Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a phone call from my wife. Some very good friends of ours who live a couple of miles away had a little incident last nite. Now these people have kids the same age as ours and they have all went to school together since kindergarten. The daughter who lives at home with the parents (she's 22 yrs old) pulled up in front of the house at 9:30pm last nite, just getting home from work. Dad and Mom were in the house and still up. 2 black males, one bald and one with dreadlocks were walking down the street. She had noticed them but thought nothing of it as people are out walking all the time she said. As she exited her little red car, they approached her, shoved her up against the car, demanded here keys. She handed the keys to them, the one with dreadlocks reached up and stroked here face and told her what a pretty little thing she was. She apparently got loose with her purse still intact and ran up the driveway to the house. The two males jumped in the car and took off. Thankfully, the girl wasn't hurt physically although she is quite shook up emotionally. Dad stayed home today and is changing all the locks on the doors as her house key was also on the same key ring. Mom and Dad are also pretty upset by what happened. They know what I do for a living and my wife has talked to them about being prepared for years but that "Can't happen to me" attitude has prevailed...I suspect things are going to change here shortly around that household...and 4 or 5 other couples that are also close to them and us as all our kids grew up together. Ironic how over the years they all thought I was over the top preaching and teaching awareness and self defense. The first question I had this morning from them was..How could and can we prevent this from happening again??

Police said she most likely wasn't injured because it seems there is gang who comes up from Sanford across the river here and all they want are the cars. Might not get as lucky as only getting the car stolen next time.

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
I'm glad the girl was unharmed SwampRat. It could have been a kidnapping and ended very badly for the family.

The family got lucky and still have a daughter, the daughter should have been less trusting of their proximity to her and her potential vulnerability. The dreadlocks would have done it for me, I've had NO good interaction with anyone who wears them.

Call me paranoid, but the hair on the back of my neck stands up quickly based on appearance of others, some appearances more than others.

Brownie

·
Registered
204 Posts
That old saying of "You can't judge a book by it's cover" never did fly with me.

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
I personally will still wait until I know something about a book before i judge and form an opinion about it.

·
Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
I have many comments on your post, SwampRat. I'm very thankful she managed to escape their wrath with only a 'warning' to her personal safety. A car can be replaced but...

Part of me is glad it happened to her...by that I mean her initial exposure to personal violence was just that...a wake up call. I would never wish for anything harmful to happen to young ladies but for some this type of personal confrontation is exactly what it takes. She has every reason to take very seriously what has happened to her. These guys now know what she looks like and where she lives. And this creep touched her in a very personal way. That alone will never leave her. Never.

The first thing you need to do is gently but firmly insist that she meet you at the range with several of her friends. Get the moms there as well. Girls talk. I bet she has already told all of her girlfriends. That is the perfect time to sweep them all up together and do a class on personal safety because now they *know* someone that this has happened to. That drives it home like nothing else. You must capitalize on this now before it is just a passing thought with them.

All this week I've been haunted again of my own attack. It never leaves you. Sometimes I just get scared to the core of my being. The other night I had a block of time during my dd's dance class. I needed reprints of photos and it had just turned dusk and fear of going inside of a pharmacy box store prevented me from getting my pictures done. I'm even armed now but still couldn't do it. I hate it when that happens.

Your friend needs to deal with this now. How I wish I had someone to guide me by taking me to a range. Please keep offering your services. I pray they listen this time.

MamaBear

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MB, thanks for the push!!..Sometimes us old grizzly guys get tired of our advice always falling on deaf ears we have a tendency to look at it as an "I told you so"..Your passion for self defense and personal experience would be a great motivator and powerful testimony to other women if you ever decided to become an Instructor..you keep fighting girl and you'll get there..I know things like this have a very personal meaning for you. Your insight and candid comments are appreciated.

As for our friends they have been offered an all womens/girls class in the past. I'm sure my wife will be the driving force behind getting all of them to attend a class now that this has happened. This is a life changing experience for all of them and I'm sure, even though no harm was done, the emotional scars and fear will remain for a very long time to come...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey SwampRat, Greetings, I just read over what you wrote. I really believe a lot of people lower there guard as soon as they get into there neighborhood, familiar surroundings, or the drive-way. I just posted an article under the Self Defense topic, that talks a little bit about this stuff, it's pretty boring but let me know what you think?

Kludo

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
Thankfully this was a lesson learned that could have turned out much worse. Hopefully this little scare will be a wake up call.

These people need you right now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It happens every day somewhere. It's almost always to the people that think it will never happen to them. How lucky is she. This video has been around awhile but IMHO it can never be watched enough. When I meet somebody that is anti gun, indifferent about self defense or just doesn't get it I send them this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1u0Byq5Qis

It really says it all. Note the bored stares from the elected officials... How could anyone not stand and applaud this woman after hearing her speak? With the countries recent change in "management" this link is worth circulating.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts