Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Aw man.... A very interesting day that culminated in a 1hr session at my local Tax Collector's office.

First, I'm scheduled to take delivery at 2pm on my new Ruger Precision Rifle in .308 Win.... Yay!!!

I arrive at my FFL at 1:15p... a little earlier. I fill out the 4473, and I'm almost done, when he says, "I need to see your CWFL." He's not asked that except for one time when I restarted my buying from him. I give him a puzzled look and he says, "I saw where your CWFL has expired." And I'm thinking, "Can't be... it expires on my birthday this year, as my DL expires on my birthday in 2023...".

WRONG!

I whip out the card, only to discover (to my shock), that it had, in fact, expired on 05/07. Aw crap, I forgot it didn't work like the Driver License! Aw man..... Thankfully, my FFL cut me a break and let me have the weapon. I promised him I'd get it renewed ASAP. Apparently, they do offer a grace period where if you renew within that period, it's the same as if it were renewed prior to expiration. I figured, I'd better get it done quickly...I don't want that "grace period" to expire on me.

Enter my Tax Collector's office! I'd wanted to go to a DOACS regional office, but no chance for that now. I called them at 1:30p today. They said, "better get over here by 4p because we take our last visitor by then. And we're closed tomorrow (Sat) and Monday for Memorial Day!"

My Lyft driver arrived to pick me up early (1:40p) I'd have to drop off the rifle at my house and then get another Lyft ride over to the Tax collector's office. And then it occurred to me... Have the current driver wait while I drop the rifle off at home! And he was willing to do that! He got me home. I put the rifle in the garage and closed the garage door, I hopped back into the Lyft car, and he got me to the Tax collector's office by 2:26p. I check in, and they tell me there's like 4 people ahead of me for the CWFL line, (only one agent doing it) so I may be waiting a bit. They told me where to sit so I'd be ready. As it turns out, I met the guy who was "Q123" in line (I was Q125). And we got to talking. I told him I was pi$$ed that the DOACS never sent me my renewal notice! UGGGGGHHHH!. Well, his number came up and he went inside. So now, I was by myself waiting.... waiting.... waiting... That computer voice that says "Now Serving A101.. at window 3" was beginning to bug me! :mad: .Finally, at 3:10p they called my number. I went in. The check in agent flagged me as a "New Issue" so I was asked for my training docs. I told her I was a renewal.... "Oh, they coded you wrong... No problem." I handed her my DL and expired CWFL (without mentioning it was expired). Apparently, it didn't phase her. When I complained to her that the DOACS never sent me the renewal notice...she did a little checking. Ohhhhh SHEEZ! It seems the DOACS never completely registered my change of address (i.e. elimination of my cancelled PO Box). It went there, instead of my house! And I took great pains to get that changed at the DOACS! :rolleyes:

No matter. She got everything updated, took the photo and I was out the door 20 minutes later (and $58.50 lighter) with a brand spanking new CWFL... with a nice new holographic image of FL. Same #, expiring 05/28/2028..etc... etc. And then I saw it ....

Nicole "Nikki" Fried.... Commissioner....

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I forgot about her! What a way to ruin a nice new CWFL. And I'll have this for 7 years! :mad::poop:

Anyway, my Lyft ride got me home by 4pm. Now I could go and play with my new toy. I texted my FFL with the updated info, and he was appreciative.

Anyway, that's my story for today. I'm still figuring out the RPR. The HG is a little sharp so I figure I'll usually be seated or prone and using a bi-pod with it. Anyway, I've got time to figure it out , now./

Man, what a day!

Super Moderator
Very glad it worked in the end. 馃

Reactions: 196THL.I.B.GUNNER

Registered
Wow, first of all nice rifle. I have one on my bucket list and I鈥檓 thinking in 6.5 Creedmore. But I鈥檝e also considered .308 for ease of ammo I have. What kind of scope are you going to put on the RPR? Interested as I will be getting one this year too.

Ignorance question here. Did you need a CWFL for the rifle? Is there now a waiting period on them without the CWFL? I got mine at 21 so I鈥檝e never bothered to follow up. I just recently picked up a Kel Tec Sub 2000 with G17 mags and it never crossed my mind. I just handed them my DL and CWFL as I always do. :unsure:

Glad that worked out for you. (y)

Registered
Wow, first of all nice rifle. I have one on my bucket list and I鈥檓 thinking in 6.5 Creedmore. But I鈥檝e also considered .308 for ease of ammo I have. What kind of scope are you going to put on the RPR? Interested as I will be getting one this year too.

Ignorance question here. Did you need a CWFL for the rifle? Is there now a waiting period on them without the CWFL? I got mine at 21 so I鈥檝e never bothered to follow up. I just recently picked up a Kel Tec Sub 2000 with G17 mags and it never crossed my mind. I just handed them my DL and CWFL as I always do. :unsure:

I was going to ask the same questions.
I didn't think there was a waiting period for long guns; at least not here in Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade. :unsure:

Congrats on the new RPR.
I mentioned in another thread I have the RPR in .338 Lapua Magnum.
I had been "designing" it in my head for nearly a year before purchase - what scope?, which mounts?, which tripod? (which bullets?), etc...

Isn't that half the fun of it? :)

Registered
I didn't think there was a waiting period for long guns; at least not here in Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade. :unsure:

Congrats on the new RPR.
I had been "designing" it in my head for nearly a year before purchase - what scope?, which mounts?, which tripod? (which bullets?), etc...

Edit: This, from the guy who used that Ruger RPR to hit a 3/8" target at 500 yards at one of bttbbob's classes. :)

Premium Member
Edit: This, from the guy who used that Ruger RPR to hit a 3/8" target at 500 yards at one of bttbbob's classes. :)
Re your edit .. Do you mean that the target was 3/8" thick ? Or that 10x had to be the size of a gnat's butt . That scope must've been a Swarovski or Zeiss that cost around three grand . I'd be lucky to see a 3/8" target at 50 yards . :unsure:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

My Ignorance as well. Apparently, that's why my FFL "cut me that break!"

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats on the new RPR.

.338 Lapua will be my next upgrade.

Super Moderator
His 3/8" target was a 5" or 6" round steel target 500 yards out that had rotated 90 deg after one of its supports had failed on a previous shot. So Anduril hit the 3/8" thick steel target "edge on" and myself, Caleb, Racer and of course, Bob (bttbbob) were all there to witness it! (y)

Registered
Very glad it worked in the end.
This! I wouldn鈥檛 expect that easy of an outcome at my local tax collector鈥檚 office.... they are as helpful as a dog turd on a hot tar road ( quote from riverpig).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
.338 Lapua will be my next upgrade.
FWIW, on my .338 RPR, the release button to collapse the butt-stock is sometimes very hard to press.
I don't know if it's the recoil (seems unlikely), or if it just needs more lubricant (or a larger button design?).
It has been stiff since day-1. Wondering if your 308 has the same issue?

196th: The scope is a Valdada Recon-G2 FFP mil/mil with 40mm rings . (About $3k).
It's an interesting concept: A rock-solid erector prism and Schott glass inside (where it truly counts for accuracy and repeatability), but uses less expensive Japanese ED objective lenses outside, (where it matters a lot less) to cut down the price. I like things bright with good eye relief, so I wanted at least 40mm tube optics (which whittles down the list considerably), and 50mm optics were just too big (for a rifle that is already fairly large and heavy.) It's not for everyone I suppose, but (see comment above) after a year of "mulling" it over, it's what I ended up with. Talk to Bob (bttbbob) if you're in the market, as he also sells some very high quality optics.

Registered
When I bought my last rifle in March of 2020, I needed to show my concealed license in order to take the gun the same day. It seems that there is a new( then) law that has that 3 day wait on rifles also unless you have a concealed carry. license.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FWIW, on my .338 RPR, the release button to collapse the butt-stock is sometimes very hard to press.
I don't know if it's the recoil (seems unlikely), or if it just needs more lubricant (or a larger button design?).
Funny you mention that... I thought the .308 one was just as hard, but I figured out how to position the stock so that it would release OK.

Registered
Congrats on the RPR nice rifle. I am not a fan of the trigger. But they shoot well. Call me if you need a quote on a good optic for it.

Premium Member
His 3/8" target was a 5" or 6" round steel target 500 yards out that had rotated 90 deg after one of its supports had failed on a previous shot. So Anduril hit the 3/8" thick steel target "edge on" and myself, Caleb, Racer and of course, Bob (bttbbob) were all there to witness it! (y)
Holy Smokes !!!!!!!! That guy should've been on the Olympic team ! .. Congrats for a shot More than well made .. Unbelievable .. Even a 5-6" steel plate is a great hit at that distance . Remind me never to piss this guy off at Anything [ lol ] ;)
P.S. - I have loaded .338 Mag's for a LEO in Pa . Damn are they ever powder eaters . Besides that you must have one helluva shoulder my friend :)(y)

Premium Member

196th: The scope is a Valdada Recon-G2 FFP mil/mil with 40mm rings . (About $3k).
It's an interesting concept: A rock-solid erector prism and Schott glass inside (where it truly counts for accuracy and repeatability), but uses less expensive Japanese ED objective lenses outside, (where it matters a lot less) to cut down the price. I like things bright with good eye relief, so I wanted at least 40mm tube optics (which whittles down the list considerably), and 50mm optics were just too big (for a rifle that is already fairly large and heavy.) It's not for everyone I suppose, but (see comment above) after a year of "mulling" it over, it's what I ended up with. Talk to Bob (bttbbob) if you're in the market, as he also sells some very high quality optics.
See my reply # 16 , I figured the scope cost a fortune ! YOU ARE THE MAN !
p.s. - My rotator cuff just cringes at the thought of shouldering that thing . As for the scope $$$ , Way Out of my Pay grade ..Thanks for your reply (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congrats on the RPR nice rifle. I am not a fan of the trigger. But they shoot well. Call me if you need a quote on a good optic for it.
Neither am I. I'm looking at a Timeny Trigger for it. I'll send you a PM in re: my scope requirements.

Super Moderator
Holy Smokes !!!!!!!! That guy should been the Olympic team ! .. Congrats for a shot more than well made .. Unbelievable .. Even a 5-6" steel plate is a great hit at that distance . Remind me never to piss this guy off at Anything [ lol ] ;)
P.S. - I have loaded .338 Mag's for a LEO in Pa . Damn are they ever powder eaters . Besides that you must have one helluva shoulder my friend :)(y)
Well it was a spectacular shot, but don't think we witnessed a second shot! ;)

Reactions: 196THL.I.B.GUNNER

Registered
Well it was a spectacular shot, but don't think we witnessed a second shot! ;)
That is correct!
You do have to know when it's time to pack up for the day.
You know, the weather was moving in and all that... :whistle:

As for the scope, it was a lucky shot. The scope didn't have all that much to do with it, nor even my shooting skills for that matter.
(...which know know, probably aren't even up to Caleb's standards yet - I'd better put that in mouse-print so as not to inflate his ego too much.)
It was the end of the day and I didn't really expect to hit it, but you know, I already had one in the chamber...
The bullet drop alone at 500 yards is roughly 42 inches (but it's still supersonic at 3x that distance, so there's that).
But it's a better story if you leave those little details out.

I recall pulling the trigger about 85 times during bttbbob's class (which lasted about 6 hours or so, including lunch - and well worth it!! Highly recommended).
My shoulder was indeed bruised and sore the next day week (a little), but my understanding of ballistics had improved tremendously thanks to Bob.
Worth it.

The RPR is literally a blast of fun to shoot, but I could not do it every day. (For one thing, the ammo cost.)
I know there are much more powerful platforms out there, but ask anyone, the RPR is a downright thrill to shoot it.
Shitty factory trigger or not, your heart skips a beat every time you pull it. In a good way.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts