Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know brownie (and maybe some others) here teach classes but many of us can't afford to take lots of classes.

So I'm wondering how to best get training. Are there any books that are a must read? What about videos on the internet covering defensive firing techniques?

I realize that practice dry firing and shooting on the range are the best way to drill so that things become automatic. But I'm wondering if there are any resources we can utilize then take what we learn to the range or the woods for practice.

Or maybe this is just a bad idea. :smack

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
Seeking knowledge is NEVER a bad idea.

Though I don't think anything beats getting face time with a competent instructor, there are some things you can learn from fellow shooters and watching accomplised folks.

You're just south of Jax. Where do you shoot now? Why not come out and watch one of the IDPA shoots at Gateway Rifle/Pistol. There's a lot of very accomplished pistoleros out there.

I think you can learn good basics from a good video series (Clint Smith's Thunder Ranch DVDs come to mind), but they're not cheap, and by the time you spend money for the DVDs and shipping, you could have taken a class from a live instructor (Randy Cain, Brownie, SwampRat, Jim Clark, etc...). You can practice/build upon what you learn in one class from a good instructor for a lonnnnng time. It's money well spent.

There's a group of guys teaching in Gainesville now that teach a good 1-day basic class (and some advanced classes) for not a ton of money. If I can find the link to their website, I'll post it here for you.

ETA: Found it: Defensive Training Group - Gainesville, FL

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Paladin, I think it all boils down to how much experience you have, how proficient you are and what you are looking to achieve. Are you looking to improve your gun handling skills, your marksmanship, competition training or real world down and dirty street violent combat training and how to come out the other side, alive..Lots of different ways to train and every instructor teaches different disciplines. Group sessions are usually done in a way to teach everyone the basics be it beginner skills or advanced skills..One on One instruction gets a little more detailed and can be tailored to meet specific needs and expectations.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts