Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is in the concealed carry portion of the forum because AIWB is the only effective method of concealment I have now. After more than a decade of everyday concealed carry, I had to move it from 3:00 to 11:30.

When I started carrying, I was in the 220 pound range, and with a 34" waist. 3:00 provided enough fat cushion and flat real estate to effectively carry and conceal a full-sized double stacker. That was where I carried all the time.

A little less than two years ago, I went on a serious dietary/exercise change which resulted in about a twenty pound weight loss in the ensuing year. The first pic shows me a year after the new diet, down about twenty pounds.

The second pic was taken this Father's day. About ten pounds ago, I could no longer effectively carry at 3:00, and had to move the gun up to the front. 11:30 provides both maximum comfort and concealment. With the now 30" waist, that's where it is.

I can carry M&P's comfortably there, but Glocks feel and look like bricks there in the same style holsters. Go figure. The 45 Shield and M&P9c 2.0 are the only two I carry any more.

I'm the old guy in the pics, btw.

Attachments

Registered
Very nice.

Reactions: mike1956

Registered
congratulations on the weight loss...

Registered
Nice looking family and congratulations on the weight loss. Have you tried a panther IWB to carry at about 4 o鈥檆lock? I don鈥檛 carry a lot of extra weight but find 4 to 430 carry works well for me with the right holster and untucked shirt.

Perhaps an alternative would be a fake foam rubber fat roll.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Nice looking family and congratulations on the weight loss. Have you tried a panther IWB to carry at about 4 o鈥檆lock? I don鈥檛 carry a lot of extra weight but find 4 to 430 carry works well for me with the right holster and untucked shirt.

Perhaps an alternative would be a fake foam rubber fat roll.
With my former build, anything past 3:00 printed like a duffel bag. With my current build, add extreme discomfort to the duffel bag. Even at 12:30-1:00, which is generally the norm for right-handed AIWB carry, chafing and printing are deal-breakers for me.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7

Here is the other part of my weight loss/exercise program. I have been riding a road bike since 2005, but my mileage dropped off after a few initial years of enthusiasm. It turns out that my original bike didn't fit my frame so well, and the road bike suspension made the ride so hard on my upper-middle age body that riding became an unpleasant chore. The gravel bike suspension system and overall fit makes bicycling a bearable, and usually enjoyable endeavor again.

Several years ago, one of my favorite firearms instructors suggested that some of us in that particular class might be better served to spend our training dollars on a gym membership than another thousand dollar gunfighting weekend. The money I've saved by cutting back on gun classes more than paid for the bike.

Registered
Congratulations! A true accomplishment for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Nice bike, I had a soft ride road bike and couldn鈥檛 handle it. I went back to the Cannondale dual suspension mountain bike. I have since given it away and after nine back surgeries if I ever crashed again it might be disastrous.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Nice bike, I had a soft ride road bike and couldn鈥檛 handle it. I went back to the Cannondale dual suspension mountain bike. I have since given it away and after nine back surgeries if I ever crashed again it might be disastrous.
After I got into road biking, I briefly considered getting a mountain bike. I took one for a test ride, which was the last time I ever rode one. The gravel bike with 40mm tires is as close as I ever need to get to mountain biking.

Registered
Still loving on the Shield .45s you turned me on to a few years back.
Still carrying mine as well Mike. It'll be making the bike journey with me through Utah, Colorado, Wyoming and NM in another month. Planning on 3 weeks, maybe less, to go see devils tower and mt. rushmore

Super Moderator
I really loved shooting Rick McC's Performance Center Shield 9 and his Shield 45. Those are some great little single-stacks, IMHO! (y)

Super Moderator
This thread is in the concealed carry portion of the forum because AIWB is the only effective method of concealment I have now. After more than a decade of everyday concealed carry, I had to move it from 3:00 to 11:30.

When I started carrying, I was in the 220 pound range, and with a 34" waist. 3:00 provided enough fat cushion and flat real estate to effectively carry and conceal a full-sized double stacker. That was where I carried all the time.

A little less than two years ago, I went on a serious dietary/exercise change which resulted in about a twenty pound weight loss in the ensuing year. The first pic shows me a year after the new diet, down about twenty pounds.

The second pic was taken this Father's day. About ten pounds ago, I could no longer effectively carry at 3:00, and had to move the gun up to the front. 11:30 provides both maximum comfort and concealment. With the now 30" waist, that's where it is.

I can carry M&P's comfortably there, but Glocks feel and look like bricks there in the same style holsters. Go figure. The 45 Shield and M&P9c 2.0 are the only two I carry any more.

I'm the old guy in the pics, btw.
Looking quite trim there, Mike! Well done, sir! (y)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts