Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.. I'm in South Florida, im looking to start carrying. I owned a S&W Sigma .40 that I really enjoyed for what it was.. I would carry it in my belt when on my property but it wasn't very concealed.. the fit was PERFECT for me though. Most comfortable thing I've shot..

Any suggestions? I'm not a fan of glock, not because they work great, are very reliable, its just too many people use em.. Seems like the Honda Accord of the pistol world to me.. No offense I hope.. Also I like .40 so the recoil is silly compared to other pistols IMHO.. I'm new to this all so feel free to school me..

For what it's worth, I'm planning on a Glock as of now :\ sigh.. I'm going to the class in a week or two, and sending out for the license.. I hope to have my purchase in the works though so I can pick up and carry..

Thanks for any advice guys, great forum!

I want to look at the p220, p229, and a few others I have in a list ive been composing.. I want reliable protection.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Welcome to the forum frank305 :drinks. We are glad that you joined us. As for a carry weapon I'm totally biased. Since your going to go with a Glock in the mean time then go with the Glock 23. It's .40 cal, compact and not too bad of a recoil. You will certainly get good feedback here as to what to carry from the other members. Welcome and good luck.

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Only you will be able to decide what you find most comfortable and want to carry.

I went through a process of acquiring several guns before i found what I liked. First was a .40 cal Sig 229 which was too big and too heavy for my taste. Then I found the Glock 19 to be more practical, although it was more gun than I needed running around in shorts most of the time. In the end, I now pocket carry a Smith & Wesson 442 .38 snub nosed revolver, and it is a pleasure.

I would agree with NK's post above and take a good look at the Glock 23. It's a great size and just works. Thats why Glocks are so popular.

If that doesn't make you happy, go to a range where you can rent a few different guns and just take your time and find what you shoot well and just feels right to you.

·
Registered
11,170 Posts
What to carry? Could you have come up with a more open-ended question? :rolf

First you have to decide what threat level you're likely to face and/or want to be prepared for. The right carry pistol for a convenience store clerk working overnights in the ghetto may not be the right choice for a soccer mom living in a gated community (though many would argue that they should both be prepared for similar threats).

Are you willing to dress in a manner that easily allows you to conceal a full-size service pistol and spare magazines? That may be difficult if you're a t-shirt and shorts kind of guy. Are you interested in devoting the time it takes to safely and effectively utilize an autoloading pistol? If so, do you want to go with a single-action or a DA/SA? If not, then a double-action revolver may the best choice.

These are just some of the kinds of things you'll need to evaluate in order to come up with what type of handgun you want to carry. Once you've settled on that, then you should be alright by sticking to the major manufacturers (e.g., Glock, Sig, Beretta, S&W, H&K, Springfield Armory, Ruger, etc.). Handle/rent/shoot as many different pistols as possible and see which one you're most comfortable with.

And don't go cheap just to save money...a good quality, properly maintained handgun will likely last a lifetime. Better to spend a little more up front and get something that is reliable and will last. You won't regret it.

Good luck with your quest. :thumsup

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
While looking at the Glocks, look at the Smith & Wesson M&P. They are made very similiarly but thw S&W has a set of interchangeable back straps that you can fit to your hand.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I started off over 20 years ago carrying a LW .45 Commander. I’d still carry it and feel just fine, but…..

Since then, I’ve carried full-size 1911s, various steel-frame Witnesses in 9mm, .38 Super and .45, Glock 17 and 19 and an XD .45. I even carried a S&W M29 for a couple of weeks just for the fun of it. All were carried in holsters on the right side.

What I’ve learned:

Any pistol with a butt longer than a 1911 or a G19 gets to be a problem. It sticks out too far in back, hits car seats and chairs, etc.

Any pistol that weighs more than a full-size 1911 weighs too much for comfort.

Kydex paddle holsters are the most comfortable and the fastest. They don’t soak up sweat and smell like a horse on a hot day after a few summer months in Florida.

Holsters that hold the gun straight are faster and more comfortable than “FBI tilt” holsters. They print more, but that doesn’t matter, because…..

Unless you’re remarkably careless, no one will notice your gun. People are too wrapped up in their own lives to give you a second glance. Or a first glance. If you’re fantastically good-looking or are being trailed by your entire cell phone “family” you’ll be noticed, otherwise, not.

It’s a very bad idea to carry your gun in a way that requires both hands to get it. You may not have both hands available.

Backup guns are a good idea and should be carried so they’re available to your weak hand.

In the entire history of gunfighting, there has never been a case where one of the shooters wished he had a smaller pistol that held fewer rounds of less powerful ammo.

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
If you really like 40 cal

Well see everyone mentioned all but Taurus, They make a PT140 pro slim and concealable compact size i hav a PT111 pro 1200 rds flawless im not putting any other manuacturer down all fine guns and it was still open for suggestion. check them out you can pick one up for about $300.00 lifetime warranty on the gun.
Heres a link you can compare lots of pics for comparison as well hope thi helps.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1874.0

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Unless you need something particularly small because of specific concealment requirements, I always suggest one of just a couple of guns. If you attend tactical handgun courses, you'll notice that the more people get into serious training, the more they gravitate towards 1911s and Glocks (with a few opting for S&W M&Ps, or Springfield XDs). These guns have advantages over most others when it comes to being able to shoot accurately and fast, such as triggers that are consistent from one shot to the next, and a low bore axis. Given the range of options among these platforms, everyone should be able to find one that fits their particular needs. Who really cares if everyone else has one? A carry gun is a survival tool, not a fashion statement. Choose one of these platforms, then get the biggest gun, in the largest caliber, that meets your needs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welcome to forum Frank. While trying to find the right firearm, a Glock is a good choice for the time being. They hold their value and are reliable.

As for a back-up, I'm thinking either a Ruger LCP or a Charter .38 Special snubby similar to the wifes.

Don't forget about some good training too.

Me, I like Glock. They have a good rep. and a wide selection of sizes and calibers. Plus, if you want you can change various components of the firearm to better suit your needs. i.e.-sights, trigger pull weight, trigger reset tension, perceived recoil and caliber(barrel swap in most cases) from what I understand.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey frank305, welcome to the pack of sheepdogs.
I own a Glock 19 that I have no complaints about but I recently picked up a Springfield XD .45 ACP. It's a little bit bigger than the 19 but if you can get away with concealing a .45 I would definitely go with that. Maybe it's a false sense of security but it just feels "safer" carrying the larger caliber.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here's my $.02....I carry a Glock 29 IWB and more often than not a S&W 642 on my ankle too. The 10mm is a wonderful round, superior ballistics to the .40 S&W (not bad mouthing it, I own a couple) and you can get great factory hot loads online for reasonable prices (DoubleTap.com). If you are considering a .40S&W or a .45ACP you might want to consider the 10mm auto

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for the welcome!

Damn so many posts to respond to, thank you guys.. I read everyones responses, I'll make a general reply and hope I get some more great feedback.

I wear shorts often, but I also wear jeans just as often. In fact I work in jeans, and as soon as I leave the gym (after work) im in a pair of cargo shorts.. Jeans I can carry in my waist/belt/or ankle.. Shorts in my pocket or waist band. I was considering two guns, a compact, and a small revolver. One or the other, or both..depending on my attire..

I felt that the sub-compact Glock models are a little too small for my fingers, sure I can use the grip extenders but I still find the barrel length to affect recoil unless it's a 9mm. I've never shot a G30 or G36. I do want to move up to .45ACP from what i'm used to, which is .40SW. I still want a concealable gun, I'm 5'11 and 230lbs. I'm not overweight, and my hands are large. I don't really wear loose clothing. I don't mind changing my dress code for my safety.

So i'm decided on a Glock as my primary CCW weapon, I can always get other guns as time passes. I know I can shoot them, they are comfortable for my hands.. And it's like the 100th time I hear "it's about safety and effectiveness not a fashion show or show n tell". So I'll go with what the experienced folk have suggested..

My father in law has a 1911, it looks just a tad bit too big, like my Sigma was. I would like to carry something like that, but I think for concealment ill need it slightly smaller..

Im going to the shop to check out some pistols, I also have to schedule my CCW training course..anymore feed back is appreciated.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Frank,

For a guy your size who likes Glocks and .45s, I’d say the Springfield XD .45 Service is about right. In fact you could probably pack the Tactical model with the 5” barrel very comfortably.

For me, at 5’9” and 150 lbs, the Glock 19 is just right. I have an XD .45 Service and love it, but the butt’s just a tad too long for comfort. It’s about the size of a Glock 17. Nothing wrong with that, either.

I find the XD trigger slightly easier to manage than the Glock, but if you’re willing to swap some parts and have the skill, you can get a really nice trigger on either one. Some polishing and a trigger stop improve both 300%+. You might be able to get a good trigger on an M&P, but all the ones I’ve handled have awful triggers out of the box.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Update..

Yesterday I went to the shop and held a few pistols. The glocks were not very comfortable. My hands are big, my fingers thick, and my grip is very tight.. The glocks were either too short at the grip, or the finger grooves were not well aligned for my bulky hands. The S&W M&P though, wow. She feels great with the 'small' grip thingie! The compact was a little too compact for my hands, and I don't like how my pinky rests.

I like a full size gun, just not sure if it's practical to carry. I wanted a large caliber, but I think I will be going with 9mm this purchase.

anymore insight is appreciated.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Good choice frank305. I like the M&P next to Glocks. Your next step is to shoot the M&P if they allow you to rent it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good choice frank305. I like the M&P next to Glocks. Your next step is to shoot the M&P if they allow you to rent it.
I'll be using it tonight during my CCW course.. Since it's just me he said he will take out the full sized 9mm and the compact.. I like how the full sized feels.. not sure if i can carry something like that the way I dress.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'll be using it tonight during my CCW course.. Since it's just me he said he will take out the full sized 9mm and the compact.. I like how the full sized feels.. not sure if i can carry something like that the way I dress.
I guess you have a decision to make..
Would you rather modify your wardrobe or carry a more compact weapon?
IMHO I would go with the largest weapon that I could successfully conceal.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Choose your firearm then, dress around it...Don't choose the firearm because of the way you dress.

On a side note, I had the good fortune (a friends) of busting off a 100 rounds or so with an M&P full size .40 cal..I was impressed. It was an excellent shooter and felt good in the hand with the medium backstrap but even better when we put the small backstrap on it.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Frank, definitely try to 40. I have a 9mm and my 40 seems to have the same or less recoil. Mind you my 9mm is an older model S&W (459). The compact is not bad. If your pinky is not fitting how you like, you can get some magazine extenders. I called S&W and asked if they had any because I could not find any around here. They ended up sending me 2 for free.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts