Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to share a few thoughts on holsters with my recent experience.

DM Bullard is a holster maker out of Texas. I’ve used their holsters for a long time. They make one called the “bodyguard“ which I have found to be excellent for an outside waistband holster. It has about a 20 to 25° forward cant which I find perfect for carrying a 1911. It’s also very fast for a draw but, as the holster gets older, it still works fine but it is a little more difficult to re-holster. I’ve seen a lot of people during training classes doing a fast draw and then a fast re-holster which is unsafe. I’ve used them for almost 20 years. Bullard also makes an IWB holster which is very solid, it has two belt clips which makes it nicer for a heavier pistol.

Urban carry makes several different holsters. They make that silly set up that looks like you have a sunglasses case on your belt and then you yank it up exposing a pistol that was hanging down in your underwear. They also make and IWB holster. It’s a two piece set up with the inside waistband piece which is nicely padded and the actual holster is attached by Velcro and snaps. That way you only need to buy one mounting mechanism and you can buy different “holsters“. Next, they make something called “ lock-leather” and it’s an outside waistband holster with a little plastic Doohickey that catches the leading edge of the trigger guard. They advertise that a lot on the Internet where they show the pistol being turned upside down in the holster.

I have all of the above urban carry models. The sunglasses model lives in the dead holster drawer. I use their IWB model on occasion for different pistols, not often. It’s a little difficult to clip in the proper position but it’s comfortable once you set it up right. I recently bought the lock leather model for the Sig P365 XL. I found that the locking device was so tight I almost pulled my pants up around my neck trying to jerk out the pistol. I finally loosened it as loose as it would go and it works now. The other thing I found is that the finish on the leather is such that it leaves a non-permanent effect sort of dulling the finish on the gun.

1791 holsters out of Miami. I’m impressed with these holsters, I think the finish on the leather has more of a waxy appearance. They also make holsters that fit several different pistols as opposed to only a one off model. I’ve used their holsters on a Glock 48, a USP compact .357 Sig and others. They took a little break in and afterwrds they were great and are especially easy to re-holster because they are made with sufficient boning to keep the mouth of the holster open making for a fluid re-holster.They are much easier for re-holstering as compared to the Bullard.

I have several of the Alien holsters and they live in the dead holster drawer with their friends.

Panther… I have a great number of panthers and I use them almost exclusively for inside the waistband. I have a smaller waist and I find these guys work superbly at about 4 o’clock. I only have one or two of the outside waistband holster‘s and may use them at the range but not for concealed carry. I think they are a great value and a well constructed holster with superb customer service.

I have a Milt Sparks summer special which is very nice for a 1911. After I had the Truglo TFX sights put on a couple of 1911s I found that they couldn’t live in a leather holster anymore because the sights were a little tall and dragged out a little piece of leather every time you would draw. It would also slow you down considerably.

I have a few garden-variety Galco holsters, outside waistband. They do their job, have a reasonable forward cant and an open bottom. The open bottom is important so you can use, as an example,The same holster for a 3 inch, 4 inch and 5 inch 1911. I have found the Galco to be a little expensive for what you get. The exception is the Galco ankle glove ankle holster which I think is superb and attaches with a nice piece of Velcro. It has a sheepskin liner which makes it comfortable for all day wear. It’s night and day to compare it to the cheap lace up ankle holster I carried my back up in as a cop. I was dancing the “CanCan” once and my Chiefs special came loose and flew about 50 feet across the floor with the el-cheapo. Very embarrassing as I crawled around like a centipede trying to grab the pistol.

The dead holster drawer is really full these days. I tried to hit the high points of some of my favorites to perhaps save some from the financial cost of my errant-buying.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
I am very happy with my 1791 holsters, I have a IWB that I carry at 4:00, and a OWB for my 1911s.

Just my personal preference, but I do not care for kydex holsters.

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
My dead holster drawer isn’t terribly full. But, there’s a few in there.

Worth mentioning...I tried an Alien Gear IWB for awhile. One of those hybrid type, kydex shell with a massive leather back that goes against the hip. Just never got the hype. Damn thing felt like I had a Gutenberg Bible in my britches all the time. In the drawer it went.

So far for me, I’ve got a Little Bear I wear OWB that works for me. Holds tight to the hip, even for a portly fellow like me, and secure.

Ive found I just like leather. Although a Panther is on my short list one day.

Thanks for the informative post Shark. I enjoyed reading!

Ive got a new acquisition that’s going to be my EDC eventually. I’ll need a new holster. So this is a subject of interest to me.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I keep it simple, I have one kydex from Panther and one leather from Little Bear , no need to look elsewhere and complicate the issue.

Reactions: Anduril and RadTek

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Great post Shark! I have a few in the dead drawer as well. I’ve come to like leather for IWB and kydex for OWB. With that said, I’m breaking in a new 1791 IWB holster (thanks to to afjuvat for the recommendation) for my new edc. I’ve had it for a while now but, it’s still breaking in. I’ll post my review of it at a later date when I’m done testing it.

Little Bear makes great leather and very smooth to draw. The thing is, I don’t think he’s Little Bear anymore...?....... Pirate gave me another company name that he goes by but it eludes me now. Does anyone know anything about this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
27,122 Posts
Great post Shark! I have a few in the dead drawer as well. I’ve come to like leather for IWB and kydex for OWB. With that said, I’m breaking in a new 1791 IWB holster (thanks to to afjuvat for the recommendation) for my new edc. I’ve had it for a while now but, it’s still breaking in. I’ll post my review of it at a later date when I’m done testing it.

Little Bear makes great leather and very smooth to draw. The thing is, I don’t think he’s Little Bear anymore...?....... Pirate gave me another company name that he goes by but it eludes me now. Does anyone know anything about this?

Agree that was a great post, Shark! I too have two Alien Gear IWB holsters in my dead holster drawer. The kydex IWB Panthers I have work great, and the four OWB Panthers are awesomely fast, while having great retention and conceal extremely well. Still, I wanted to try leather IWB for a couple of my 1911s and was looking for a Little Bear a few months ago, based on previous recommendations. However, looking for his website to finally place my order and couldn't find it. The bookmarks I had no longer worked and apparently, it's no longer "Little Bear." Glad to know he might still be in business under a new name. Just need to find out what it is! :unsure:

·
Registered
2,292 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,122 Posts

·
Registered
8,037 Posts
I use Panther for OWB and Brommeland Gunleather Max Con-V models for IWB. I also have Warbird and Wilson for pretty leather that gets used some, plus a few others that get used on occasion.

They only ones I have that I won’t use anymore are some of Galcos POS, and a couple of other oddballs.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Just ordered from Ronin aka Little Bear, thanks for the link. I will compare it to the 1791 once it arrives and is broken in.

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
Just ordered from Ronin aka Little Bear, thanks for the link. I will compare it to the 1791 once it arrives and is broken in.

Ive got his Hastae IWB/OWB for my Sig P250 40 full size and I love it. Can be worn either IWB or OWB. I think I’ve tried it IWB but I wear it exclusively OWB. Solid quality leatherwork IMHO. It’s held up well to my abuse. I typically wear it around 4 o’clock and it’s got a pretty decent forward cant. Great draw and never collapses or catches reholstering.

That said, ever one I’ve known to have any of his Holsters has been very happy w/them.

Dave used to be a Florida fella. And IIRC was a member here at one time. As I say I have a new acquisition I need a holster for. Unfortunately no one seems to have a blue gun blank for it. So, the places I want to order one from can’t make a holster formed to it.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Ronin (formerly Little Bear) just a happy custome relaying his own experience. Although I am available for a paid endorsement gig if needed. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
I have 1 Panther IWB that I got in a trade that I wear to doctors appointments because it's easy to take off and leave in truck. My old holster box is 1/2 full, The holster that wins for me is the hybrid- saddle from Andrews custom leather it's a high riding steel re-inforced OWB I have 2 - glock 21SF and S&W 1911 they only fit one gun each and that makes them the winner. For me holsters that fit more than one gun live in the box. Good luck holster shoppers learn from my mistakes !

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Ive got his Hastae IWB/OWB for my Sig P250 40 full size and I love it. Can be worn either IWB or OWB. I think I’ve tried it IWB but I wear it exclusively OWB. Solid quality leatherwork IMHO. It’s held up well to my abuse. I typically wear it around 4 o’clock and it’s got a pretty decent forward cant. Great draw and never collapses or catches reholstering.

That said, ever one I’ve known to have any of his Holsters has been very happy w/them.

Dave used to be a Florida fella. And IIRC was a member here at one time. As I say I have a new acquisition I need a holster for. Unfortunately no one seems to have a blue gun blank for it. So, the places I want to order one from can’t make a holster formed to it.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Ronin (formerly Little Bear) just a happy custome relaying his own experience. Although I am available for a paid endorsement gig if needed. :ROFLMAO:
Totally agree, I have two of Dave’s holsters for the little lady’s Shield (formally mine). The first one I like better than the second one. It’s a basic IWB appendix black cowhide that I used to wear at 4 o’clock. The second one is a little fancier with two colors of leather and fancy stitching...... it does not draw as smoothly as the basic one. Still a nice holster.

Reactions: RadTek

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I have a IWB Little Bear 🐻 n Horse Hide for my G27. Awesome holster, I have drenched it in sweat repeatedly for a few years now & it has the same retention as when I broke it in. Stitching is still perfect, screws never mess up, doesn’t stain clothes, just awesome. My first choice for leather is Dave, we spoke several times while he was building my holster, he truly cares about his product & customers.

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
I have a IWB Little Bear 🐻 n Horse Hide for my G27. Awesome holster, I have drenched it in sweat repeatedly for a few years now & it has the same retention as when I broke it in. Stitching is still perfect, screws never mess up, doesn’t stain clothes, just awesome. My first choice for leather is Dave, we spoke several times while he was building my holster, he truly cares about his product & customers.
Agreed. For leather, my choice is Dave.

I do want to experiment with another kydex or two. I wish panther had a mold for my 227. I have my dad’s Glock G21. I think I could nab one for it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts