Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While i am walking a trench in to the sidewalk daily to my mailbox waiting for my liscence to come back, i know it is leagle for me to carry concealed around my home and property. my question is i live in a condo, can i carry concealed in the common areas of the condos ie walking my dog or would that be illeagle

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
No, Although you have the right to have it either in your car or condo. you cannot carry it across common ground such as a parking lot, sidewalk or elevator unless you have a Concealed Weapons Permit.

·
213 Posts
Hobbystock,

I think there were a few posts on this subject a few days ago.

·
Registered
974 Posts
No, Although you have the right to have it either in your car or condo. you cannot carry it across common ground such as a parking lot, sidewalk or elevator unless you have a Concealed Weapons Permit.
I believe the law states you may carry it to and from your car.

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
I believe the law states you may carry it to and from your car.
This only pertains to those owning or renting a home apartments or condos are touchy areas considering the common areas check F.S. 790.25 its not listed as one of the exemptions referring to florida firearms law page 94 Mr. Gutmacher states technically you can't transport to and from your car,

through common areas unless you have a CWL,He also states it is a stupid law and people should contact thier legistlators to try and get this changed.

IMO, one would think you could move it from your car to the condo unloaded and out of sight in a secured case but it doesn't show that and if attacked in the parking lot doesn't do you much good.

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
This only pertains to those owning or renting a home apartments or condos are touchy areas considering the common areas check F.S. 790.25 its not listed as one of the exemptions referring to florida firearms law page 94 Mr. Gutmacher states technically you can't transport to and from your car,

through common areas unless you have a CWL,He also states it is a stupid law and people should contact thier legistlators to try and get this changed.

IMO, one would think you could move it from your car to the condo unloaded and out of sight in a secured case but it doesn't show that and if attacked in the parking lot doesn't do you much good.
What OD said. There is no stipulation in the FSS (790.06 or 790.053) for transporting a gun to or from your car ANYWHERE without a license.

The only exemptions listed, as OD pointed out are those found in para. 3 of 790.25, and to/from your condo/apt isn't one of them.

Slight oversight on the part of the legislature :rolleyes:

·
Registered
974 Posts
What OD said. There is no stipulation in the FSS (790.06 or 790.053) for transporting a gun to or from your car ANYWHERE without a license.

The only exemptions listed, as OD pointed out are those found in para. 3 of 790.25, and to/from your condo/apt isn't one of them.

Slight oversight on the part of the legislature :rolleyes:

(3) LAWFUL USES.--The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:

(j) A person firing weapons for testing or target practice under safe conditions and in a safe place not prohibited by law or going to or from such place;

I think I saw something that read a lot like (j) that covered you going to and from your car in relation to the extension of the Castle Doctrine to your car. I can't find it now so it is possible I'm confusing it with (j) above.

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
Lawful if your on your property driveway and such related property if you rent or own but as previously stated Common areas such as a parking lot or hallways is in question cause other people use these and is considered to be carrying concealed without a license, page 94 Mr.Gutmacher clearly states it as the law reads sad but true,funny the legeslature writes these laws make them so vague and we have to figure them out,and if we mis-read or mis-understand we have to suffer the consequences.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
While i am walking a trench in to the sidewalk daily to my mailbox waiting for my liscence to come back, i know it is leagle for me to carry concealed around my home and property. my question is i live in a condo, can i carry concealed in the common areas of the condos ie walking my dog or would that be illeagle
Page 82 Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership by:Jon H.Gutmacher
6th edition

Pg. 82

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
(3) LAWFUL USES.--The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:

(j) A person firing weapons for testing or target practice under safe conditions and in a safe place not prohibited by law or going to or from such place;

I think I saw something that read a lot like (j) that covered you going to and from your car in relation to the extension of the Castle Doctrine to your car. I can't find it now so it is possible I'm confusing it with (j) above.
Even if there was such a stipulation in the Use of Force statute (FSS 776), which there is not, it still would not cover you in the common areas of apartment and condo complexes....

You could probably make an argument for transporting to/from your vehicle in such instances in conjunction with going to/from the activities listed in 790.25, but even then, I think that's pushing things a little bit. That's not what 790.25 is meant to provide.

It's a hole in the statutes that needs to get fixed. In the gray areas of Florida Firearms Law, I tend to take Jon's word for things. I don't have my copy of his book, but another poster pointed out where he addresses this issue.

·
Registered
46 Posts
"Jons" book

Even if there was such a stipulation in the Use of Force statute (FSS 776), which there is not, it still would not cover you in the common areas of apartment and condo complexes....

You could probably make an argument for transporting to/from your vehicle in such instances in conjunction with going to/from the activities listed in 790.25, but even then, I think that's pushing things a little bit. That's not what 790.25 is meant to provide.

It's a hole in the statutes that needs to get fixed. In the gray areas of Florida Firearms Law, I tend to take Jon's word for things. I don't have my copy of his book, but another poster pointed out where he addresses this issue.
Sixth Edition (2009) page 94

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
It's tough but something you just have to live with until the CWL arrives.

I'm lucky in that I own my house so I carried concealed while I was waiting. I stood in my yard and reached around the mailbox as I couldn't legally step into the street. Man am I glad that is not an issue anymore. :rolf

1 - 13 of 13 Posts