Florida Concealed Carry banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
I can understand a family being grieved over the loss of one of their own, but I don’t understand the reluctance to face the fact that the deceased had an opportunity to end it in a civil way but chose not to, and that choice is what caused his demise. Sadly, too many of these stories are played in the media with direct intent to solicit animus between families of dead criminals and law enforcement just for ratings and website clicks with no regard to how it impacts society. It seems nowadays that in a LE shooting there must be some big display of proving their actions 100% correct or it results in weeks of drama in the news.

What if media were to use their investigative skills to dig down into why this kid felt he didn’t have to obey basic traffic laws, why he felt exempt from providing identification and a driver’s license upon being stopped, and maybe what cranial short circuit led him to conclude drawing a weapon on a State Trooper was not going to immerse him in a bucket of sheet he’d never get out of no matter the outcome of his encounter with the trooper? Did he really think he was going to shoot a cop while filmed by dash camera and no one would look into it and come after him? If a reporter were to figure out how and why that happens, that’s a story i’d take the time to read.

I could care less what his background was, whether to that point he’d been Charles Manson or Mother Theresa - because once he pulled that pistol he was in the immediate category of a threat and there is only one way to deal with those, which this trooper demonstrated.

“He should have disarmed him.” Maybe we need a citizen’s disarming force willing to ride along with LEOs and demonstrate how this is done, since that’s not the way LEOs are trained to respond. We need critics willing to die at the driver’s side door to prove their case. If it’s so easy anyone can do it, then anyone should do it and we can gather statistics and measure their success. I’m not holding my breath waiting for that to happen.

One other criticism of coverage in these stories is when they claim “the officer suffered no injuries.” I highly doubt that. No physical injuries, maybe, but he’s not going to be the same ever again, and that’s something often overlooked in these stories.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
As you know, in a life and death encounter, you can die whether the defender or aggressor. I look at it like this. If he was a nice kid, he wouldn't have tried to shoot an leo. Nice kids don't do things like that. Far too many kids today watch what's happening in the news, seeing people attack others, sometimes killing them and either not being arrested or arrested and stupidly liberal courts let em off with a slap on the wrist. Their idea of what's right and wrong has skewered by the social unrest this country is experiencing. Thus, IMO, they are all to be considered as potentially dangerous as any other stereotyped BG

Still would like to hear how he obtained the pistol.
Nice kids don't attempt to evade the police either.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Like Brownie, I did a lot of bad stuff when I was a kid. Stuff I am now very ashamed of, and only very glad that I did not get into a whole lot more trouble over it than I did. Nonetheless, it would NEVER have even entered my mind to try to KILL someone! It would NEVER have even entered my mind to physically resist a police officer doing his/her job. It just would not have!

This kid crossed a line that good people do not cross, and got what he deserved. I wouldn't say that I "enjoy" watching him dying on the street, but I'm certainly not going to shed any tears, either.

·
Registered
9,017 Posts
As I recall; he now carries spare mags with a total reload count well north of 100 rounds of .45 acp, possibly as much as 160 rounds. I can’t recall the exact number any more; it’s been awhile.

He did carry spare mags back then; but I think he was close to running out when he finally made the head shot.
I remember that story. He carries a total of 145

Why one cop carries 145 rounds of ammo on the job

·
Registered
56,683 Posts
Nice kids don't attempt to evade the police either.
That's my point of view. Good kids don't do most of this crazy crap we see errant/bad kids doing regularly in the news today.

He was a good kid. Well maybe he appeared to be a good kid to some people, but maybe he was able to fool some of those folks when he was around them. But the reality is, he obtained a firearm somewhere/from someone, was driving without license and registration, and his true mentality came through when he got stopped for violating one or more laws.

That mentality that they can do anything they want, ignore any laws they want, thinking the consequences won't be that severe if there's any punishment at all. It's a break down of the family unit, it's a break down of society in general.

If he'd flopped around on the ground a little more, it would mean he suffered a little more. But that would be in a perfect world.

·
Super Moderator
31,675 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
You pull a gun on LEO during a "routine" police stop, you die for your stupidity.

As a former LEO, that's a textbook stop right there.

AD

·
Registered
21,531 Posts
i am of the no sympathy crowd also...i have five words...fLIck around and find out...i give the officer kudos for his professionalism and attempt to keep the man alive after the shot...i could only stare into his cold dying eyes and say those five words...

41 - 53 of 53 Posts