Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you field strip (as opposed to detail disassembly) or run a bore snake through and call it good? Obsessed or blasé? Every range trip or every 500 rounds?

I guess the Corps pounded a need to disassemble as far as it’s practical and remove all the carbon fouling. Then, getting everything lubed correctly without over doing it (exception AR bolt which I run “wet”).:cool:

Cleaning recent acquisitions revealed to me that my standards are pretty high and maybe a neurotic ingrained thing from the Marine Corps.:(

What do you do? :unsure:

Reactions: Calimwulf

·
Registered
301 Posts
Handguns are like my butt; they get cleaned after use, even just a little. :poop::LOL:

Reactions: MPDC66

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
I do a normal clean everytime I fire any of my guns - clean barrel and everything I can get without complete disasembly. I track how many rounds are fired in each gun in a small spiral note book in my range bag, every 500 rounds I do a complete deep clean and disasembly. The exception is everytime I fire an AR it gets the full treatment because it likes to run wet.

·
Registered
15,538 Posts
Man I used to be so ocd about it I would clean every gun to perfection even if I it fired it very little. Now I mostly wipe em off and put em back in the safe. When it hiccups I’ll clean it.
Same.

·
Registered
15,778 Posts
Depends. 1911's get cleaned. Shield is lucky if I wave a qtip at it

·
Registered
15,538 Posts
So you got that borescope to see how dirty they still are? 🤔🤪😂
Nope. I got the bore scope to inspect the bore of that old shotgun I bought.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
My carry guns are cleaned very well every time they’re shot.
My range and training gun gets cleaned about twice a year. Every time it’s shot; it gets the muzzle, breech face, and barrel feed ramp wiped off with a rag, and thrown back into the range bag ‘til next time.

That gun’s has been through several 1500 round count weekend TFP courses without any cleaning; and I haven’t been able to get it dirty enough to choke yet…

·
Registered
56,816 Posts
Like you MPDC66, anal about cleaning weapons due to the Corps. When I got out, it would take me 45-60 minutes to "clean" a 1911. Eventually I came to the realization that they don't have to be white gloves inspection clean actually be clean.

Carry guns get cleaned before they are carried again. Range guns rarely get cleaned. If I fire anything out of a carry piece, it gets a quick clean which means a field stripping of course. As an example, I use bore snakes now. 3 passes with one is sufficient for any of the guns I use for carry. I've run a patch down the bore afterwards and been reward with more fouling coming off on the patch, but the damned gun IS clean. I stopped worrying about white glove clean after just a few years mustering out.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
For non carry guns, they get cleaned when they need it.

Carry guns get field stripped and cleaned after each use.

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Registered
15,538 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: BeerHunter
1 - 20 of 31 Posts