Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hypothetical, after a self defense situation in the home. What is the consensus on what to do with the gun before the cops arrive? Leave out, out unloaded and cleared, lock back up in what ever lock box you use? Do the cops take the gun as evidence? Are you required to turn it over?

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
I would unload it and leave it in plain sight on table, because LE will take it. If no charges are filed you will get it back in about a year or less so have a back up is a good idea, think Zimmerman case.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
I wouldn’t be unloading my weapon and putting it down until I saw the cops arrive, then right before they got close enough to see me I’d lay it on the floor as is and step back with my hands in the air and clearly identify myself as the homeowner in a loud and obvious voice so there are no misunderstandings. It ain’t over until its over. I wouldn’t want my gun empty on the floor somewhere until the cops were there to control the scene, until then it stays in hand and loaded in the event there are more unforeseen threats.

YMMV.

·
Super Moderator
27,065 Posts
Thread moved to a more appropriate section of The Range. While it may not be obvious to some, The Front Office "Public Help Forum and Common Questions" section is for seeking help using the forum itself, not questions about carrying, self-defense scenarios, etc.

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
Trained on the threat or holstered, ready to rock.

-on Tapatalk

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Lot's of what ifs.

Is the threat still moving? Is the threat still in your house? Is the threat armed? I could go on and on!

If cops are on the way, someone should be relaying the message that the homeowner or who ever is/was armed etc... etc...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would not unload the gun as it may be considered tampering with evidence. And I would either reholster (if wearing a holster) or set the gun down safely out of reach of BGs and/or witnesses only upon arrival of LE.
good point!

·
Registered
13,425 Posts
Stay on the phone with 911, make crystal clear how you are dressed, and that is your home. The 911 operator should tell you when the police are outside your door and to put your gun down. I would not put the gun down until I was sure the criminal was no longer a threat until the police got there. Once they are on the scene you don't want the gun in your hand.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Stay on the phone with 911, make crystal clear how you are dressed, and that is your home. The 911 operator should tell you when the police are outside your door and to put your gun down. I would not put the gun down until I was sure the criminal was no longer a threat until the police got there. Once they are on the scene you don't want the gun in your hand.
Perfect advice.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I would do it slightly different. If I shot someone inside my home and they go down, the very first thing on my mind is to get my family OUTSIDE the house where I know there will be no possible threat from the fallen intruder. Obviously that means a check outside first. 911 would absolutely know that I and my family are outside in the car port, my gun is down on the hood of car outside of my immediate reach, how I'm dressed and where I'm standing. I wouldn't unload it, I'd leave it exactly the way it was the moment shooting ceased, including not operating a manual safety if so equipped.

I would do it that way to preclude any kind of BS about checking for signs of life, did I offer first aid to the victim, etc. I think it's far more defensible to say my only concern was for my family and I, and we got as away from the threat as practicable. Once down, the perpetrator is on his own and I'm not dinking around with someone I just finished using deadly force on. I'm getting myself and family clear of them chop-chop and let the cops go in and deal with him. It also eliminates a situation where, if the person had any fight left in them, my family is standing around and the cops have to start blasting away.

·
Registered
20,354 Posts
I would do it slightly different. If I shot someone inside my home and they go down, the very first thing on my mind is to get my family OUTSIDE the house where I know there will be no possible threat from the fallen intruder. Obviously that means a check outside first. 911 would absolutely know that I and my family are outside in the car port, my gun is down on the hood of car outside of my immediate reach, how I'm dressed and where I'm standing. I wouldn't unload it, I'd leave it exactly the way it was the moment shooting ceased, including not operating a manual safety if so equipped.

I would do it that way to preclude any kind of BS about checking for signs of life, did I offer first aid to the victim, etc. I think it's far more defensible to say my only concern was for my family and I, and we got as away from the threat as practicable. Once down, the perpetrator is on his own and I'm not dinking around with someone I just finished using deadly force on. I'm getting myself and family clear of them chop-chop and let the cops go in and deal with him. It also eliminates a situation where, if the person had any fight left in them, my family is standing around and the cops have to start blasting away.
not at all...the safest place at this time is inside my home with me covering the bad guy and making sure my family is in a safe room...outside we are all exposed to possible accomplices, revenge seekers, etc. entering my home will require a move through a fatal funnel...outside we can be approached from many angles...bobs advice to stay on the phone with 911 giving them pertinent information and listening to what they have to say is the safest solution...

·
Registered
73 Posts
There was a situation where the good guy was holding the bad guy for the police. The bad guy tried to rob or carjack him. The good guy was on the phone with 911 and described himself. When he saw the police get out of their cars he placed his gun immediately on the ground and raised his hands. It all went well from there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts