Florida Concealed Carry banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
It's probably just that everybody that bought a rifle bought ammo to go with it. The cost to start reloading a new caliber is high to begin with but it pays off over the long run. Since you like the Tec side you might think about starting reloading, when Obummer caused the last shortage it really didn't effect me except 22's. I like reloading but I have extra time. The new CFE and IMR non copper fouling powders are not available in factory loads everything I reload now is using those powders.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It's probably just that everybody that bought a rifle bought ammo to go with it. The cost to start reloading a new caliber is high to begin with but it pays off over the long run. Since you like the Tec side you might think about starting reloading, when Obummer caused the last shortage it really didn't effect me except 22's. I like reloading but I have extra time. The new CFE and IMR non copper fouling powders are not available in factory loads everything I reload now is using those powders.
Obummer didn't cause the shortage. Sandy Hook (and the subsequent calls for bans by the legislators) did. It led to a run (a buying frenzy) on guns and ammo. It affected reloading components as well. I remember hearing the reloaders complain they couldn't get powder. For a LONG time.

The chance of me reloading now, or any time soon, is ZERO. Mostly, because I don't have room (a place) to set up a bench. I don't have a "man cave." Out in the open, in the living room, isn't an option. :) Maybe when the kids move out, I can take over one of the rooms. That's years away.

But, if there's a shortage of cartridges (for whatever reason), there's a shortage of components, too. So....

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
There is no shortage of components at the moment.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
There is no shortage of components at the moment.
I was referring to the big shortage after 2012 (Sandy Hook). There was a shortage of everything. I distinctly remember hearing the reloaders bemoaning the lack of powder on the shelves. Primers, too.

If there's a true and protracted shortage of ammo, components won't be far behind. Maybe this is just a glitch in the production system. I hope!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
if they are THAT accurate why would you need to fire more then one or two per trip to the range?
:rolf

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
if they are THAT accurate why would you need to fire more then one or two per trip to the range?
:rolf
I enjoy seeing the warp in the space-time continuum every time I fire one. ;)

It's like sending a tiny Chuck Norris downrange at supersonic speeds.

·
Super Moderator
27,083 Posts
^^^^
:rofl

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Found some Hornady ELD-M 140 at TargetSportsUSA. Ordered some. They also had Federal Gold Medal Match Berger 130-gr.

Still no Berger Hybrid 140, though.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
A member over at Snipers Hide just posted:

I emailed Berger and got this reply.

“Stephen,
We are experiencing a production delay . Waiting for cartridge cases from LAPUA. Our apologies for this. We have no date yet on when production will begin again. Hopefully soon.
Got some Hornady ELD-M in the mean time. I got the ammo I owe ya, BeerHunter! :grin

·
Super Moderator
27,083 Posts
A member over at Snipers Hide just posted:

Got some Hornady ELD-M in the mean time. I got the ammo I owe ya, BeerHunter! :grin
No worries, brother! What's a box of two of ammo amongst friends? I was having fun, too watching Lia out-shoot all of us!!!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts