Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i hear many folks saying that when the officer arrives you first need to not have the firearm drawn as you will look like the BG to the officer and witnesses that didnt see it actually happem, then they say you should point out the evidence, then let the officer know you will cooperate on 24 hours after you speak to council????? WHO THE HECK IS COUNCIL????? i seen this on a video on another forum. What are the correct things to do if ever you are involved in a self defense shooting?

·
Registered
11,195 Posts
Check for witnesses, then run! :laughing

I kid, I kid. :grin

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Patrick Buckley is our resident gun attorney. He wrote a great article on this very subject. Patrick is a sponsor here as well. PM him and ask for a copy of the article. Definitely good stuff. He also has an emergency number for the subject as well, forced to fire on another human being and NOW you need a gun attorney. I have it in my phone.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Legal counsel would be the attorney you retain to defend you.

You should try to holster your weapon before police arrives; however, I might not do it if I am not certain the area is secured and perceived safe. Keep in mind that if there is a weapon in your hand when police arrive you may be taken down by force and handcuffed. Come to terms with the possibility of it happening so you don’t respond by resisting physically.

The information I plan on providing if I’m ever unfortunate enough to find myself in that situation:

1. That I was attacked and defended myself.
2. Identify any witnesses before they disperse, never to be found again.
3. Identify the area where the conflict started, any accomplices and possible weapons. The goal is for the police to collect all available evidence at the site.
4. Tell the police I want to sign a complaint against the attacker.

After that, politely let the officer(s) know you are shaken up and would gladly provide additional information and answer questions after you’ve had an opportunity to talk with your lawyer.

If you’re injured make sure you see a doctor and have all injuries fully documented (including pictures).

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Patrick Buckley is our resident gun attorney. He wrote a great article on this very subject. Patrick is a sponsor here as well. PM him and ask for a copy of the article. Definitely good stuff. He also has an emergency number for the subject as well, forced to fire on another human being and NOW you need a gun attorney. I have it in my phone.
:rofl Buckley may bill you for that one directly, Franklin. :grin

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Youtube The Best Defense. Good episode about what to do and not to do after a incident.
But as Misty said, secure the area of threats, holster, gather witness, call 911 ask for an office and ambulance, say you were attacked and feared for your life, you want to press charges against your attacker, give good descriptions of persons to 911 then call your attorney of choice then or after you tell the responding LEO, I need to call my attorney. As always, COMPLY with the officer, he dont know you from Adam and will not take any chances.

Oh and have your CCW badge handy,
:smack
My bad, we dont need no stinking badges!!

But back to seriousness, Mr Buckley has had a few prior threads about the subject and even offered a handy postcard size handout that details all the points needed.

:2thumsup

·
Registered
132 Posts

·
Registered
4,719 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've spoken to an LEO regarding this and other scenarios involving a self defense shooting. Bottom line is if your a law abiding citizen you should have nothing to worry about, however the LEO made clear that the key phrases they look for in Florida are... "I feared for my life or the life of my family".

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
I've spoken to an LEO regarding this and other scenarios involving a self defense shooting. Bottom line is if your a law abiding citizen you should have nothing to worry about, however the LEO made clear that the key phrases they look for in Florida are... "I feared for my life or the life of my family".
While that may be true in many situations, it might also be wise to prepare for the worst and pray for the best. If you expect that a SD situation you are unfortunately enough to be faced with will be text book perfect (with few or no complications to follow), you may not properly prepare yourself for a less than favorable aftermath.

It is just as important to prepare yourself mentally and emotionally for some of what could follow. Preparing yourself financially might be more difficult if you lack the financial means (I know I do).

Even if everything is indeed text book perfect, there will still be plenty to deal with.

·
Registered
55,436 Posts
While that may be true in many situations, it might also be wise to prepare for the worst and pray for the best. If you expect that a SD situation you are unfortunately enough to be faced with will be text book perfect (with few or no complications to follow), you may not properly prepare yourself for a less than favorable aftermath.

It is just as important to prepare yourself mentally and emotionally for some of what could follow. Preparing yourself financially might be more difficult if you lack the financial means (I know I do).

Even if everything is indeed text book perfect, there will still be plenty to deal with.
It'll likely be more of an adlib sort of event for most, just as you mentioned, best laid plans and all that Misty :thumsup

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
You better not have a gun in your hand when the cops show up.
Ok, gungsmith, other than not having the firearm in your hand when the officers show up (which I won’t put away unless I’m certain I’m no longer in danger), what else do you recommend?

Is it likely that when you called 911 you described yourself, what you were wearing and that you were armed? Is it likely that you might still be on the phone with the 911 operator letting them know you’ll put your weapon away once you see an officer present and offering you cover?

So what do you do when adrenaline pumped officers respond to a shooting call and arrive at the scene? What if they ask you to drop to the floor, face down, and place your hands behind your head so they can cuff you? What if after you’re cuffed you are thrown in the back of their unit and taken to the station to be further interrogated? What are you going to do? Are you going to be shocked by all that and possibly react negatively? (Yes, they will likely take control of your weapon and you have to let it happen) You already said in another thread you would say absolutely nothing, so you are likely not asking to be taken to the hospital by the ambulance that would be responding to the scene so you can get checked out.

What will you be telling the 911 operator when you call?
How are you reacting when the officers arrive at the scene?

You must have thought beyond “don’t have a gun in your hand”.

What if you receive conflicting instructions from the responding officers? One is screaming for you to put your hands behind your head and turn around, the other is screaming to get on your knees. What do you do?

You wish to talk about LEOs responding to a SD scene, fine, lets elaborate that one further. Which are your thoughts on the subject? :)

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
It'll likely be more of an adlib sort of event for most, just as you mentioned, best laid plans and all that Misty :thumsup
The way I see it is that things already went terribly wrong if I found myself in that situation. There is no reason for me to believe that Murphy left my side right after. I might get lucky, but I can’t count on it. My reaction, attitude and control over my big mouth will now have a huge impact on how the rest of the ordeal will play out.

I must also remain aware that even if I do everything right, if it gets to the point where I’m faced with 12 of my peers that would ultimately decide my fate, things may still go terribly wrong.

Even if everything went well, I would still have legal expenses and living with the knowledge that I was personally responsible for taking a life.

All of this and more are among the reasons for me to not even consider drawing unless my life or that of a loved one was at risk. If their lives are at risk, I will accept the consequences that follow.

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
You must have thought beyond “don’t have a gun in your hand”.

What if you receive conflicting instructions from the responding officers? One is screaming for you to put your hands behind your head and turn around, the other is screaming to get on your knees. What do you do?

You wish to talk about LEOs responding to a SD scene, fine, lets elaborate that one further. Which are your thoughts on the subject?

You put the gun down, or holster, and keep your hands up. Then you say ---

* I am the victim

* He is the offender

* I want to file a complaint

* There are the witnesses

* I will answer all questions after I talk to a lawyer

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
You put the gun down, or holster, and keep your hands up. Then you say ---

* I am the victim

* He is the offender

* I want to file a complaint

* There are the witnesses

* I will answer all questions after I talk to a lawyer
and what did you tell the 911 operator?

ETA: Don't forget to point at "him" with your chin and not move your hand to do so. :)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
1. Calm down, take a deep breath, collect yourself for a second.
2. Assess the condition of the bad guy. If no-longer an obvious threat, restrain, search, and re-holster; then render first aid.
3. Call Attorneys (Friday, Buckley, and Fast). Hope that one of them pick up. * You have someone on speed dial right? *
4. Conference call 911 with your lawyer on the line.
5. Tell the truth about why you fired. * Defense of life and Limb, stopping a forcible felony *
6. If questioned further, invoke the 5th Amendment (I invoke my right to remain silent, I demand that my lawyer be present for all questioning.) and then shut up, wait for legal counsel.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
1. Calm down, take a deep breath, collect yourself for a second.
2. Assess the condition of the bad guy. If no-longer an obvious threat, restrain, search, and re-holster; then render first aid.
3. Call Attorneys (Friday, Buckley, and Fast). Hope that one of them pick up. * You have someone on speed dial right? *
4. Conference call 911 with lawyer on the line.
5. Tell the truth about why you fired. * Defense of life and Limb, stopping a forcible felony *
6. If questioned further, invoke the 5th Amendment (I invoke my right to remain silent, I demand that my lawyer be present for all questioning.) and then shut up, wait for legal counsel.
You are likely to have skills and experience that far surpasses mine, StogieC. I would have to skip the restrain part. I’m also not providing first aid for multiple reasons, among them not being qualified to do so and not being willing to get close enough to determine if the BG is definitely no longer a threat.

I hadn’t thought of conferencing Buckley in the 911 call. I’ve never even done a conference call on my phone, nor know if it has that function. I’ll have to look into it further.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts