Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance if this is a repost in anyway but I have been getting diffent answers from different gun/pawn shops.

I am a new resident <90 days in Florida, but I have a Florida Driver's License and Address And I am a US citizen and have been all my life.

One gun store told me that I would have to until I was a resident for 90 days to apply but that I would also have to wait the 90 days before I could purchase a handgun from them.

Another store said I did not have to wait the 90 days for either of the above. From my reading and from another post I found here I tend to believe that I do not have to wait the 90 days for either, just the mandatory 3 (5 in Broward) to purchase.

If anyone could clarify this for me I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Chapter 790 FS

Taken from the application booklet. Page 1 Question #5 instructions.

If you are not a US citizen, submit documentation issued by USCIS proving you are a permanent legal resident alien who has resided in the state of residence (as shown on your application) for at least 90 consecutive days prior to the date the application is submitted.

USCIS is US Citizenship and Immigration Service.

Chapter 790 eligibility (page 3 of application)

• You must be 21 years of age or older.
  • You must be a US citizen or permament legal alien with documentation
  • You must have received firearms training
  • You must not be ineligible based upon qualifying questions 7-16
  • You must desire a CWL for the purpose of lawful self-defense.

This is the criteria for the CWL. 90-day wait only applies to legal aliens.

I bought a pistol shortly before I received my CWL - waited 3-days. The application asks what state you reside. I don't remember anything about 90-days being mentioned.

·
Registered
62 Posts
90 days

I had to provide personal statements (cable bill) that showed I lived at my address for the last 90 days, but I am a resident not a citizen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks- CWL applied for - Gun purchase not resolved

CWL applied for - let's see how long this really takes :)

Guys, thanks for the info - after rereading ATF form, etc and even speaking with an ATF investigator, the store manager is still trying to say I must show proof of residency as a citizen.

I'll post the ongoing story in another section of the forums.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think the store manager is mistaken. Unless your not a US citizen? I dont think you even have to be a resident of Fl. to buy a gun here?? You have to fill out the 4473 and show proper ID for your bg check.. (And wait the 3-5 days) but as far as showing some proof of being a Fl. resident? I dont think that's anywhere on the form.. Now, I dont think there's a law that says they HAVE to sell though.. May just be a practice that that particular store owner likes to follow.. I which case you'll have to meet his requirements.. Same as some FFL's not accepting shipped guns from private citizens.. Some will only accept from another FFL.. Just the way some like to do biz.. Good luck!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts