Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the near future it is looking like I am going to have to travel through Maryland on my way to Pennsylvania. I am originally from North Carolina and plan on moving back after college so I still have my NC carry permit/ NC drivers license. I will be good to carry through all of the states that I have to travel through except for Maryland.

From my understanding when traveling through Maryland I will have to unload and lock my firearm into a hard side case in the back (bed) of the truck.

Other things that I am unsure of is:
1.Does the ammo have to be separated from the firearm that is locked in the case or can they be in the same case?
2. Are hollow points legal to have while traveling through Maryland. (wanted to make sure its not like NJ)
3.I will be in a pickup truck so my other question is when traveling through Maryland can it be locked in the case in the back seat or does it have to be locked in the bed of the truck(Truck has a locking cover over the bed.)
4. Also if I decide to pack a long gun how does that have to be packed/locked to go through the state of Maryland.

I know of the Peaceable Journey Law but have never fully understood it or how it worked or if there have been any cases that have been won using that. Also I am unsure how it works exactly.

I know this is forum is for Florida but I know there are people from the NE that post on here and others that are more studied in laws of other states than myself. I thank you in advance for the help with this.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
In the near future it is looking like I am going to have to travel through Maryland on my way to Pennsylvania. I am originally from North Carolina and plan on moving back after college so I still have my NC carry permit/ NC drivers license. I will be good to carry through all of the states that I have to travel through except for Maryland.

From my understanding when traveling through Maryland I will have to unload and lock my firearm into a hard side case in the back (bed) of the truck.

Other things that I am unsure of is:
1.Does the ammo have to be separated from the firearm that is locked in the case or can they be in the same case?
2. Are hollow points legal to have while traveling through Maryland. (wanted to make sure its not like NJ)
3.I will be in a pickup truck so my other question is when traveling through Maryland can it be locked in the case in the back seat or does it have to be locked in the bed of the truck(Truck has a locking cover over the bed.)
4. Also if I decide to pack a long gun how does that have to be packed/locked to go through the state of Maryland.

I know of the Peaceable Journey Law but have never fully understood it or how it worked or if there have been any cases that have been won using that. Also I am unsure how it works exactly.

I know this is forum is for Florida but I know there are people from the NE that post on here and others that are more studied in laws of other states than myself. I thank you in advance for the help with this.

Handgun Law.us - Maryland This, hopefully, will answer most of your questions

Which route are you traveling? I'd recommend I-81 all the way up from VA --> West VA---> MD (Haggerstown) --> PA. It offers the least amount of time and driving through MD, and not as much a chance of being observed by MD State troopers. I-95 is probably *not* the best way to go, especially through the Balitmore tunnels. That is where the greatest concentration of LE will be with ALPR cameras, etc.

What do you mean by the "Peacable journey" Law? Perhaps that's what morphed into the "Firearm Owner's Protection Act (FOPA)?"

If your destination in PA is near Philly and you have to go up I-95 instead of I-81, then go via I-495 (Capital Beltway) to US 301/50 East towards the Bay Bridge. Cross over to the Eastern Shore on US 301/50 and go straight up US 301 to Del 1. You'll end up back on I-95 approaching the Del. Memorial Bridge, but you can go straight up to I-495 and into Chester, PA.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Handgun Law.us - Maryland This, hopefully, will answer most of your questions

Which route are you traveling? I'd recommend I-81 all the way up from VA --> West VA---> MD (Haggerstown) --> PA. It offers the least amount of time and driving through MD, and not as much a chance of being observed by MD State troopers. I-95 is probably *not* the best way to go, especially through the Balitmore tunnels. That is where the greatest concentration of LE will be with ALPR cameras, etc.

What do you mean by the "Peacable journey" Law? Perhaps that's what morphed into the "Firearm Owner's Protection Act (FOPA)?"

If your destination in PA is near Philly and you have to go up I-95 instead of I-81, then go via I-495 (Capital Beltway) to US 301/50 East towards the Bay Bridge. Cross over to the Eastern Shore on US 301/50 and go straight up US 301 to Del 1. You'll end up back on I-95 approaching the Del. Memorial Bridge, but you can go straight up to I-495 and into Chester, PA.
My thoughts as well. Not looking at a map at the moment but I see no reason why I would go anywhere near MD.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I did this a few years ago and locked it up per federal transport rules. I don't remember the exact wording but I locked it in one of the suitcases inside the car. We didn't even stop the car. I just handed it to my passenger and she reached back and locked it in the suitcase.

Just make sure you have plenty of fuel etc... so you don't have to stop anywhere in the state.

It could also help if you have some proof of your final destination just in case you do get pulled over.

·
Registered
377 Posts
First, AVOID NY AND NJ
Second, spend as little time in MD as possible. I have the same problem twice a year and I go as far west as I can to limit the amount of time and mileage I spend in MD. I disassemble my gun (and strip the magazines) and store it and the ammo as far away from from me and each other as possible. I also have locking safe boxes that the gun pieces are in. as long as you do that and have a license that is in force for your departure and destination state, you should be safe under the 'firearm owners protection act" FOPA. At least, your lawyer should be able to get you bailed out...

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
It may also help to print out a copy of the FOPA and highlight the relevant parts. Showing the officer and letting him read it for himself may come across as less confrontational than trying to quote the law from memory.

·
Super Moderator
28,818 Posts
Previous posts have answered most questions, particularly FfNJGTFO, who nailed it. Transport your guns in accordance with FOPA and you're fine in MD.

If you're going anywhere near the eastern parts of Pennsylvania, MAKE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you don't make any wrong turns and end up in New Jersey!!!!!!!! All you need is to get pulled over by a NJ LEO for any reason or for someone to hit your vehicle during your brief excursion into NJ before you get turned around and then you're toast if it comes out to the NJ LEO on site that you have firearms in the vehicle! BTW, I believe even BB or pellet guns are considered firearms in NJ! :banghead

Avoid tunnels in/around Baltimore, if you need to transit the eastern part of Maryland, I-695 beltway around Baltimore is fine, or better yet, avoid Baltimore altogether and travel the Bay Bridge route FfNJGTFO listed. If you can stay west and avoid both DC and Baltimore like FfNJGTFO suggested, that's even better.

Yes, HP ammunition is legal in MD. Guns must be unloaded and ammunition stored in separate container from the gun(s).

If your long gun(s) is(are) either 1) a non-HBAR AR-15, 2) an M-1A, or 3) semi-auto AK-47 (all banned for sale or transfer in MD as of 1 Oct 2013), keep them in locked cases and then transport IAW FOPA and you're fine.

Good luck and stay the %^&* out of NJ with any firearms!!!

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Previous posts have answered most questions, particularly FfNJGTFO, who nailed it. Transport your guns in accordance with FOPA and you're fine in MD.

If you're going anywhere near the eastern parts of Pennsylvania, MAKE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you don't make any wrong turns and end up in New Jersey!!!!!!!!

And that's easy to do when you are on I-95 East, approaching the Del. Memorial Bridge. The Del. Turnpike is 6-lanes wide, one way, at that point. You want to be over to the left side and continue onto I-95. Do not go onto the I-295 lanes, as that will take you directly to the Del. Memorial Bridge and right into NJ. Staying on the left side, you can take either I-95 (through Wilmington) or take the I-495 bypass (I recommend this). Either will dump you right at the PA State line on I-95 near Chester.

BTW, I believe even BB or pellet guns are considered firearms in NJ! :banghead
Yes, they are.

Avoid tunnels in/around Baltimore, if you need to transit the eastern part of Maryland, I-695 beltway around Baltimore is fine, or better yet, avoid Baltimore altogether and travel the Bay Bridge route FfNJGTFO listed. If you can stay west and avoid both DC and Baltimore like FfNJGTFO suggested, that's even better.

Yes, HP ammunition is legal in MD. Guns must be unloaded and ammunition stored in separate container from the gun(s).

If your long gun(s) is(are) either 1) a non-HBAR AR-15, 2) an M-1A, or 3) semi-auto AK-47 (all banned for sale or transfer in MD as of 1 Oct 2013), keep them in locked cases and then transport IAW FOPA and you're fine.

Good luck and stay the %^&* out of NJ with any firearms!!!
Absolutely! :thumsup

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you FfNJGTFO, FLhotog, Derrick, doc, and BH. I was refering to Title 19 section 926a. I am headed to York, Pa and had planned to go up I-81 do avoid DC and the larger part of Maryland. Unfortunately to go far enough west to completely go around Maryland it would add an extra 2.5 hours and 100 and some extra miles to the trip.

Again thank you all for the advice. I believe that I will disassemble it as well as locking it up.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Thank you FfNJGTFO, FLhotog, Derrick, doc, and BH. I was refering to Title 19 section 926a. I am headed to York, Pa and had planned to go up I-81 do avoid DC and the larger part of Maryland. Unfortunately to go far enough west to completely go around Maryland it would add an extra 2.5 hours and 100 and some extra miles to the trip.

Again thank you all for the advice. I believe that I will disassemble it as well as locking it up.
You should not have to "disassemble." Just ensure it's unloaded and that both weapon and ammo are in separate enclosures. Put it in the trunk (or back of the SUV) and drive safely. MD should not be an issue, as it's only a 13 mile strip of I-81.

One caution, though... The speed limit changes twice along that 13mile strip. It's 60mph in the middle, and 65mph for 2 miles at each end. This, to match the speed limits of each bordering state (WV & PA).

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was born in and grew up in Maryland. I also lived in Martinsburg,WV for many years.
At this time, I feel I've been exiled. I can never go home again while I'm still alive.WV will be as close as I will ever get to my home state. I can't even visit my parent's graves. I'm so sad about what Maryland has become (The People's Republic of Maryland ).

·
Super Moderator
28,818 Posts
I was born in and grew up in Maryland. I also lived in Martinsburg,WV for many years.
At this time, I feel I've been exiled. I can never go home again while I'm still alive.WV will be as close as I will ever get to my home state. I can't even visit my parent's graves. I'm so sad about what Maryland has become (The People's Republic of Maryland ).
Yup, it sure has changed in the nearly 30 years I've been here. Check my location in the avatar block! :(

Less than a year to go if all goes according to plan. Then it'll be :dancingbanana

1 - 12 of 12 Posts