Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be driving from my home in Florida to my daughters in Ohio. In my research it looks as if going thru Florida, Georgia, Kentucky and Tennessee I should be fine as long as I have my weapon concealed in my vehicle, in the glovebox, center console or on my person concealed. In Ohio I must have my weapon locked in a container and not easily excess able.
So in my SUV locked in a gun case in the rear storage compartment.
Does this sound about right?

·
Super Moderator
29,712 Posts
You have a FCWFL and are a legal resident of Florida, correct? If so, I'm not sure you're reading Ohio Statutes correctly, but someone less tired than I will have to step in tonight. Otherwise I'll try to look it up tomorrow. In the meantime, see hangunlaw.us

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
I will be driving from my home in Florida to my daughters in Ohio. In my research it looks as if going thru Florida, Georgia, Kentucky and Tennessee I should be fine as long as I have my weapon concealed in my vehicle, in the glovebox, center console or on my person concealed. In Ohio I must have my weapon locked in a container and not easily excess able.
Hi .. DELETED ..Due to my reply # 13 , Errantly stating our moderator Mr. BH with any Legal intent .

He had spelled this out quit clearly , and i missed that part of his reply .. I Apologize for any Misconceptions ,
regarding Any 'Legalities Expressed or Implied' by me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have a current Florida concealed carry permit and I am a resident of the state of Florida.
I understand, this is probably not the best weekend to ask. This weekend should be more of a time to reflect on those that have given us the blanket of freedom.
I will monitor this post and continue to research the states I will be going through.
Thanks to all

·
Super Moderator
6,210 Posts
With a permit, you can legally carry in all the states you will be driving through. I’ve made this trip several times myself. The one state I would caution you on is South Carolina.

Unless they changed the laws there in the last few years, you are required to notify law enforcement that you’re carrying if you are pulled over.

Depending on your route that may not be an issue.

I use Handgunlaw.us when I travel.

Reactions: brownie

·
Super Moderator
29,712 Posts
No.

I do have a current Florida concealed carry permit and I am a resident of the state of Florida.
I understand, this is probably not the best weekend to ask. This weekend should be more of a time to reflect on those that have given us the blanket of freedom.
I will monitor this post and continue to research the states I will be going through.
Thanks to all
First, I am not a lawyer. Since you have a Florida CWFL and are a Resident of the State of Florida, your CWFL us accepted for every state you're traveling through all the way to and including Ohio in accordance with the laws of each state. The Florida Residency question is important because South Carolina does not accept carry permits from states in which the holder is not a resident. [When I still worked and resided in the DPRofMD, I would have to remove my EDC from my person and place it in the center console, glovebox, etc. until I crossed into Georgia on the way south or North Carolina on the way north to remain in compliance with South Carolina law.]

As Edgehill states, you have a duty to inform a SC law enforcement officer on any official encounter (such as a traffic stop) that you are carrying. There are other aspects of carrying that you have to know for each state you're traveling in or to, such as prohibited places, do signs have the weight of law, etc. and for those questions I use handgunlaw.us, including printing out a copy for each state I'm traveling through or to so I have the reference available later if I need to refresh my memory of a particular state's statutes. Study well. I also use the 50 State CCW app, which you can download from the iPhone and Google app stores and subscribe to (at last check one subscription (<$5) covers all your electronic devices), but I always bounce those two resources against each other to have confidence I have current and correct information (remember, neither resource is going to represent you in court).

Study well and good luck! 🤠

·
Registered
20,764 Posts
regarding SC and duty to inform...are you required to inform only if you are carrying concealed or if you have a firearm present in the vehicle...loaded or unloaded?...

·
Super Moderator
6,210 Posts
regarding SC and duty to inform...are you required to inform only if you are carrying concealed or if you have a firearm present in the vehicle...loaded or unloaded?...
I don’t know the answer to that. All of the websites I’ve read about it are just talking about if you are concealed carry not if it’s in a locked box in the back.

Also to the OP, if you don’t want to carry, put the gun and the ammo in separate closed containers in the luggage area at the back as far away from the driver and from my non lawyer understanding, you should be fine.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ohio recognizes licenses from all states, so you are good while carrying here. We are must inform if you have an official encounter with law enforcement while carrying concealed. Also, gunbuster signs, though seldom seen, do have the force of law here.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Summary
Ohio is a traditional open carry state. Recently, the Ohio legislature passed HB-12 over Governor Taft’s veto, thus preempting all local open carry bans even in Ohio’s “home rule” localities. Unfortunately, despite passage of HB-12, a permit to conceal is still required to openly carry a handgun in a vehicle.

www dot opencarry dot org is the reference here.

As I travel from SW Florida to the Cleveland, Ohio area for family, I have no problems with any state along the way. The CWFL covers all the intermediate states.

And yes, I do open carry in Ohio without any problems. Even in the snooty Fairview Park suburbs.

AD

Reactions: bladenbullet

·
Super Moderator
29,712 Posts
I don’t know the answer to that. All of the websites I’ve read about it are just talking about if you are concealed carry not if it’s in a locked box in the back.

Also to the OP, if you don’t want to carry, put the gun and the ammo in separate closed containers in the luggage area at the back as far away from the driver and from my non lawyer understanding, you should be fine.
Again, I am not a lawyer, but in reply to Bladenbullet's specific question, here's the applicable South Carolina Statute SECTION 23-31-215(K):
(K) A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer:

(1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer; and

(2) requests identification or a driver's license from a permit holder.

A permit holder immediately must report the loss or theft of a permit identification card to SLED headquarters. A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined twenty-five dollars.
So for me, the statute addresses a "duty to inform" [an LEO] when the LEO identifies him/herself as a Law Enforcement Officer and requests your identification or driver's license AND you are carrying a concealed weapon "on your person." Section 23-31-215(K) makes no mention of carrying a loaded or unloaded firearm elsewhere in the vehicle not on your person, locked or unlocked. However, I suppose that your previously concealed handgun (and therefore "concealable"), now placed in a closed compartment elsewhere in the vehicle not on your person, a situation I had not previously considered is this; I wonder if an over-zealous LEO or SA might argue that the the weapon is still "concealable" and the "Duty to Inform an LEO" still attaches. :unsure: So if one is concerned about SC Firearms law, then the one might gain more confidence by seeking the advice of legal counsel competent in South Carolina firearms law, who can also inform you of SC case law and Jury Instructions to render their professional legal opinion, which this post is obviously not! 🤠

Remember, in many, if not most states their Concealed Carry laws/permits are an "affirmative defense" against unlawful carry of a weapon on your person, meaning that if the LEO feels you violated the law, he/she can arrest you and let the courts sort it out. If that happened to me, then I would comply with the arresting LEO, have my day in court, and hopefully beat the misdemeanor charge and $25 fine.

I personally do not believe that such an arrest to be likely; if one is carrying a "concealable" weapon elsewhere in the vehicle NOT on one's person, in my humble opinion, that does not seem to meet the letter of the Section 23-31-215(K) requiring one to inform the LEO of the presence of the weapon in the vehicle but not concealed on my person. I can say that I had already previously decided that 1) whenever I was traversing SC as a Florida CWFL holder 2) when I was not a resident of Florida and 3) had removed my EDC off my person such that I was no longer carrying concealed on my person, I did not feel I had a duty to inform an LEO that had otherwise met the requirements of 23-31-215(K)(1)and(2). Your mileage may vary!

Reactions: bladenbullet

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Thanks to all
Hi .. *DELETED Plus ALL the Small Print shown on the top of reply # 14 .. I tried to also delete that , but couldn't . My Bad for using " Legality " on MY reply.

In essence I am Totally Deleting Anything that i have Replied to relating to the OP's question . Thank You .

·
Super Moderator
29,712 Posts
Hi there .. As i just got online, you can now see what this posting covers . Many members have their inputs on legality . IMHO to encapsulate a lot of the ones submitted , i would use common sense to dictate your actions on the trip .

I would treat your situation(s) as if your 'weren't sure' what the laws may be . Err on the side of caution and you'll be just fine . If ever pulled over , inform the Leo's you have one on board asap . . Also do not resist when questioned at any rate . The main thing is to have them separated from each other and secured . This is My Opinion , but i think it's the safest position for you to take . This is more applicable while you are driving .

As above BH has given you his legal advice in Depth ;)
Negative, Gunner! I'm sure you didn't mean to say so and please there is no need for apologies! I am not angry in the least but similar to the very important caveat I stated in my previous posts, I AM NOT A LAWYER, NOT QUALIFIED to give LEGAL ADVICE, and did no such thing! If I had that could be construed as me practicing law without at license. Instead, I merely posted a couple of references (handgunlaw.us and the CCW 50 State app), pointed to the applicable statutes for the SC question, and then offered my thoughts on how I personally approach the statutes for me and me only.

Reactions: 196THL.I.B.GUNNER

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Negative, Gunner! I'm sure you didn't mean to say so and please there is no need for apologies! I am not angry in the least but similar to the very important caveat I stated in my previous posts, I AM NOT A LAWYER, NOT QUALIFIED to give LEGAL ADVICE, and did no such thing! If I had that could be construed as me practicing law without at license. Instead, I merely posted a couple of references (handgunlaw.us and the CCW 50 State app), pointed to the applicable statutes for the SC question, and then offered my thoughts on how I personally approach the statutes for me and me only.
BH .. Ok , i will delete my replies # 4 & 13 .. There were No "Legalities Expressed or implied" by me , or Mistakenly paraphrased by Me . My Humble Apology .

·
Super Moderator
29,712 Posts
BH .. Ok , i will delete my replies # 4 & 13 .. There were No "Legalities Expressed or implied" by me , or Mistakenly paraphrased by Me . My Humble Apology .
Again, no apology required, but it is important that everyone understands that none of my postings on FCC constitute "legal advice."

Reactions: 196THL.I.B.GUNNER

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Again, no apology required, but it is important that everyone understands that none of my postings on FCC constitute "legal advice."
BH .. IF anyone doesn't understand that statement , they shouldn't be on here . IF i don't understand this by now , I don't belong on this site either . My Bad

P.S. - Try to have a decent Memorial Day

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Although I've not had the opportunity (yet), I have thought about it in advance.
I believe that if I were pulled over while carrying, I would inform the officer (whether obligated to or not) - most likely by handing them my DL & CCW at the same time.
Of course, that assumes I would not be driving in a State that prohibited concealed carry, or one that did not reciprocate with a Florida license.
Which, I wouldn't knowingly do.

Note: Unless I'm knowingly driving in (or into) a prohibited location, I'm carrying - IWB @ 4:00.
And unless I'm going out to the range, I'm not likely to have any additional guns with me (other than my carry).
As a practical matter, I get to avoid all that "securely stored" language because I have a Florida CCW and my rifles / range guns are always securely stored, even in transit.
I like them that way. :)

I do get the whole "concealed is concealed" thing.
But I will opt for the professional courtesy to LEO - and if I ever had to explain it to a Judge (highly unlikely), I can drag out this post to evidence my reasons. :)
(Some metro) LEO's have a hard enough job as it is. I just don't see a need to be a dick about it. (Rightly or wrongly, they can always pull you out of the car and discover for themselves.)
I think the chances of some horrible outcome as a result of disclosure are so tiny, as to favor just being upfront with LEO, and very likely eliminating (or very nearly so) the possibility of an ugly outcome with a potentially untrained trigger-happy or anxious officer. (Note: I've never met one, but surely there are some out there.)

The topic has been discussed here ad-nauseam, but the above is what I've settled on. YMMV.
Better to think these things out in advance. And, for better or worse, that's my take on it.

But the general thrust of this thread is spot-on, unfortunately.
Until the Supreme Court weighs in and fixes this nation's hodgepodge of "carry-across-state lines" firearm laws, we're stuck with this situation.
With enough restrictions, carrying across state lines becomes so complex and impractical as to be impossible.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
There was a time with a home state and a few out of state non resident conceal carry licenses a person could almost go to thu any state legally. Now so many states have either no non resident licenses or many states will not recognize one for allowing out of state owners to use it in their state.

·
Registered
55,202 Posts
Your fla ccw is good through all those states and Ohio. Click the link and then click on Florida, it will give you all the states that honor the Fla permit to carry

1 - 20 of 21 Posts