Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Registered
17,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day, I was fueling up. I'm always "Condition Yellow" at the gas station. I lock the gas nozzle (auto-shut-off) and walk around to the front or rear of my car and become a "look-out."

I noticed a man approaching and talking to another customer who was standing trapped between his car, the pump, and the nozzle / hose. The customer let the stranger walk right up to bad-breath distance. Apparently, it was a homeless (?) person asking for a hand-out. But, he was RIGHT ON TOP of the customer.

After being turned down, the man set his sights on me (I was at the next pump). I saw it (and him) coming. As he approached, I moved around my car to keep that barrier between us. It didn't faze him and he started to round the corner of my car. I kept moving and used a command voice, "Do NOT come any closer!" He stopped dead in his tracks (and looked a bit perplexed).... and then moved on to the NEXT car / customer who he ALSO trapped and got within touching distance. I wish I had taken video.

I also noticed that when I barked at him to stay away, it even got the first customer's attention.

He may be harmless. But he may NOT be harmless. Folks, don't let complete strangers corner you and get within bad breath distance. You are putting yourselves at significant risk!

Here's a perfect example of trapping yourself while fueling and IGNORING the environment. This guy actually DID see it coming and turned his head down and away.

· Registered
17,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The same can be said for ex-boyfriends / girlfriends / wives / husbands, etc...
The "stranger" just adds another level to it.
You have exboyfriends, girlfriends, wives approaching you at gas stations???

I think you missed the point here.

Reactions: BeerHunter

· Registered
5,324 Posts

Maybe I should have added the qualifiers "disgruntled" and/or "stalker" type. ?

I occasionally get accosted at gas stations by beggars.
I can usually just shake my head or something and that does the trick - they leave me alone.

A similar situation to the one you describe is when people try to sell melons, roses, (or whatever) in traffic.
Since I always have the AC on (South Florida), it's usually not a problem -- plus, I guess I could always run them over.
But that's another case where people can (literally) corner you if you're stuck in traffic or waiting on a light.

· Registered
543 Posts
Not mentioned in OP but I detest those TV's at gas pumps.

I started carrying a 2nd gun in my weak hand front pocket a few years ago due to a beggar that was approaching in a parking lot and kept coming despite me shaking my head, No, NO and finally I'm shaking my head NO and saying NO when he turns away. I could not put my hand on the Glock I had IWB without revealing I was carrying and I decided I'd like that option in the future. If I see someone "shady" approaching I have the option put my hand on a PM9 without revealing I'm carrying (can't do that with the Glock IWB), handy in parking lots and gas pumps.

· Registered
17,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not mentioned in OP but I detest those TV's at gas pumps.
Why? Are you unable to resist standing there watching?

I could not put my hand on the Glock I had IWB without revealing I was carrying
Another odd / curious statement. Why would staging your hand reveal what you are carrying?

Reactions: BeerHunter

· Registered
17,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

· Registered
16,131 Posts
My friendly demeanor generally wards off any social interaction

· Registered
19,539 Posts
I still remember a similar situation where a ‘homeless’ guy approached me at a gas station when filling up a clients car. I was working so had nothing on me. When I politely said I didn’t have anything for him he kinda took it wrong, got a lil angry and kept coming closer. I removed pump nozzle from the car held it up and pointing it at him. Then I held up key fob making it appear like it was a lighter and told him ‘don’t make me do it!’ He finally got the mssg, turned around and walked away.

· Administrator
33,045 Posts
I still remember a similar situation where a ‘homeless’ guy approached me at a gas station when filling up a clients car. I was working so had nothing on me. When I politely said I didn’t have anything for him he kinda took it wrong, got a lil angry and kept coming closer. I removed pump nozzle from the car held it up and pointing it at him. Then I held up key fob making it appear like it was a lighter and told him ‘don’t make me do it!’ He finally got the mssg, turned around and walked away.
Everyone seems to forget that nozzle pumping flammable liquid into their tank. In a pinch, pulling that nozzle and letting them know they will be dowsed if they come any closer should get their attention. If it doesn't, then "prepare to be boarded" because either they aren't "all there" or definitely have nefarious intent! :unsure:

· Administrator
33,045 Posts

Sure seems the point was missed. :unsure: Similar scenarios have been discussed here several times and as in all other "transitional spaces," my head is always on a swivel and my posture and reaction is virtually identical to yours. (y)(y)

· Registered
58,258 Posts
Everyone seems to forget that nozzle pumping flammable liquid into their tank. In a pinch, pulling that nozzle and letting them know they will be dowsed if they come any closer should get their attention. If it doesn't, then "prepare to be boarded" because either they aren't "all there" or definitely have nefarious intent! :unsure:
Very few, taking petroleum to the face with continue the attack, basically because their eyes will be on fire. 100x times more effective than pepper spray. One doesn't need to have an ignition source.

· Registered
1,394 Posts
Did you notice that the camera was moving almost following the action and a bit shaky.
It started filming before the crime took place!!
Did the camera person know this was going down, or were they a part of it?
Or was it staged and fake news :unsure: :unsure:

The guy needed a new pair of swivels on his neck that's for sure.

· Registered
17,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you notice that the camera was moving almost following the action and a bit shaky.
It started filming before the crime took place!!
Did the camera person know this was going down, or were they a part of it?
Or was it staged and fake news :unsure: :unsure:

The guy needed a new pair of swivels on his neck that's for sure.
It's a phone cam video of a security of a monitor. A handheld video of the video playing on a monitor. Watch closely, and you can see the edges of the monitor and the time stamp from the surveillance system.

· Registered
17,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

· Registered
7,923 Posts
Me either. Only saw it in Point Break when Bodi used it to torch the get away car. I thought that was just movie magic though. :unsure:

· Registered
58,258 Posts
You'll get 3-5, maybe 6 feet of dowsing flow out of the nozzle. I don't care if it's just 2 feet, they'll walk right into it if they want a problem. Not just the burning eyes, the vapors may make it so their lungs feel like they are burning too. Sight and respiratory problems tend to take the snot out of about anyone.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts