Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may recall that I broke the trigger on my LCP. (Trigger broke September 29, mailed it back to Ruger on September 30, they received it on October 1)

I called yesterday to check on the status. They called me back today and here is how the conversation went:

MB: I was calling to check on the status of my gun. You received it for repair on October 1.

(getting all my info)

R: We mailed that out to you on October 16.

MB: The 16th? Shouldn't I have received that by now?

R: Let me confirm the address. [she gives me an address I've never heard of]

MB: No, that is not my address. May I ask what state you shipped my gun to?

R: Georgia

MB: I live in Florida. Does that mean you just shipped my gun to someone who lives in Georgia?

R: Hold on, I need to check something. What serial number do you have for your gun?

MB: [I read off the serial number that Ruger gave me on the shipping label.]

R: Hang on a minute while I check. No, that is not the right serial number.

MB: That is the number that I printed off from the computer from my shipping information. That is the number you gave me.

R: Hold on again. [comes back and asks me if I'm sure about the serial number]

MB: Let me go check my original paperwork. [looks at my paperwork] It would appear that the number on my original paperwork does not match the number you gave me on the return shipping label.

[she then confirms the gun she is holding in her hand is my gun according to the serial number I just gave her] She then says something about someone must have had a typo on my paperwork but everything is ok now.

[me, thinking negative thoughts about Ruger] NO, everything is NOT ok. You just told me you shipped my gun to Georgia and then you have the wrong serial number on my paperwork! What is wrong with your quality control? Do you people not pay attention to detail? Do you not know that messing up a serial number on a gun could get me in deep doo-doo if it falls in the wrong hands? Do you know that you are talking to Miss Spot-a-Typo who has already caught a typo on your instruction manual and I'm quickly losing confidence in Ruger?

But instead I am calm and reply:

MB: So if you are still holding my gun when does that mean I will get it?

R: Early next week, maybe. It may take a few days longer depending on what they need to repair or replace.

MB: [thinking mean thoughts but speaking in my nice voice] Thank you. I guess I will just have to wait a bit longer.

I have to say that if I were running Ruger heads would fly in the quality control department. It would be inexcusable for there to be a typo on a serial number. Yes, I know humans make mistakes but there is still no excuse for this much to happen to just one customer. I have to wonder about the overall condition of that company. All I know is I would run a tighter ship if my reputation depended on it. Sometimes your name means more than the bottom line.

And now once again thanks to Ruger I get the whiny-butt award for the day. Honestly, I'm normally a quite balanced and happy person.

MamaBear

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
R: Early next week, maybe. It may take a few days longer depending on what they need to repair or replace.
Are you saying that they have not even looked at your gun as yet? wow :eek:
Any more delays and they should just offer you a new one.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Are you saying that they have not even looked at your gun as yet? wow :eek:
Any more delays and they should just offer you a new one.
+1. I think I would have to call them and say if I don't get it back by..., then you may as well send me a new one because I will never buy a Ruger product again. I also belong to a concealed carry forum and all of my friends know about this issue and have vowed to not buy any more Ruger products. Then, we'll see just how long it takes them to replace it or repair it.

·
Registered
55,472 Posts
Mamabear,

You need to call their customer service number again, ask to speak to a supervisor, do not talk to customer service reps who answer the phone.

Reiterate the conversation you had [ hope you got that persons name ], last with that person, the situation as you understand it, when you shipped the gun, when they received the gun, and why you don't have your gun back at this time [ state how long they've had it ].

If you are not happy with the supervisors answers, call the dealer you bought the gun from, explain the situation and ask them if they have a regional rep assigned to their shop. If they do, request they contact their dealer rep for you and expedite this matter for the dealership as a service to the customer.

I was having problems with a sig pistol and the quality of their work, spoke to a service rep supervisor with not much more success there either. As I work for a dealer, we have a customer rep that services out shop. The boss gave me his personal number and I called him and explained the situation [ poor customer service and all ]. My situation was expedited that day and I had the gun in my hands within 24 hours, fully fixed with a new set of thin grips thrown in gratis as an apology. Service reps for dealers can make things happen very quickly.

Brownie

·
Super Moderator
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your words of wisdom. I'm still sort of sour about the whole situation. I do believe I will call my gun shop tomorrow and speak to Rob. He always remembers my name when I walk in the door and makes it a point to holler out at me. It's sort of embarrassing because everyone (usually all men) turns around to see who he is speaking to. But on the other hand it's kind of funny seeing the looks on their faces when they realize I'm just a nobody girl in a gun store.

Anyway, I will get on this tomorrow and give you all a report. Maybe I'm not whining after all but have a legitimate case here.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
I have to say that if I were running Ruger heads would fly in the quality control department. It would be inexcusable for there to be a typo on a serial number. Yes, I know humans make mistakes but there is still no excuse for this much to happen to just one customer. I have to wonder about the overall condition of that company. All I know is I would run a tighter ship if my reputation depended on it. Sometimes your name means more than the bottom line.
MamaBear
MamaBear,

Have you considered taking this matter up to a higher level at Ruger?

I own my own business, and if you had documentation to back up your claim about the quality of customer service and I owned Ruger, I would want to be made aware, so I could correct the situation to your satisfaction.

A lot of my business is referral. The last thing I want or need is an un-satisfied customer.

Maybe a letter to Ruger, Inc. might also get your firearm returned "expedited".

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
Wow...between the delays in obtaining your CHL, the broken trigger and now the QC issues with Ruger, it almost seems like somebody doesn't want you carrying a gun. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, that *somebody* can't keep me from carrying at home so I dragged out my husband's Walther PPS 9mm and am wearing it today, loaded...for bear...just in case.

Just had to have that fix, ya know what I mean?

MamaBear

I'm determined to jump through whatever hoop is put before me. I will get a license and I will carry. Someday. I will carry. I just know it.

·
Super Moderator
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:

I did call my gun shop today and Rob is no longer working there. Darn. I had hoped for a personal contact. I told the guy my first name and explained my situation with the LCP broken trigger and he knew right who I was and even knew my last name. Hmmm, I must have left some kind of impression there.

Anyway, what a great shop. He was extremely helpful and was not too pleased with Ruger's QC and said he would personally call them right away. In just a few minutes he called me back and said that Ruger hadn't even begun my paperwork yet but after his call my gun repairs would be expedited. I should get it next week. That is not any different from what I was told yesterday but now that a gun shop called it might make my case seem a bit more than a complaining customer. He also said something like a letter of apology was in order from Ruger due to all of their errors. We'll see.

My gun shop also was very willing to work with me should I decide to unload the LCP. I would lose money on a consignment sale so I'm still considering what to do. I guess I'll just have to see how my gun preforms after it's been serviced. Did you all say 200 rounds without hiccups?

If anything we have all learned what to do in this type of situation. I do hope the members here are reading my little sob story and will know they can go to their gun shop and ask for them to contact their gun manufacturers should the need arise. I would have never known what to do since I am a new gun owner and haven't tread this path before.

I guess if I just keep laying it all out there for the world to see we all become the wiser.

MamaBear

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Please tell us it's not one of the one's being recalled. PLEASE

AFS

·
Super Moderator
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AirForceShooter,

Here is a cut/paste from another one of my posts. Yes, my LCP is one of the ones being recalled.

ps - while I'm whining I may as well tell you that today is day 100 that I don't have my license yet. If you missed that post I did find out I'm being 'reviewed by a supervisor' so at least I'm back in the system. I believe that letter from the sheriff''s office saying that they can't get better prints may save me. I'm beginning to think this is turning into trying to get blood out of a turnip. If I don't have prints good enough then smashing my fingers into the ink and pressing them onto the paper just isn't going to get a better print.

I think I've gained weight from all the chocolate I've eaten lately to get me through this phase of my licensing process.

MamaBear, aka: Lardo, Hippo, nah - just kidding I'm not a Tanko either

Update:

When the UPS guy drove right by my house I picked up the phone and called Ruger again.

Lisa informed me that they are holding my gun in order to retrofit it for the new part due to the recall. The down side to that is the new part is not even available yet and won't be for another 2-3 weeks.

So they've had my gun for 31 days - add in another 2 to 3 weeks for waiting on a part - add to that the time it takes to repair it, Lisa didn't even mention if they had even repaired the issues that I had sent it in to them in the first place - add to that shipping time to get it back to me.

Sigh. What is that about Murphy's Law?

MamaBear

·
Super Moderator
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, I haven't called since last week when I was told I was being reviewed by a supervisor. To be honest with you I'm afraid to call because I don't know what they will tell me next. It seems that my license 'fate' is in the hands of this reviewer. If the letter from the sheriff's office is sufficient then he/she will just issue the license and I'll eventually get it in the mail.

I'm clean. Honest. I've got nothing in my past that would raise a flag with the FBI. I've been tempted to call my mom and have her insure me that I'm not the illegitimate child of Elvis and that the FBI is trying not to let that info out. The imagination can really run amok with you at times like this. :rolf

MamaBear, maybe aka Teddy Bear, who knows?

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
I argued with a reviewer until I was blue in the face..I also got turned down but for other reasons than yours. What I did was requested a supervisor, then I threatened legal action, then me and the supervisor started working together to get my issues resolved. She actually gave me her direct line and fax line, then gave me the info I needed to get cleared up etc etc..Thru all of this we probably talked once a week for the next 4 months..I didnt get obnoxious which I can do once in awhile but stayed aggressive and insistent that they do their part and I would do mine..in the end, it all worked out but it was hair pulling time there for awhile with a few outbursts of frustration and anger..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts