Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just got my CCW permit, and I have researched the question and I can't find the answer anywhere.

Let's say I wake up and holster my gun in my house. I go about my business during the day carrying concealed.

Then I make a stop and I want to go into the location without my gun, but I don't want to take my holster off me as it's attached to my belt. Can I take the gun off my person in the car? From my understanding, I can leave or have a gun in my car so long as it's encased and not ready for immediate use, but I don't see the rules on when/where you can unholster the weapon. For a few moments after unholstering my gun would not be concealed, not securely encased, and ready for immediate use. Any guidance on how/when to unholster your gun when going into a location you can't/don't want to bring it in to?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
Hello all,

I just got my CCW permit, and I have researched the question and I can't find the answer anywhere.

Let's say I wake up and holster my gun in my house. I go about my business during the day carrying concealed.

Then I make a stop and I want to go into the location without my gun, but I don't want to take my holster off me as it's attached to my belt. Can I take the gun off my person in the car? From my understanding, I can leave or have a gun in my car so long as it's encased and not ready for immediate use, but I don't see the rules on when/where you can unholster the weapon. For a few moments after unholstering my gun would not be concealed, not securely encased, and ready for immediate use. Any guidance on how/when to unholster your gun when going into a location you can't/don't want to bring it in to?

Thanks!
With a license, the 'securely encased' restriction does not apply, and brief exposure of a lawfully concealed firearm is not a crime. If I have to disarm, I do so and just put it in the glove box/console or in the safe under the seat (depending upon which vehicle I'm driving that day).

·
Super Moderator
29,473 Posts
^^^^
Absolute best answer from just about the most knowledgeable person on Florida Statutes on FCC! :thumsup

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a FL CCW and if I am stopping at the Post Office or somewhere that I cannot carry my gun,
I un-holster my gun and place it under my leather attache or whatever else is on my passenger seat. (there's always something there)
Then when I get back into the car I just put it back in my holster.

My thought was to just put it out of sight, do I need to hide it / conceal it better?

Mackie244 / Bud

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
I have a FL CCW and if I am stopping at the Post Office or somewhere that I cannot carry my gun,
I un-holster my gun and place it under my leather attache or whatever else is on my passenger seat. (there's always something there)
Then when I get back into the car I just put it back in my holster.

My thought was to just put it out of sight, do I need to hide it / conceal it better?

Mackie244 / Bud
I hope you don't do this in the post office parking lot!

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Hello all,

Thanks!
The question has been answered above as long as we assume that you are alone in the car. If you have a passenger and the passenger is not licensed per 790.06, the handgun must be stored in accordance with 790.25(5) - securely encased as defined in 790.001.

In addition we must assume that you are not parking on school property as defined by 790.115. Again, in that case you must store the gun per 790.25/790.001 prior to entering upon school property.

And of course storage in accordance with 790.25 does not trump Federal law - e.g. no USPS property, no VA property.

So, in summary. With a license you can carry/store a concealed handgun anyway you want to in your private conveyance as long as you are not on school property and not prohibited by federal law. Don't get your passenger in trouble by storing your firearm in a vehicle that is occupied by a passenger that does not have a FLCWFL if you are not present. If you leave your firearm in your vehicle occupied by a non-licensee, store it per 790.001 securely encased so as to compy with 790.25(5).

Addressing your concern about a momentary exposure, 790.053 addressed that:

It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s.790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.053.html

·
Registered
32 Posts
The longer you carry, the more you will realize that the majority of the time, people just simply don't notice. If you aren't drawing attention to the fact you are unholstering a firearm and making drastic movements in your car, there's not really anything interesting for people to stare at. I typically stow mine in the center console of my truck as it's easier to retrieve when I get back in.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Just a parting thought. You don't want to telegraph to anyone watching that your are leaving anything in your vehicle. I had a gun stolen in an car burglary. I don't know if anyone saw my leave me gun in the car under the front seat, at 0800 in the morning, but I might have not done a good job hiding my furtive movement. In hindsight, I always store the gun before arriving at the parking location. I also store the gun in the trunk if I'm driving my car.

I was out of town, attending a conference at the local college. I was a law abiding citizen and didn't carry the gun, in my brief case, into the conference. I was conscientious enough to not leave the gun in the hotel room. I was smart enough to not go to the big city without my EDC. In the end it cost me my pistol. At the time, I was also upset that it cost me a 15 round mag, at a time that you could not buy 15 round mags.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
No, Never ;)

If I need to unholster I do what others have said here, but I do look around first at who may be watching. If someone looks like they may be paying attention then I wait till their focus is elsewhere.
What he means is that you are prohibited from carrying on the grounds of the post office. No guns inside or outside the post office property. That includes inside the car. But I am not an emoji expert, maybe you know that already.

I am not a lawyer

·
Super Moderator
29,473 Posts
The post office I usually go too is in a strip mall, are there any special rules surrounding that? I do not yet have my CCW but this thread prompted my thinking on this specific situation.
If the USPS office in a [strip] mall is leased by the USPS, then no carry of any weapons inside the store, but the if mall is not owned by the USPS, carry on around the mall. Here's the pertinent portion of federal law:

§ 232.1 Conduct on postal property.
(a)Applicability. This section applies to all real property under the charge and control of the Postal Service, to all tenant agencies, and to all persons entering in or on such property. This section shall be posted and kept posted at a conspicuous place on all such property. This section shall not apply to -

(i) Any portions of real property, owned or leased by the Postal Service, that are leased or subleased by the Postal Service to private tenants for their exclusive use;

(ii) With respect to sections 232.1(h)(1) and 232.1(o), sidewalks along the street frontage of postal property falling within the property lines of the Postal Service that are not physically distinguishable from adjacent municipal or other public sidewalks, and any paved areas adjacent to such sidewalks that are not physically distinguishable from such sidewalks.

(b)Inspection, recording presence.

(1) Purses, briefcases, and other containers brought into, while on, or being removed from the property are subject to inspection. However, items brought directly to a postal facility's customer mailing acceptance area and deposited in the mail are not subject to inspection, except as provided by section 274 of the Administrative Support Manual. A person arrested for violation of this section may be searched incident to that arrest.

(2) Vehicles and their contents brought into, while on, or being removed from restricted nonpublic areas are subject to inspection. A prominently displayed sign shall advise in advance that vehicles and their contents are subject to inspection when entering the restricted nonpublic area, while in the confines of the area, or when leaving the area. Persons entering these areas who object and refuse to consent to the inspection of the vehicle, its contents, or both, may be denied entry; after entering the area without objection, consent shall be implied. A full search of a person and any vehicle driven or occupied by the person may accompany an arrest.
. . .

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
A couple of things;
I keep an old crap holster in my console to store my gun just for safety..to cover the trigger.
Be VERY careful when re-holstering while seated!!!!!!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
So, in summary. With a license you can carry/store a concealed handgun anyway you want to in your private conveyance as long as you are not on school property and not prohibited by federal law.
My friend has his cfwl. When he asked me about carrying his pistol in a leather holster (no snap or other retention device) in the door pocket of his truck I told him I did not think that was legal as it wasn't being carried concealed on his person, nor was it securely encased. Correct or no?

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is how I do it. Safe in the back of my SUV. Went to buy a new gun today with the money my dad who just died gave me for a gun. I parked in the handicap parking spot (I have handicapped plates), unholstered my trusty stub nose and put it in the center console. If I were in a public lot or even at a restaurant, I would go to the back of my SUV, look around and if all clear I would quickly remove my gun and place it in the gun safe.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
My friend has his cfwl. When he asked me about carrying his pistol in a leather holster (no snap or other retention device) in the door pocket of his truck I told him I did not think that was legal as it wasn't being carried concealed on his person, nor was it securely encased. Correct or no?
No

Let us assume that the licencee is alone in the vehicle. Even without a licence, 790.25 allows him to carry his handgun, concealed in the vehicle if it is securely encased per 790.001 and NOT carried on his person.

Now if we add the licence, issued per 790.06,the handgun no longer has to be securely encased, may be concealed on his person, but it must be concealed (except for a brief exposure per 790.053).

There are exceptions to the "must be concealed" part in 790.25 but are beyond the scope of this brief discussion.

If the door pocket of his truck completely conceals the handgun then he is OK.

I'm not commenting on the wisdom of the storage place, only the legality.

If you need links to the specific statute I listed above, let me know.

·
Registered
8,665 Posts
This is how I do it. Safe in the back of my SUV. Went to buy a new gun today with the money my dad who just died gave me for a gun. I parked in the handicap parking spot (I have handicapped plates), unholstered my trusty stub nose and put it in the center console. If I were in a public lot or even at a restaurant, I would go to the back of my SUV, look around and if all clear I would quickly remove my gun and place it in the gun safe.
I’m very sorry to hear of your loss, Vinnie.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Went to buy a new gun today with the money my dad who just died gave me for a gun.
May he rest in peace and my heart goes out to your whole family.

If you have a passenger and the passenger is not licensed per 790.06, the handgun must be stored in accordance with 790.25(5) - securely encased as defined in 790.001.
Excellent tip here :clap

1 - 20 of 20 Posts