Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Biden Russian ammo ban kicked in yesterday. Anything not in the pipeline after yesterday is contraband in the US.

So, where do we go for cheap steel?

Off the top of my head I know Serbia, Czech Republc, Romania, etc all have current factories that can produce cheap steel-cased ammo.

Anywhere else I'm missing? Brazil? Mexico? Turkey?

More importantly, any domestic suppliers?

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Germany, Croatia, Hungary, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Belarus, Poland.

The US played with steel case ammo during WWII.

Hornady makes steel case ammo today.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The ban was to not process new forms. It will take a year or two for this to effect the ammo supply.

Reactions: 7.62Kolectr

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Germany, Croatia, Hungary, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Belarus, Poland.

The US played with steel case ammo during WWII.

Hornady makes steel case ammo today.
Freedom Munitions does as well.
They’re brass plated, and the minimal headstamp is exactly the same as their brass cased stuff.
Ever since they started making their steel cased stuff; I’ve has a magnet mounted near my press, and check every 9mm case with the “FM” headstamp before I put it into station one.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
Freedom Munitions does as well.
They’re brass plated, and the minimal headstamp is exactly the same as their brass cased stuff.
Ever since they started making their steel cased stuff; I’ve has a magnet mounted near my press, and check every 9mm case with the “FM” headstamp before I put it into station one.
If i'm understanding correctly , the steel cases would naturally be magnetic .. IMO not a very wise move , as any static electricity could go Boom with any powder throw in or near it . So you eliminate that possibility using your magnet then ? .

People buy them cheap , loaded up already . How do the manufacturers manage to load them in the first place [ coating the steel first ] ? Then what about the inside of the cases , still bare steel ? :unsure:

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
If only, they could be manufactured in the US.?
What's the hold up?

Reactions: 196THL.I.B.GUNNER

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
I have loaded a few steel cases by accident , they got mixed in some 45's I was loading and I didn't blow up.
Quick question my friend - How was your first stage Die de-primer tightening to original spec's, handle the steel vs regular brass ? Thank You :unsure:

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
They went right through without me even noticing, I had only been reloading for less than a year so I didn't have it down to a science back then.

·
Super Moderator
30,165 Posts
Not sure I care about steel cased ammo because I won't use it in any of my SD firearms.

Reactions: 196THL.I.B.GUNNER

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
If i'm understanding correctly , the steel cases would naturally be magnetic .. IMO not a very wise move , as any static electricity could go Boom with any powder throw in or near it . So you eliminate that possibility using your magnet then ? .

People buy them cheap , loaded up already . How do the manufacturers manage to load them in the first place [ coating the steel first ] ? Then what about the inside of the cases , still bare steel ? :unsure:
No; I use the magnet to determine if the case is steel or not.
If it’s steel; it gets thrown in the trash.

·
Registered
21,082 Posts
Quick question my friend - How was your first stage Die de-primer tightening to original spec's, handle the steel vs regular brass ? Thank You :unsure:
The steel cases don't expand against the chamber wall like brass....it's one of the reasons steel leaves the action dirtier than brass...the brass creates a seal when it expands...

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
Not sure I care about steel cased ammo because I won't use it in any of my SD firearms.
I have read in my G&A mag's that many people had FTF & Jams with them . Possibly the brass cases are more slippery ? Either that or not uniform for handgun use .. I have noticed the majority have been for the Sks's 7.62x39 ones & do work fine ..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts