Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. I got a deal on bulk .40 S&W ammo and purchased it before I realized that the ranges near me do not allow Steel Cased ammunition.

So... am I just plain out $150, or is there someplace around here where I can shoot targets with this (dirty) stuff?

The places I know to go around here that don't allow it:
  • Okeechobee Shooting Sports
  • Gator Guns & Archery Center (no ammo of your own anyway)
  • Palm Beach Shooting Center
  • Delray Shooting Center
  • Arizona Shooting Range
Is there anyplace else? I'm willing to go rather far afield (1.5 hours) if it means I didn't waste this money. So -- Martin County, whatever county Ft. Lauderdale is in, Indian River County (?)

I have heard of Markham Park, but their website didn't mention ammunition controls. My NRA instructor mentioned a range in Sebastian. Does anyone know what their rules are?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
you may have to find an outdoor range. The steel cased ammo has a nasty habit of going through the bullet traps on indoor ranges instead of being deflected like it is supposed to be.

·
Registered
135 Posts
A steel case will never go through a bullet trap, it will drop onto the ground by the shooting line. Steel-cored or steel-jacketed ammo can sometimes get through bullet traps.

The outdoor range in Indian River County (exit 156 @ I-95) doesn't care if the casing, core or jacket is steel. Just don't hit their plates on the 200 yd line.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey there. I got a deal on bulk .40 S&W ammo and purchased it before I realized that the ranges near me do not allow Steel Cased ammunition.

So... am I just plain out $150, or is there someplace around here where I can shoot targets with this (dirty) stuff?

The places I know to go around here that don't allow it:
  • Okeechobee Shooting Sports
  • Gator Guns & Archery Center (no ammo of your own anyway)
  • Palm Beach Shooting Center
  • Delray Shooting Center
  • Arizona Shooting Range
Is there anyplace else? I'm willing to go rather far afield (1.5 hours) if it means I didn't waste this money. So -- Martin County, whatever county Ft. Lauderdale is in, Indian River County (?)

I have heard of Markham Park, but their website didn't mention ammunition controls. My NRA instructor mentioned a range in Sebastian. Does anyone know what their rules are?
Broward County is Ft. Lauderdale...
Markham doesn't have any ammo rules that I'm aware of.

I didn't think Arizona checked handgun ammo... I only had issue w/ .223 and needing Frangable...

Revere in Pompano stated a magnetic test.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I will doublecheck with okeechobee shooting sports. My dear bf told me that they had a big sign saying no steel cased ammo. Maybe he misread a rule against steel-core or steel-jacketed ammo.

I will also call Arizona range and ask them what their rules are. I thought I remembered reading a sign taped to their glass case about brands of ammunition disallowed. That may be a mis-memory from another range.

·
Registered
135 Posts
They may indeed ban steel-cased ammo because the range more than likely sells the used brass for additional profit. It's apparently too much work to run a magnet over the brass pile before sweeping it up. :rolleyes: Therefore, steel-cased ammo is banned. Never mind the fact that boxer primed steel-cased ammo can be reloaded several times.

OT
I stopped going to indoor ranges when I was told that any brass that hit the ground was theirs, NO exceptions, or that I had to buy the overpriced ammo from them. While not all indoor ranges are that way, the current outdoor range I currently shoot at is far superior IMHO in many respects.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Markham is not too bad of a ride and they allow anything ammo wise, IIRC. I shot a rack of reloads plus all sorts of Wolf and Tula steel case, and the RSO just watched and smiled.

I think I'm going to be going there next weekend, send me a PM if you want in.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Markham park is fine
Arizona is fine
Any other...
If your using your ammo, Don't tell them. Say blazer or federal if asked or something. I mean really it's dumb. Lack of knowledge.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did call and confirm with Arizona Shooting Range that they do not have brand restrictions. They only asked if I'd be shooting .223. When I said .40 S&W they did not have any further questions or concerns, and didn't even care to know what brand was causing my questions.

I shot 200 of my 500 rounds of Wolf today. Boy was I tired out by the time I was done! The really nice thing was, I had free range time from them from a prior attempt to shoot at their range, so all my shooting today was free!

I'm thinking about heading down to Markham Park tomorrow just for kicks. I'm not sure, though, because I need to let my left hand decide for me if shooting is on order so soon after today's marathon.

Oh -- I also found out that I'm quite happy with my new NY1 trigger/3.5# connector combination job. I had put in the NY1 trigger without knowing to replace the connector as well, and it had quite adversely affected my accuracy. Now, all seems well in that area.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am aware this is necro from 10 years ago, but with these prices currently I picked up 1000rds of lead core / bi metal coating of wolf .223, this still good to shoot over at Markham?

·
Super Moderator
26,307 Posts
I am aware this is necro from 10 years ago, but with these prices currently I picked up 1000rds of lead core / bi metal coating of wolf .223, this still good to shoot over at Markham?
Welcome to FCC from Palm Beach County, Spool!

Perhaps someone will come along that shoots at Markham Park. Most of us avoid pistol and rifle shooting there.

In the mean time, since you've now made you first post to FCC in a decade old thread without first making an introduction, please now take the time to post you're own Introduction to FCC letting forum members get to know you a little, particularly with regard to our inherent right to keep and bear arms. You can do that by going to the Introduce Yourself section of The Front Office and start your very own introduction thread. Then you'll find that lots of other FCC members will know to chime in to properly welcome you to the forum, and will be more responsive in answering questions! Also, if you're a veteran, take a look at our Military Service Thread where you'll find many of us there, too!

In case you weren't aware, you can stay current on pertinent Florida Statutes regarding use of force and firearms law by going right to the source using these links for Chapter 776 - Justifiable Use of Force and Chapter 790 - Weapons and Firearms. I'd also like to suggest you obtain your own copy of FLORIDA FIREARMS Law, Use & Ownership by Jon Gutmacher!

Finally, I would like to recommend you consider joining Florida Carry and join the effort to protect the rights of Floridians to keep and bear arms!

Again, welcome to FCC! :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts