Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,889 Posts
Once the primer has been struck and a hangfire has been ruled out, there's no longer any additional danger that I'm aware of. :unsure:

·
Registered
15,291 Posts
I'd try it in another gun if possible first, but I've pulled bullets with live primers before

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Pulled bullets from live rounds, and hang fires. If you are really concerned, just toss it out.

Reactions: 196THL.I.B.GUNNER

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I have pulled lots of bullets over the years. As I have gotten older, I have gotten more cautious with my reloading activates. I know components have gotten expensive lately, but unless you have an exotic round that is hard to find and expensive, I might give it a rap or two but no get carried away with the pounding. Eye protection and gloves are in order. That's just my two cents worth.

Reactions: AFJuvat

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
I‘ve pulled many hundreds of bullets from loaded cartridges without issue.

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
Once the primer has been struck and a hangfire has been ruled out, there's no longer any additional danger that I'm aware of. :unsure:
this

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
And of course y’all know they have no impact collet pullers. If worried about the case and not the bullet (and the cartridge is long enough) you can remove the die, run the cartridge up unto the press, grab ahold of the bullet with something like Vice-grips, and lower the cartridge to pull the bullet.

·
Super Moderator
10,783 Posts
I've had a round fire the second time that I tried it, so I wouldn't rule out any danger. On the other hand, I've pulled plenty of bullets from live and "dud" rounds with no problems.

·
Super Moderator
29,889 Posts
I've had a round fire the second time that I tried it, so I wouldn't rule out any danger. On the other hand, I've pulled plenty of bullets from live and "dud" rounds with no problems.
Sure a second primer strike by a firing pin can often fire the round, but the danger from properly using a bullet puller is nil once a hangfire has been ruled out. A proper bullet puller protects the primer form being struck.

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
After 48 hours perhaps, but why bother to take any chance at all?
I totally agree Mr Brownie .. It only takes [ 1 ] even after hundreds to thousands , IMHO . Is it really worth your eyesight or worse .. safety glasses do nothing to protect your throat ..Just ask Brownie about throat vulnerabilities - Even small ones

I have on hand a small plastic pill container . Its filled with common motor oil , it then becomes 'Inert City' .. I've seen too many of these things go the wrong way ..

I even knew a guy that used a hammer on the primers . That is also total insanity .. I guess it all depends on what you may have experienced related to this . :unsure:

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
The most bullets I’ve pulled at one time was 500. One at a time, with an inertia bullet puller. Two days after I’d loaded them.
Old batteries in a digital scale caused me to have loads that that were over a maximum charge, so they all got pulled and reloaded, after new batteries in the digital, and that double checked with an old Lyman balance-beam scale.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
The most bullets I’ve pulled at one time was 500. One at a time, with an inertia bullet puller. Two days after I’d loaded them.
Old batteries in a digital scale caused me to have loads that that were over a maximum charge, so they all got pulled and reloaded, after new batteries in the digital, and that double checked with an old Lyman balance-beam scale.
That is one load of bullets to pull , no less [ 500 ] ..I've had inert , 'no primers' installed at all , and they were so damn tight i actually broke my bullet puller that snapped in half .. It would not work on my rug over a concrete slab .

So out into the garage on bare slab , and that's when it snapped ..Once loose , they were crimped so tight , i could not reuse any of them ,or trust them . I never had a digital scale for powder throws , just my RCBS balance scale .

When loading up , i recheck that scale bout every [ 10 ] rounds . This was just my experience back when & thankfully i didn't have too many to remove .. If my memory serves me , they were thin copper clad over lead . Probably why then.

Reactions: Rick McC.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts