Florida Concealed Carry banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It's a novelty item. People buy all sorts of novelty items. I bet PLENTY of people will buy this. It's a conversation piece.
Well…it doesn’t make me a bad person ya know. :whistle:

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
According to a "B" cowboy movie of my youth, if you are gifted a silver bullet, you will never die of a gunshot.
Geoff
Who figures, with his luck, it'll be napalm. Sigh.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Wouldn’t it be awful to spend 150 bucks on one round and then plan to do ballistics testing in a gel block. As you pull the trigger, you have a sharp neck pain and flinch and then completely miss the gel block. That would be enough to make you cry

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
At least it's not for a semi auto. Imagine having to cycle a few hundred rounds to make sure the gun likes it before facing a werewolf.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Wouldn’t it be awful to spend 150 bucks on one round and then plan to do ballistics testing in a gel block. As you pull the trigger, you have a sharp neck pain and flinch and then completely miss the gel block. That would be enough to make you cry
Depends.
Is the sharp neck pain the result of being bit by a vampire?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
No mention of bullet weight, velocity, ballistics testing in gel?

😅
Hmm.. a metal that is less dense than lead, but harder, so it will not expand as well, or engage the rifling.

So a lightweight projectile that more often than not will be a flier. 😊

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
55,578 Posts
Hmm.. a metal that is less dense than lead, but harder, so it will not expand as well, or engage the rifling.

So a lightweight projectile that more often than not will be a flier. 😊
Silver is roughly 7.5% less dense than lead. Lead has a BHN of 5, silver is much harder, with a BHN of 24.5. Silver would be a poor substitute for lead, where expansion is concerned.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
There have been several attempts over the years by members of the Cast Boolits forum Cast Boolits to mould silver projectiles. Mostly failures, best performance/appearance was from turning on a lath.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
If I was to do that on my lathe, I’d have to clean the machine and the pan really good for a few days first then lay out some kind of shower curtain or something to make sure you caught ever chip of the silver so you could recast it. No way would you want the chips to go to waste at that kinda pricing for silver. :eek:

Reactions: LabGuy

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just showing my age here...

The Lone Ranger always used silver bullets. He never killed a single werewolf, or vampire. Hi Ho Silver... AWAY! ;)>

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
A couple random thoughts this morning....

1) Thugs are barely "worth" the copper in typical range ammo, let alone silver.
Which you know, raises the question what bullets should be made of. Poop, maybe?

2) But, the surgeon could also retrieve the silver bullet and put it towards the bad guy's medical bill, so there's that.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
A couple random thoughts this morning....

1) Thugs are barely "worth" the copper in typical range ammo, let alone silver.
Which you know, raises the question what bullets should be made of. Poop, maybe?

2) But, the surgeon could also retrieve the silver bullet and put it towards the bad guy's medical bill, so there's that.
Would you take a werewolf to a vet or a regular hospital?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts