Florida Concealed Carry banner
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Well I like the questions even though stuff like Air Marshall quals and the Taylor course is way above my league, there is still a lot to be learned from them. You don't have to be a MLB all-star to just play baseball, but you certainly can learn from how those guys swing their bats.

·
Registered
57,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Well I like the questions even though stuff like Air Marshall quals and the Taylor course is way above my league, there is still a lot to be learned from them. You don't have to be a MLB all-star to just play baseball, but you certainly can learn from how those guys swing their bats.
Those two courses requirements to pass are above mine as well. On my best day I might have passed the air marshal test, but not near close on the Taylor course. But then with just 12 people being granted that status, it would be very difficult for most shooters, even great shooters to pass.

I put that up there as a reference to what some people were being required to pass. Tough courses indeed sir.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Those two courses requirements to pass are above mine as well. On my best day I might have passed the air marshal test, but not near close on the Taylor course. But then with just 12 people being granted that status, it would be very difficult for most shooters, even great shooters to pass.

I put that up there as a reference to what some people were being required to pass. Tough courses indeed sir.
I try to keep my course requirements and training skills as close to things I might actually need in my own life as I can. That's why, for example, I don't invest lots of training/practice time in combat/emergency reloads.

·
Registered
16,490 Posts
14K members, 14 of which responded to this topic. .001% :oops:

I'll keep asking the hard questions anyway. ;)
14k members... and probably a few dozen who even post AT ALL. I'd bet not even 10% (1,400 members) visit the forum on even an semi-regular basis.

Let's say there are 36 regular posters (being generous). So, really... maybe a 38% response rate.

:)

·
Registered
16,490 Posts
Also, to be fair... ranges that allow drawing from holsters are VERY few (none here) and far between. So, it's a challenge to practice those skills with live fire... never mind testing ourselves.

The closest I can come is dry fire simulations at home with my various gizmos. :)

But, I'm looking forward to the "refresher" course next month!

·
Registered
57,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
14k members... and probably a few dozen who even post AT ALL. I'd bet not even 10% (1,400 members) visit the forum on even an semi-regular basis.

Let's say there are 36 regular posters (being generous). So, really... maybe a 38% response rate.

:)
36 regular posters? pitiful at best with 14K members. 418 views on this thread, 14 responders, that's more than pitiful.

Yet there's twice that or more who respond to politics threads like abortion, trump insults desantis etc. Seems more people have something to say about these types of threads than gun related topics, on a gun forum no less. :eek:

·
Registered
57,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Also, to be fair... ranges that allow drawing from holsters are VERY few (none here) and far between. So, it's a challenge to practice those skills with live fire... never mind testing ourselves.

The closest I can come is dry fire simulations at home with my various gizmos. :)

If I couldn't draw and fire at a range, I'd use my airsoft in the back yard. Working on one's draw stroke can be done facing a mirror like the old guard pistoleros such as Bryce and Jordan were doing back in the day.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
36 regular posters? pitiful at best with 14K members. 418 views on this thread, 14 responders, that's more than pitiful.

Yet there's twice that or more who respond to politics threads like abortion, trump insults desantis etc. Seems more people have something to say about these types of threads than gun related topics, on a gun forum no less. :eek:
Yup, the political and off-topic humor stuff garner the most discussion, far and away above all else. The most likes, too, FWIW.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts

I do most of my from-the-holster speed work in front of the mirror with a shot timer, even though I have a range right outside my door. I probably do fifty dry fire draws for every round I actually fire.

·
Registered
16,490 Posts

Oh, I agree about the preponderance of activity on political threads. It seems gun and marksmanship related threads are not nearly as popular.

I'll admit that I have cut back on my guns and shooting posts due to some malcontents and trolls who are incapable of participating without vitriolic criticisms (rather than constructive).

Though, I've put those guys on "ignore." My ignore list went from one member to several recently. Unfortunately, the "ignore" feature on this forum is "one-way." So, it's not really effective beyond just plugging your ears. I can eliminate them from my view, but the ignore feature doesn't prevent them from seeing my posts.

·
Registered
16,490 Posts
If I couldn't draw and fire at a range, I'd use my airsoft in the back yard. Working on one's draw stroke can be done facing a mirror like the old guard pistoleros such as Bryce and Jordan were doing back in the day.
Yep. A lot can be accomplished at home and with dry fire. It ain't the same as practicing live fire. But it's better than nothing.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Oh, I agree about the preponderance of activity on political threads. It seems gun and marksmanship related threads are not nearly as popular.

I'll admit that I have cut back on my guns and shooting posts due to some malcontents and trolls who are incapable of participating without vitriolic criticisms (rather than constructive).

Though, I've put those guys on "ignore." My ignore list went from one member to several recently. Unfortunately, the "ignore" feature on this forum is "one-way." So, it's not really effective beyond just plugging your ears. I can eliminate them from my view, but the ignore feature doesn't prevent them from seeing my posts.
Has your shooting improved significantly from the vitriolic rather than constructive criticisms?

·
Registered
467 Posts
More importantly and certainly more relevant, how far down that list would you be ;)
I cut myself at #7 ;)
That said, I'm not sure where Bill Jordan would place on that rubric.

14K members, 14 of which responded to this topic. .001% :oops:

I'll keep asking the hard questions anyway. ;)
Well, if I did a CDW4ME carry rubric it might level something like this (approximate):
Novice: Doesn't consistently carry when they otherwise could
Apprentice: Consistently carries but carries "less" where they perceive low threat.
Proficient: Consistently carries handgun they would prefer in hand to defend themself - everywhere.
Distinguished: Consistently carries preferred handgun and spare mag or "backup" - everywhere.

On my rubric someone that considers them self an enlightened pistolero with competency beyond advanced is going to be at novice if they aint packing when they could. Handgun skills like Jim Cirillo or Jerry Miculek don't do much good without a handgun.
So, someone that doesn't always carry might look at my rubric and choose not to respond because they would not like being in the "novice" category for not carrying whenever they could.

As applied to the 14 that have responded thus far to this thread, perhaps they looked at the criteria and did not want to respond that they are novice or intermediate, just a guess.

·
Registered
16,490 Posts
I cut myself at #7 ;)
That said, I'm not sure where Bill Jordan would place on that rubric.

Well, if I did a CDW4ME carry rubric it might level something like this (approximate):
Novice: Doesn't consistently carry when they otherwise could
Apprentice: Consistently carries but carries "less" where they perceive low threat.
Proficient: Consistently carries handgun they would prefer in hand to defend themself - everywhere.
Distinguished: Consistently carries preferred handgun and spare mag or "backup" - everywhere.

On my rubric someone that considers them self an enlightened pistolero with competency beyond advanced is going to be at novice if they aint packing when they could. Handgun skills like Jim Cirillo or Jerry Miculek don't do much good without a handgun.
So, someone that doesn't always carry might look at my rubric and choose not to respond because they would not like being in the "novice" category for not carrying whenever they could.

As applied to the 14 that have responded thus far to this thread, perhaps they looked at the criteria and did not want to respond that they are novice or intermediate, just a guess.
Methinks your rubric is to use the word "rubric" as much as possible. :p

·
Super Moderator
6,362 Posts
My problem is I've done all of these things, but I don't feel I'm "Beyond Advanced" as a shooter. I know there are line items that I can perform, but maybe not every time consistently.

·
Registered
57,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
My problem is I've done all of these things, but I don't feel I'm "Beyond Advanced" as a shooter. I know there are line items that I can perform, but maybe not every time consistently.
Yet you CAN perform them, when others don't have the first idea of where to start :giggle:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I’m a better shotgunner and rifleman than handgun guy, but I’d put myself at 9. I mainly carry .45 acp so practice more with that than I do with the .40 or 9.

For those that mainly shoot/carry 9mm, I wonder if you draw and fire with the same ammo as you carry?

It’s one thing timing shots with anemic 115 grain target ammo, another with +P ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
32,599 Posts
I’m a better shotgunner and rifleman than handgun guy, but I’d put myself at 9. I mainly carry .45 acp so practice more with that than I do with the .40 or 9.

For those that mainly shoot/carry 9mm, I wonder if you draw and fire with the same ammo as you carry?

It’s one thing timing shots with anemic 115 grain target ammo, another with +P ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Personally I don't EDC +P ammo. However, my training ammo is of the same projectile weight (147 gr in 9mm or 230 gr in .45 ACP) and as close as I can replicate my EDC ammo's muzzle velocity/energy out of my EDC handguns. 🤠

·
Registered
57,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Personally I don't EDC +P ammo. However, my training ammo is of the same projectile weight (147 gr in 9mm or 230 gr in .45 ACP) and as close as I can replicate my EDC ammo's muzzle velocity/energy out of my EDC handguns. 🤠
I'll not use +P in any handgun load myself. When we tested 6 different loads of 45 and 9mm [ some being +P ], the +P always penetrated less, expanding sooner thereby slowing it down. They usually expanded minimally more but the penetration suffered.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts