Florida Concealed Carry banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
The steel cases don't expand against the chamber wall like brass....it's one of the reasons steel leaves the action dirtier than brass...the brass creates a seal when it expands...
That makes a lot of sense , Also if not expanding properly , would they tend to have some blow back , from poor sealing in the chamber ? Thanks Sir ;)

·
Registered
738 Posts
All my AK's, Mosins, and SKS's I use steel case. All feed fine and work. Cheap ammo is fun ammo. AR's and pistols get brass case, although I do have some 40 cal from georgia arms that are steel case. They worked OK when new but seem a little weaker than brass case ammo.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
All my AK's, Mosins, and SKS's I use steel case. All feed fine and work. Cheap ammo is fun ammo. AR's and pistols get brass case, although I do have some 40 cal from georgia arms that are steel case. They worked OK when new but seem a little weaker than brass case ammo.
Very interesting input ! Seeing as the .40 S&W has such inherent tight reloading tolerances . When you stated ' a little weaker ' did you mean If you had reloaded them , Or when brand new ? Was this relating to FT #'s or in FPS ..?

I'm just wondering what you more or less thought it might be pointing to ?.. I like to hear all input from other members .. It's very interesting to hear anytime !

It's a possibility that the chamber is just right for the steel cases from Georgia Arms . As has been stated before , a lot of the steel cases do not expand enough for a good seal . I assumed that this was directed at handguns only .Thank you for your input Mr. Jbs (y)

·
Registered
738 Posts
Georgia arms makes reloads and sells mostly at gunshows. These were reloads made with metal cases from wherever they got them from. They were bought in bulk probably about 10 years ago. I have about 200 rounds left. Last time I shot some (about 6 months ago) they were or felt a little weak compared to when they were first bought.
They form fine to the chamber. Used in a glock, you can see the unsupported area of the chamber as a protrusion in the case. Cycled fine when new. I had noticed an occasional stovepipe using them in my beretta last time. Just left stored in an ammo can so maybe time had an effect on them or maybe they're just light loads.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
Georgia arms makes reloads and sells mostly at gunshows. These were reloads made with metal cases from wherever they got them from. They were bought in bulk probably about 10 years ago. I have about 200 rounds left. Last time I shot some (about 6 months ago) they were or felt a little weak compared to when they were first bought.
They form fine to the chamber. Used in a glock, you can see the unsupported area of the chamber as a protrusion in the case. Cycled fine when new. I had noticed an occasional stovepipe using them in my beretta last time. Just left stored in an ammo can so maybe time had an effect on them or maybe they're just light loads.
OK , now i gotcha much better now .. I know when you buy any show reloads , you more than likely never know where they came from . This is more or less my bailiwick . So you just may be right in what you've stated ..

The ammo 'can' really shouldn't have had any effect IMO . Most all powders produced today should be temperature compensated . Even that being said , they usually advise Never Store In Extreme Heat or Cold . I store my powders in year round ambient temp around 76 degrees .

Also not knowing the reloader anything is possible for FTF's / stove pipes . This considering a sound and fully functioning firearm to begin with helps.

You really have to pay very close attention to the report when shooting reloads .Light loads can also be very dangerous in certain cases , i.e. squibs .. FTF's etc;

If the given handgun has no problem whatsoever with other makers cartridges , you can usually eliminate the firearm . The next checking place is quite evident then .

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
I'm afraid the days cheap ammo are gone forever.
That's what "they" say every time. But, it's not how it works.

Just like last time... and the time before that... and the time before that....the price pendulum will swing.

Prices will absolutely go back to where they were and even below. Just like last time.

Supply and demand. It's a simple law, and it applies every time. When the demand falls off a cliff... when the current spike in demand is satiated... prices will also fall off a cliff. That's when I buy ammo. "Buy it cheap and stack it deep," as they say!

I can't predict WHEN it will happen. But, I can 100% predict that it WILL happen.

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
833 Posts
That's what "they" say every time. But, it's not how it works.

Just like last time... and the time before that... and the time before that....the price pendulum will swing.

Prices will absolutely go back to where they were and even below. Just like last time.

Supply and demand. It's a simple law, and it applies every time. When the demand falls off a cliff... when the current spike in demand is satiated... prices will also fall off a cliff. That's when I buy ammo. "Buy it cheap and stack it deep," as they say!

I can't predict WHEN it will happen. But, I can 100% predict that it WILL happen.
You are 100% right.
When Trump is reelected ammo prices will go down again.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
As most of have learned to have deep stacks so that we are not effected by the current shortage, I buy my reloading supplies when it hits bottom in bulk.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
As most of have learned to have deep stacks so that we are not effected by the current shortage, I buy my reloading supplies when it hits bottom in bulk.
Correct my friend ! Unfortunately the younger set have somewhat perpetuated the new high prices , as they haven't had the chance like we've had ..

I know that it is the preferences for all gun shops , and online ammo sellers to naturally move their inventory ..

Naturally they will be glad to match the current high demand for their profit margin ..That is what they're in business for to begin with .

I have no idea , whether or not if they are squirreling supplies away. Possibly just not getting in their normal supplies presently . The government loves to play their games :mad:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts