Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Personally...I am currently carrying the Winchester SXT 230g .45 acp in whatever I carry.

I was also carrying the same brand in my Kel-Tec .380 before I sold it.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Being that my only carry gun is a Glock19 I use Winchester 115 grain FMJ at the range. For SD its Luger 115+p JHP. My Glock is fed a steady diet of both with no hickups.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I carry Fiocchi extrema XTP HP 125 grain 38 special, my snubby's a bit old so no +p's.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I like the Gold Dots in .45, .380 and 9mm.

The feed well and they're accurate.
After that, shot placement is up to me.

AFS

·
Registered
30 Posts
I used to carry Remington Golden Saber. After reading many reviews about Corbon DPX and then testing expansion on inanimate objects, I was sold. My wife's defensive weapon is loaded with 9mm DPX in +P+, my car gun is loaded with DPX 45 +P, and my carry weapon is loaded with DPX 45 +P.

After seeing the results myself, there is nothing that compares. Also, keep in mind that the best performing ammo won't do you a bit of good if you dont hit your target but even poorly performing ammo will stop the threat if hit in the right areas.

FLSig

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Any of you guys shoot the Hornady TAP rounds? I just bought a box for my 40 but haven't had a chance to hit the range yet.

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
Winchester Ranger 9mm T-Series (RA9TA) 127gr +P+

Muzzle velocity is rated at 1240 FPS (4" Barrel)
Muzzle energy is rated at 440 FT/LBS (4" Barrel)

Penetration:
Penetrated a 12" deep water jug, pierced the second and settled at the bottom of it.

Expansion:
Expanded very well, beyond what I expected. Large in diameter with very sharp "talons", very impressive.
Expanded Diameter: 0.707" (17.96mm)

The Ranger T-Series is "supposed" to be the 3rd generation production of the infamous Black Talons. These rounds shoot well, penetrate perfectly and expand in a uniform and controlled manner. All tests produced consistent results with excellent performance. The Ranger T-Series feature the SXT's patented reverse taper bullet jacket and a notched hollow point design. This +P 127gr bullet expands reliably and uniformly into a frightening six petal flat headed monster. The hollow point design shows a thicker wall near the top to provide reliable expansion across a large velocity window and the thinner jacket at the heel provides for greater accuracy. This has got to be the only 127gr that I've seen expand to such a large diameter with six sharp protruding petals, have a look at the larger pictures, in particular Base View. This is by far one of the nastiest little critter I've come across and I would trust this round to perform well in stopping whatever gets in its way.
Conclusion: This is one heck of a can opener.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...er+9mm+T-Series+127gr+%2BP%2B&um=1&hl=en&sa=N

·
Registered
5,581 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
Yes, Winchester Ranger ammo comes in many calibers. In .40 S&W you have the following that is available that I am aware of:

RA40B Ranger Bonded 180gr 40 cal jhp Velocity: 1060 ft/sec
RA40T Winchester Ranger 40 S&W T-Series 180gr Velocity: 990 ft/sec
RA40BA Ranger Bonded 165gr 40 cal jhp Velocity: 1130 ft/sec
RA40TA Winchester Ranger T-Series 165gr (Ranger™SXT™) Velocity: 1120 ft/sec

I have the RA40TA round in my Sig P-229.

Here is a great link I have for this and other high quality ammo. Their prices are very reasonable.

http://www.mahsupplies.net/
(just click on the upper left corner for "Winchester Ranger Ammo")

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Thanks. Is there a similar article for the 40?

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
RD, I did not see any info for the .40 as I posted for the 9mm. I would think it would be fairly similar in it's expansion aspects with a slightly larger wound channel.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
I carry Federal Premium, 230 grain Hydro Shok, Jacketed Hollow Points in .45 acp in my Colt Combat Commander.

Enough power to end a bad situation in a hurry! :D

:thumsup

·
Registered
22 Posts
In my Glock 23 I carry 165gr Winchester SXT or 165 gr speer golddots
In my Smith&Wesson M&P9 I carry 124 Gr+P Federal HST or 124gr+p speer gold dots
In my Smith&Wesson model 60 I carry 158Gr LSWCHP +P from Remington

·
Registered
55,435 Posts
Winchester Ranger T in 9 and 45's. Standard velocity in both and heaviest bullet for each caliber offered.

I'd also consider the Speer Gold dots [ bonded core bullet ] or the Fed HST loads [ everything standard velocity and no +p or +p+ anything ].

Brownie

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased some Winchester SXT's for my new (well new to me) HK USP 45 Compact. I want to find some HST's though.

10mm Winchester Silvertips 180 grn
.40 S&W Remington Golden Sabers 165 grn

·
Registered
35 Posts
I use Hornady XTP 230 gr +P 45acp in both my Glock 21 and Glock 30

1 - 20 of 42 Posts