it. However it is heavier, no rail to mount a light and about half the capacity of the Glock. I do not think any home defense is going to involve a lot of shooting though but the extra rounds are comforting.

I have been vacillating between switching gun locations but cannot make up my mind. Figured that I would ask what would Brownie do? :) Mere mortals may also voice their opinion though. :)

·
Banned
11,161 Posts
You have at least 5 different pistols with 5 different operating systems. And at any given time at least two of your weapons are unsecured in another room. Why not just pick one and carry it, and a flashlight and possible spare ammo, on your person as you go through your day? That would seem to be easier and more secure that your current set up. Just a thought.

·
Registered
20,839 Posts
the prime risk time is whenever an attack occurs...regardless of when we think or when statistics state they happen they happen at all hours in every location at some sort of frequency...

i have a hard time undertsanding how anyone can have a higher confidence level in one particular gun and have a hard time choosing which gun they would most like to have handy in the event something does happen...in addition, macs comments are about as accurate as anyone can get with the number of different operating systems and unsecured guns in other rooms (that, incidentally, may be the entrance point for a home invasion)...

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
My primary home defense pistols are very high capacity large frames and carried OWB. Reason, you are defending home and family, this to me is final stand situation where maximum effort is warranted. Your equipment has to equal your effort and not sell you short.

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
All of my home defense guns are similar operating systems. Point and click interfaces (Glocks and FNs). Whichever one I have to grab, I don't have to think about anything other than acquire/fire.

To answer your original question, I'd make the Glock the primary.

Reactions: spyguy

·
Banned
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have at least 5 different pistols with 5 different operating systems. And at any given time at least two of your weapons are unsecured in another room. Why not just pick one and carry it, and a flashlight and possible spare ammo, on your person as you go through your day? That would seem to be easier and more secure that your current set up. Just a thought.
The only unsecured gun and rifle are in my bedroom which is at the far end of the house. All others are in safes nearby. Sorry if I was not clear on that. No way for anyone to get to them without first passing me and my dogs. Plus I doubt that if someone broke into an occupied house the first thing they would do is search for guns. :)

I choose not to carry a gun on me at home because it is uncomfortable and have lots of other more likely dangers in my life more deserving of my discomfort than a home invasion. :) Perhaps if we had a poll and a lot of people said that they are only alive because they carried a gun at home it would change my mind but until then I think what I now have is more than enough. :) I am not in the camp of those who say if something can happen, no matter the risk, we should prepare for it because you will find that it only seems to apply when guns are concerned. Bet no one carries a fire extinguisher on them despite the much greater odds of having a home fire. :) However my personal feelings do not mean that I think anyone who carries a gun at home is wrong. I prepare for things that others do not and some think me silly for it but we all have our own concerns to address in a way that makes us comfortable. Home invasions is not enough of a concern to me to go to the next level of carrying at home.

·
Banned
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
All of my home defense guns are similar operating systems. Point and click interfaces (Glocks and FNs). Whichever one I have to grab, I don't have to think about anything other than acquire/fire.

To answer your original question, I'd make the Glock the primary.
I lean towards the Glock too. As for the different platforms I switched among an M16, .45, M60, M79 and M16 with the M203 attached frequently and when it hit the fan I had no trouble in knowing which weapon I had and how to use it. I also competed with different operating systems, often in the same weekend with no trouble. Heck, at work I deal with different Computer operating systems all the time and have yet to get confused. I understand what you are saying but do not feel that if I grab a revolver instead of a Glock or Kahr instead of a revolver, it will be a problem. They are all point and shoot guns. Only the 1911 has a manual safety and I have been shooting them a long time and if I forget to take it off safe as I have done once or twice in combat and competition, it is quickly rectified. I do not spend much time worrying about extremely low probability situations where a second or two means life or death. If that is the case I am dead with or without a safety being moved. :)

·
Banned
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My primary home defense pistols are very high capacity large frames and carried OWB. Reason, you are defending home and family, this to me is final stand situation where maximum effort is warranted. Your equipment has to equal your effort and not sell you short.
I agree but do you have a sprinkler system in your home as a house fire is more likely and kills more people than home invasions do. :) The problem I have is that maximum effort only seems to be involved when it comes to guns for some strange reason.

• Sad
Reactions: spyguy

·
Banned
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
With all those guns around, one might ask what are you afraid of? I would guess the answer just may be not a dang thing!
There are things that I am afraid of but get on with my life as normal as possible. Courage is going on despite your fear rather than giving in to it. When I start carrying a gun to my bathroom, fear has won. Others may consider carrying a gun at all times when awake normal. I happen not to. No one is right or wrong.

What is interesting is that when I was in Nam we would not carry our weapons some of the time despiite being in more danger than any civilian is. You get to know what real danger is versus fear of it, something not everyone learns. I spent years battling problems from my combat experiences and still have to drug myself to sleep. Excuse me if I am not so eager to play soldier 24/7 anymore or feel unsafe in my retirement village because I have seen just how dangerous it can get and this is not even close.

·
Registered
8,817 Posts
I agree but do you have a sprinkler system in your home as a house fire is more likely and kills more people than home invasions do. :) The problem I have is that maximum effort only seems to be involved when it comes to guns for some strange reason.
Actually I'm with 45 here. When I get home change into my slacker shorts. My sidearm goes from the IWB of the "nice shorts" to my OWB around the house shorts. It gets carried everywhere and is comfortable for me sitting, standing, riding the mower, weed eating, working on the truck, grilling, etc........

Also yes I do have fire extinguishers around the house. Especially in the garage/man cave. Between ammo, gas, propane, electronics. and me smoking yes never know. :grin

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
I have a Glock 19 with a TRL-1 and handheld Surefire light in my night table. In my home office I have a S&W 1911 E full size gun and three handheld lights. My living has a Deluxe Gunvault with a Ruger Alaskan loaded with 6 200 gr. CCI Gold Dots with a speed loader of same next to it plus a Sig P290RS with the extended 8 round mag and one in the chamber with two 6 round spare mags. It is the only gun that has tritium sights. I also have an AR15 in the bedroom and three other guns in the office. Every location where there is a gun there is also one Streamlight/Surefire light and a knife or more.

I spend most of each day in my office since I work there and it is my man cave. I am in there from 10am to 3am with a few breaks for dinner and about 2 hours of TV each day. I go to bed between 3-4am. The newspaper person is riding around our area delivering the paper at that time. The sanitation guys are also driving around. People are getting up about 5-6 to get their daily walks, runs, rides in before the sun becomes a problem. Many activities here start at 7am so people tend to get to bed early and rise early as well.

I am thinking that the prime risk time is during the time I am in my office and perhaps the 15+1 Glock w/TRL-1 might be better in my office and the 1911 best for my night table. If asked I find the Glock 19 easier to deal with. Just balances well with the light to offset a full mag and no safeties to deal with and lots of rounds in it. However I also shoot the 1911 very well and trust the .45 caliber to get the job done because I have seen it do so and not just read about it. However it is heavier, no rail to mount a light and about half the capacity of the Glock. I do not think any home defense is going to involve a lot of shooting though but the extra rounds are comforting.

I have been vacillating between switching gun locations but cannot make up my mind. Figured that I would ask what would Brownie do? :) Mere mortals may also voice their opinion though. :)
Choose the gun he's most comfortable with that particular day most likely. I change weapons platforms often enough, and like you have no trouble remembering what gun I've got in my hands and how it operates. One day that may change when I'm an old dog like you though :grin

·
Banned
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Choose the gun he's most comfortable with that particular day most likely. I change weapons platforms often enough, and like you have no trouble remembering what gun I've got in my hands and how it operates. One day that may change when I'm an old dog like you though :grin
A voice of reason. I was going to tell everyone not to take me too seriously as I just want to provoke thought. Obviously I carry because I see a need. However when someone who does not wear a helmet when riding their bike or Does not have a fire extinguisher starts talking about being extremely concerned with personal protection so much as to warrant showering with a gun, I have to wonderi what the real reason is. :)

Hi, my name is Old Dog and I like guns. I like the way they empower me as much as their ability to protect me. I use them to feel safe against real and imagined threats. The only difference between me and some others is that I know it. :).

·
Banned
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually I'm with 45 here. When I get home change into my slacker shorts. My sidearm goes from the IWB of the "nice shorts" to my OWB around the house shorts. It gets carried everywhere and is comfortable for me sitting, standing, riding the mower, weed eating, working on the truck, grilling, etc........

Also yes I do have fire extinguishers around the house. Especially in the garage/man cave. Between ammo, gas, propane, electronics. and me smoking yes never know. :grin
Bravo. I have personally seen three houses explode due to propane tanks and was stuck in a burning building twice. My flashlight saved me the last time. A gun would have been useless. :)

·
Registered
2,372 Posts

Naturally there's only one rational course of action to put this dilemma to bed.

Just buy another Glock and another 1911. Then you could have both in both locations, and grab whichever one tickles your fancy in the time of need.

Problem solved! :grin

·
Banned
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Naturally there's only one rational course of action to put this dilemma to bed.

Just buy another Glock and another 1911. Then you could have both in both locations, and grab whichever one tickles your fancy in the time of need.

Problem solved! :grin
Ya know, I thought of that. Was thinking of getting a Glock 17 since I started wearing the 19 regularly and I do want a Colt Defender again as I really miss that gun. It was not only a good size to carry but fell great in my hand and those Hogue grips were cushiony against my side.

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
I have multiple fire extinguishers in home and truck, non-battery dependent smoke/fire detectors, fire fighting training, medical training, fresh air circ. system, flash lights in every room, 2 billion C.P. Search and rescue light, Primary and secondary circuit panels. I believe these may hedge my odds along with common sense ability to identify hazards and risks. No smoking in house!

·
Registered
207 Posts
The problem I see is your giving the intruder a chance to arm himself with all those weapons around! I would install an alarm system and set it day or night if you do not feel safe! At least you would have a warning if someone is prying a window on the other side of the house!

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Our alarm system is monitored, on panic setting, Police are dispatched, only when we are not home.

But a remote is clipped to my bedside light, press, alarm is loud!
And Orange County respond. Used it once, in error, in 7 years, response was fast, all guns in safe, except a Glock 19, I carry, and shoot in IDPA competition, it is always with me.

It has never malfunctioned ever, I know where it shoots, zero to 25m, so that covers my self defense ready to go pistol.

One thing I have thought about, electronic ear muffs! Protect your hearing, and enhance your hearing ability, as well? Silly thought?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts

First I'd leave the Glock where it is here's why:

1st you said the bedroom is in the back so you have no where else to go so I would think you want the most rounds available also if your asleep and someone gets in your likely to already be behind the curve since you were sleeping. I would think this would not be the time to worry about a manual safety. what I mean is out of all the possible situations just waking up would be the most likely situation to not be fully mentally ready so the highest probability of missing the safety.

2nd the 1911 is the only weapon with a manual safety so being in your office where you would be wide awake seems like a good place but maybe keep an extra mag or 2 handy.

3rd if your looking for some encouragement to purchase another firearm then I say get another Glock 19 to go in the office and be very happy.

Good luck and stay safe

1 - 20 of 32 Posts