Florida Concealed Carry banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
6,138 Posts
Shooters MOA, lmao..... really? Well, now you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,431 Posts
Shooters MOA, lmao..... really? Well, now you know.

What they actually mean is it’s a IPHY. But whatever makes them sleep at night. As I said.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
What does it calculate out to range? Say 1k

Good question. I think my previous calculations (for the discrepancy) were incorrectly done, overstating the difference.

So... let's figure this out.

So, if my scope is dead-on, and there's no wind, and the weather is exactly the same as my zeroing weather, and the ballistics calculator is perfect, AND I'm a perfect shooter... theoretically, the bullet will land square in the x-ring at 1,000 yards:

I punched that into Strelok with two turret click values.

When set at the factory-claimed 0.25-MOA, it tells me to dial 154 clicks, which is 38.500-MOA.
When set at the corrected click value of 0.244-MOA, it tells me to dial 158 clicks, which is 38.552-MOA.

So, that's a difference of 0.052-MOA. That works out to 0.545-inches... a half inch at 1,000 yards!

In other words, negligible in the case of my scope. I think I got it right. Think. Not 100% sure. :)
Resurrecting an old thread. OK... I got this wrong again. See? I can admit I'm wrong! Sometimes! :grin

I start thinking about things randomly and spontaneously. But, a thread on the Strelok Users Group on Facebook got me thinking about this.

So... 154 clicks at a value of .25-MOA is 38.5-MOA. Strelok is calculating that my elevation (due to bullet drop) needs to be 38-1/2 MOA to be on target at 1,000 yards.

When Strelok accounts for the corrected 0.244-MOA click value, it increases the number of "clicks" to 158... or 4 more clicks. The total MOA is effectively the same. Duh! The correction in MOA HAS to be the same, right? The difference of 0.052 is like fractions of a penny. It's effectively the same. 38-1/2 MOA is the elevation correction for that distance, no matter what your turret click value is. The only thing a turret click value discrepancy can change is the number of "clicks." Make sense? :)

So, to answer Caleb's question... the difference caused by the turret value discrepancy is about 10 inches or 1-MOA at 1,000 yards. Four more clicks at a 0.244-MOA click value is 0.976-MOA. Or four clicks at 0.25-MOA per click = 1-MOA.

Put another way... If I had not validated my turret click value, I would be off by about 1-MOA or 10 inches at 1,000 yards. So, if I had not validated my turret click value and left it at the default of 1/4-MOA / click in my calculator, I would have dialed 154 clicks. But, since my click value is actually 0.244-MOA, that would have yielded an actual elevation change of 37.576-MOA... or rounded off, about 37-1/2 MOA. The correct elevation is 38-1/2 MOA. So, I would have impacted about 1-MOA low on the target (or about 10 inches) at 1,000 yards. Making sense?

How I missed this is.... well... a bit embarrassing! :doh

That's fairly significant at that distance. Obviously, it becomes less significant at shorter distances.

I'm pretty sure I got it right this time! LOL!

·
Registered
6,138 Posts
That’s enough to miss low at range! I asked that question because it made sense in my head but, could not figure it out (not mathematically inclined). Thanks for clearing it up.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
That’s enough to miss low at range! I asked that question because it made sense in my head but, could not figure it out (not mathematically inclined). Thanks for clearing it up.

Yep. The difference between a hit and a miss! A 2.4% (.25 to .244 MOA / click) discrepancy adds up over a longer distance.

·
Registered
6,138 Posts
Yep. The difference between a hit and a miss! A 2.4% (.25 to .244 MOA / click) discrepancy adds up over a longer distance.
Absolutely.

·
Registered
13,431 Posts
61 - 67 of 67 Posts