Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 428 Posts

·
Administrator
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all have different stories as to why we decided to carry a concealed weapon. I would love hear everyone's story as to what finally did it for you.

I will make this a sticky because this has been asked in many different forums.

·
Registered
297 Posts
There was no single incident...just an awareness that the world is a dangerous place and a desire to be prepared for whatever came my way. I wanted to get one as soon as I was legal...but because of money issues...I was not able to until I was 23...and I have carried every day of my life since. Not necessarily "on body"... but always one near...or in some sort of "off body" device. (ie: in a Maxpedition Versipack...a so-called "manpurse" ;) )

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Well, I work very hard and try to enjoy the finest things I could afford for me and my family. One morning I woke up and realized that someone was on my property and tried to steal my waterpump for the filtration system. The crooks did not succeed however it got me thinking. How much did I spend on property versus how much on security? I did not like the answer. My family is very important to me and how would I defend them if I had to.

Well naturally the best defense apart from your brain is a firearm. A Glock19 and Glock26 later I carry at home and away from home.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I hate to sound bad but the worst elements from the south of this state are starting to come north. I'm not trying to insult anyone but I have family and friends who live in Miami along with many good people who live there but everyday in the news it's another home invasion, bank robbery or car jacking. I have to at least try to even the fight.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I pretty much work on the road. My job takes me to the best and the worst places but with all this I really did not consider carrying. The "meet force with force law" that Jeb Bush signed is what made me consider getting a weapon. Finally I felt that the law would back me if I had to defend myself. I think that this law has made many people start carrying unlike in other states where you literally have to run for your life or damn near be killed before you are legally able to fight back with deadly force.

Anyway, once I started carrying a weapon I now feel a little more protected when I'm in the road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I started carrying when cops became to heavy to walk around with. Seriously though I wanted to be able to defend myself against the growing population of idiots moving to Florida and I was starting a job in a horrible part of town.

·
Registered
4 Posts
About a year ago I was threatened by what appeared to be a drunk gang member while doing some work on my car in my driveway, luckily a sheriff deputy drove by & the the guy took off without incident, after that I got my CWP & I now am always armed & ready to protect my family & myself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Decided to carry

I realized at my age and with some physical liabilities I could no longer protect my wife or myself without a weapon. I pray I'll never need it but I couldn't live with myself if something happened and I wasn't prepared.
Also it is my constitutional right to carry.
I don't have my permit yet but Florida cashed my check yesterday so I imagine it won't be too long now.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
I don't have my permit yet but Florida cashed my check yesterday so I imagine it won't be too long now.
It usually takes about 45 days from the time they cash your check :(
It's just many more people are arming themselves. I have a healthy respect for people who take the responsibility to protect their family and themselves.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check cashed

Wow,
I figured since the electronic prints were sent 5/15 it would only take a week or two after they cashed the check.
Oh well, I just moved to Jax from Maryland where you can't get a permit at all so the prospect of several more weeks beats a blank.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Wow,
I figured since the electronic prints were sent 5/15 it would only take a week or two after they cashed the check.
Oh well, I just moved to Jax from Maryland where you can't get a permit at all so the prospect of several more weeks beats a blank.
Using the electronic fingerprint use to make the process faster but with so many people applying it just does not have the advantage anymore.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
What did it for me is twofold. First, my neighbor's house got broken into and my 13 year old daughter saw the guy trying to break in with a crow bar. Their front door is about 15 feet from my front door (our houses are the type with a side entry for the front door with a garage and room up front). My daughter was able to ID the crook for the police. She was scared but antoher one of her friends also saw the guy so the both did the ID. The second reason is that on weekends, we like to ride around. Sometimes you have to go through rough areas to get to places you want to go and with the price of gas these days, the old saying of the shortest distance between two points is a straight line really applies.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i work in a not so good area, a few crack head theives and drug dealers come around, and then theres the nut jobs who shoot inocent people in public places because they are having a bad day. thats more than enough for me. im protecting my wife and myself, no matter what. :ak

·
Registered
8 Posts
After I lost my son in January of 2007, I became dreadfully aware of what you can lose in this life. You stop whistling past the graveyard when something like that happens to you and your family. You can never take away all the dangers to you and your family, but with conceal carry, you can even the playing field to some of these threats.

There are too many decent people out there oblivious to how fragile life really is.

·
Administrator
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After I lost my son in January of 2007, I became dreadfully aware of what you can lose in this life. You stop whistling past the graveyard when something like that happens to you and your family. You can never take away all the dangers to you and your family, but with conceal carry, you can even the playing field to some of these threats.

There are too many decent people out there oblivious to how fragile life really is.
Sorry to hear about your loss but I'm inspired by the way you are dealing with you and the rest of your family's safety.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I finally unbrainwashed myself out of silly preconceptions I'd developed from years of martial arts training and realized that concealed carry of a firearm is simply a natural and obvious extension of all my previous training.

-JT

·
Registered
974 Posts
I finally unbrainwashed myself out of silly preconceptions I'd developed from years of martial arts training and realized that concealed carry of a firearm is simply a natural and obvious extension of all my previous training.

-JT
I used to figure I could handle myself due to martial arts training. Then I realized that I couldn't block a bullet. That was about the same time I realized that more and more often the bad guys were using bullets. In real life, bullet beats buddhist palm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Back in 1976 we inmigrated to this great country, and bought a Car wash with gas Station in montebello, Cal. About a year into our operations a Mexican American stole 5 bucks of gasoline, my silly brother did not have a better idea that to stared a small war with these people over the 5 bucks.... go figure.... Any way a month after that, always carrying a 38 on my car as I was coming out of my car 3 young black guys blades on hand tried to robe me. My 38 on my pocket.... as soon as I pulled it out they run.....
From that time I have come and gone to various places, several countries but always a handgun near by. Never ever having any kind of troubles with BG again, maybe because of those two occasions I became very alert to may surrondings whereever I went.

1 - 20 of 428 Posts