Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a friend to the range today for some instruction. Went to Shoot Straight.

Got there about 12:30pm and there were about 4 guys standing outside the front door. Inside the front door was an employee "gate keeper." Two of the guys outside told us they were waiting for the range. The other two were waiting to buy something.

While waiting outside, more people arrived. The gate keeper dude would pop out and ask them if they were there for the range or to buy and then let them know about the wait time. It was obvious to me, that several of the "buyers" were likely first-timers. They had a "look" on their faces. They were scared. They were worried. They were lost... out of their element at a gun store.

After about 15 minutes, we were allowed in to sign in for the range. Once inside, I looked around. I saw a lot of empty space in the glass counters, and lots of empty spots on the wall, too. There were about a dozen people in line for "counter help" to buy a gun.

The range wasn't full, but I think they were limiting the number of people in... with empty lanes between shooters.

After we were done at the range, the counter help line inside was still long. When we got outside, there were at least a dozen people there waiting to get in. Again... many of them looked like lost children.

It's an interesting "vibe" out there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It was even busier on Wednesday when I went. Up until the COVID-19 pandemic I would go and shoot twice a week. Being in the Geezer category with a comorbidity factor I had refrained from going. However this Wednesday I needed to go because I needed some assistance with my AR. I hadn't had the handguards off in 25 years so I managed to get them off and when it was time to put them back there was no way I could do it. I dumped it in the car and drove up to shoot straight and it took them 30 seconds well maybe a little bit more but it took them less than two minutes to do what I had struggled for an hour and couldn't do. I've been very pleased with all the help and service I've received from the people at shoot straight I really enjoy shooting there

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been very pleased with all the help and service I've received from the people at shoot straight I really enjoy shooting there.
Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
I've had good experiences with their service, as well, ever since they opened.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
The guy next door called me for some advice on buying his first handgun he had been to Shoot Strait and they were sold out. About 3 years ago I had offered to let him shoot some of my handguns to see what guns he liked and looked up the gun he wanted on buds and printed it out, big suprize it was way cheaper. Next I'll try to get him to join NRA.

·
Registered
10,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been getting messages and calls asking me for advice from first time gun buyers. People are freaking out.

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
I need some range time but, hate indoor ranges with a passion. Blah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I need some range time but, hate indoor ranges with a passion. Blah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't like them much, either. But, it was convenient to get my friend competent with handguns.

·
Registered
10,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh! When I was waiting, I spoke to the gatekeeper dude up front and asked if they're selling guns, given that the Mayor of WPB ordered that all guns and ammo sales are suspended. He said, "We are selling guns and ammo as normal. We are ignoring the order. We believe in the Constitution."

RESPECT!

·
Super Moderator
26,291 Posts
I too was talking with a friend and co-worker about
Oh! When I was waiting, I spoke to the gatekeeper dude up front and asked if they're selling guns, given that the Mayor of WPB ordered that all guns and ammo sales are suspended. He said, "We are selling guns and ammo as normal. We are ignoring the order. We believe in the Constitution."

RESPECT!
That's a real breath of fresh air! (y)

·
Registered
16,448 Posts

RESPECT!
i don’t believe SS is in the city of WPB? Gator said the same thing, they aren’t in city of WPB and that doesn’t apply to them.

·
Registered
10,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i don’t believe SS is in the city of WPB? Gator said the same thing, they aren’t in city of WPB and that doesn’t apply to them.
Yep. You're right. WPB borders are rather wiggly and zig-zaggy! Gator Guns is just BARELY outside the border... like yards away.

·
Super Moderator
26,291 Posts
It's not in West Palm Beach the zip code is 33413
To be clear, West Palm Beach Zip Codes are : 33401, 33405, 33406, 33407, 33409, 33411, 33412, and 33417

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have had guns before I was 16. My sons know I am a gun advocate. One lives in California can't leave due to wife's family.
He owns guns there.
Another son who lives close by told me last week that he has changed his mind about gun ownership.
He believes he should now own them. His wife has been pro-gun.
She wanted to go to the range with me. I have told her that she needs to take a beginners class before I would. I don't feel I am qualified to teach a new shooter. I would have made a lousy teacher.
Well they both are signing up for a beginners class.
They are not sure when they will be able to get in. The range that gives it has advised that they are waiting to see if they get ammo. they are out. Should be this month.
Son said he would be willing to pay more if they could get in sooner. He was advised, no that they just don't have any ammo. They are completely out. Awaiting shipment.
This range supplies guns and ammo with their class.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Forgot to mention in the above. My wife also took beginners class, then shortly after that got her concealed carry license. This was years ago.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
My brother just called to check in, and asked me if I knew where he might be able to buy a Mossberg Shockwave.
He's in Jacksonville.

Frankly, I hadn't been paying any attention to the current run on guns and ammo.
I thought we were through all this on COVID, but now I guess there's a Phase-2 clamor due to the riots?

Anyway, he said everywhere he checked was out-of-stock (which probably wasn't an exhaustive search, knowing my brother).
Is that true - anybody know if shotguns are still avail?

My brother has a couple decent handguns, and is proficient with them, etc....

·
Registered
756 Posts
She wanted to go to the range with me. I have told her that she needs to take a beginners class before I would. I don't feel I am qualified to teach a new shooter. I would have made a lousy teacher.
Well they both are signing up for a beginners class.
They are not sure when they will be able to get in. The range that gives it has advised that they are waiting to see if they get ammo. they are out. Should be this month.
Do them and yourself a favor and take them to the range. You do not need "training" to exercise your 2nd amendment right. It's not about being a good teacher as much as it is just making sure they simply understand the basic safety rules. My kids all know the rules since they were 5 years old!!!!

·
Super Moderator
26,291 Posts
My brother just called to check in, and asked me if I knew where he might be able to buy a Mossberg Shockwave.
He's in Jacksonville.

Frankly, I hadn't been paying any attention to the current run on guns and ammo.
I thought we were through all this on COVID, but now I guess there's a Phase-2 clamor due to the riots?

Anyway, he said everywhere he checked was out-of-stock (which probably wasn't an exhaustive search, knowing my brother).
Is that true - anybody know if shotguns are still avail?

My brother has a couple decent handguns, and is proficient with them, etc....
Try On Target Sports in Orange Park. Great service and is run by FCC member and Super Moderator "rvrctyrngr" (Scott W), who hasn't posted here in a while because he is also on the board of and so busy behind the scenes at FloridaCarry.org. Not sure what the inventory is like at OTS right now, but I often drop in to say hello to Scott on business trips to Jacksonville (last time was September last year) and the walls and counters are usually full of just about anything one is looking for. If he asks for Scott, tell your brother to tell Scott "BeerHunter" sent him his way. Good luck! :cool:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts