Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the Hallendale Beach Walmart this morning looking for any .223.

There was none and no space for it. Just shotgun and hunting rifle calibers as well as .22

·
Registered
176 Posts
Correct. Walmart no longer carries any handgun or what they call “military-type rifle” calibers. This went into effect middle of December.

They also no longer allow open carry (in states where legal of course) but still welcome legal concealed carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,202 Posts
Correct. Walmart no longer carries any handgun or what they call “military-type rifle” calibers. This went into effect middle of December.

They also no longer allow open carry (in states where legal of course) but still welcome legal concealed carry.

do you mean that particular walmart?...because ours have a lifetime renewable supply of those calibers...

·
Registered
176 Posts
do you mean that particular walmart?...because ours have a lifetime renewable supply of those calibers...
No, it is a corporate policy. They were going to sell through their current inventory, including warehouse stocks and contracted future commitments, but not ordering more. Could be that they just still have some. The stores in my area have been out since around Christmas.

Here’s a link to their corporate policy re sales of ammo, guns, and open/concealed carry in stores:

https://corporate.walmart.com/newsroom/2019/09/03/mcmillon-to-associates-our-next-steps-in-response-to-the-tragedies-in-el-paso-and-southaven

·
Registered
1,941 Posts

I thought Walmart was on record as requesting its customer who can legally carry concealed to refrain from doing so in their stores. :dunno
They didn't go so far as to outright ban the practice, but made their preferences known.
Do I have that correct?

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
I thought Walmart was on record as requesting its customer who can legally carry concealed to refrain from doing so in their stores. :dunno
They didn't go so far as to outright ban the practice, but made their preferences known.
Do I have that correct?
It’s my understanding that it applies to open carry, not CCW. And it’s a “request” because in general an entities’ policies apply to employees, not the general public.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Do I have that correct?
No, Walmart is ok with legal concealed carry, but it is their policy to politely ask someone openly carrying to store the weapon in their vehicle, or transition to concealed carry.

I witnessed this happen in a Walmart in South Georgia last month. A guy walked in open carry and the greeter just said “hey buddy you mind covering that up, new policy and all.” The guy said “oh I forgot” flipped his shirt over it and life went on.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
No, Walmart is ok with legal concealed carry, but it is their policy to politely ask someone openly carrying to store the weapon in their vehicle, or transition to concealed carry.

I witnessed this happen in a Walmart in South Georgia last month. A guy walked in open carry and the greeter just said “hey buddy you mind covering that up, new policy and all.” The guy said “oh I forgot” flipped his shirt over it and life went on.

Thanks for the correction. I really thought they frowned on concealed-carry.
I guess now Walmart is up a small notch in my "book".
And it totally negates my one-man "mini-customer revolt" when I do conceal carry in their stores. (There goes the satisfaction...) :)

Unfortunately, it also means that either my memory is slipping (Yikes!!), or I'm the victim of sloppy journalism... again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts