Florida Concealed Carry banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· Registered
58,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
What about an AR-style rifle at 3 feet? Like this:
Long gun disarms are easier than taking a pistol from someone as long as the muzzle is as close as I'd make a handgun disarm at the start of the party.

Sweep the muzzle off line, and MOVE INTO them, the long arm is useless. They'll try to gain some distance in an attempt to get the muzzle back onto your person [ don't let them by denying them that distance they need to do so. That's where the H2h training would come into play.

· Administrator
33,045 Posts
Long gun disarms are easier than taking a pistol from someone as long as the muzzle is as close as I'd make a handgun disarm at the start of the party.

Sweep the muzzle off line, and MOVE INTO them, the long arm is useless. They'll try to gain some distance in an attempt to get the muzzle back onto your person [ don't let them by denying them that distance they need to do so. That's where the H2h training would come into play.
Bolded most definitely, but that unarmed security guard came to right decision just soon enough. I also think that AR wielding attempted robber, by firing off-line in attempt to "convince" the guard the gun eas real and loaded, wasn't actually willing to actually use it, at least not at first and gave the security guard enough time to realize his only option was to go hands-on. :unsure:

Reactions: brownie

· Registered
58,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Threatened with a gun at 3 feet? I'm going to be able to get the muzzle off my body 100% of the time. From there it may be a gun grab [ at the same time or a gun disarm ] or sweep the muzzle off my body and move into them so they can't get the gun back on my person.

What I'm not going to do is hesitate. The second that muzzle presents, I'm moving on them. The mentality was drilled into us at SIONICS that every second that goes by with the muzzle on your person, you're theoretically dead. Nah, you present at that range, you're going to end up on the wrong end of the stick.

· Registered
17,046 Posts
Threatened with a gun at 3 feet? I'm going to be able to get the muzzle off my body 100% of the time. From there it may be a gun grab [ at the same time or a gun disarm ] or sweep the muzzle off my body and move into them so they can't get the gun back on my person.

What I'm not going to do is hesitate. The second that muzzle presents, I'm moving on them. The mentality was drilled into us at SIONICS that every second that goes by with the muzzle on your person, you're theoretically dead. Nah, you present at that range, you're going to end up on the wrong end of the stick.
I experienced that personally (and painfully) during a lunch demonstration! 🥴

· Registered
58,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I experienced that personally (and painfully) during a lunch demonstration! 🥴
You were likely this close > < to having your wrist broken. I went easy to avoid that possibility. ;)

· Registered
17,046 Posts
You were likely this close > < to having your wrist broken. I went easy to avoid that possibility. ;)
Tell me about it! LOL! I felt it!

That's what I get for bringing the SIRT laser pistol to class for show 'n' tell!

· Registered
21,781 Posts
i am fortunate that my vocation requires heightened hand to eye coordination, quick thinking and fast, accurate hands in reaction to different situations...unless i see a reason to wait or step back, my responses are usually instantaneous, without hesitation, whether it be to protect myself or correct something going wrong before it gets out of hand...i have no problem pushing myself into a situation for a desirable outcome...that doesnt mean it always works, and i have the scars to prove it...but it is a part of me that has become automatic...

· Registered
10,717 Posts
I am sure you can believe what you think you will do but it is not always so easy to do without the proper ""TRAINING"" and much """PRACTICE'''.
Brownie can probably take the gun and beat the thug with it but how many of use have that ability ?
I don't think a whole lot of us that were not trained by someone like Brownie could do it.
Anyone can think about what they would do, But that does not mean you will be able to do it.
I do love these scenarios and I do like the way they get you thinking about what you would like to do, But when things happen, they are unexpected and happen in a flash.
My answer in #17 was spot on and with a (((MORE THE LIKLEY)))) drug infested piece of garbage having a gun 3 feet from your head, You will be the same as most of us unless you are properly trained in what to do.

I suggest to people to not think what you would like to do but to get training and practice on what you need to do.
Not only shooting , but self defense technics and combat training like Brownie offers.

I know for a fact that if I was not so screwed up with cancer and all of my health problems, I would have a class by Brownie on disarming a thug.

Mike in #18, You may be the type I am talking about.
I have seen a lot of really tough guys cry like babies in some really bad situations and I do not consider them cowardly at all.

Ronnie
Ronnie: I believe that most, if not all, of the respondents have been trained by Brownie; both in threat focused pistol and h2h/blade training. Multiple times. 👍

· Registered
58,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
i am fortunate that my vocation requires heightened hand to eye coordination, quick thinking and fast, accurate hands in reaction to different situations...unless i see a reason to wait or step back, my responses are usually instantaneous, without hesitation, whether it be to protect myself or correct something going wrong before it gets out of hand...i have no problem pushing myself into a situation for a desirable outcome...that doesnt mean it always works, and i have the scars to prove it...but it is a part of me that has become automatic...
My vocation gave me the same requirements. I understand your mentality very well.

· Registered
58,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Tell me about it! LOL! I felt it!

That's what I get for bringing the SIRT laser pistol to class for show 'n' tell!
You learned a few valuable lesson that day while on lunch break.

Don't stick a gun in someone's chest or face in an effort to control them with that tool.

Acton beats reaction, even if the one initiating the action against you is an old guy who doesn't look all that fast.

;)

· Registered
17,046 Posts
Don't stick a gun in someone's chest or face in an effort to control them with that tool.
Ha! Ummm.... I did as instructed. It wasn't MY idea! LOL!

· Administrator
33,045 Posts
Ha! Ummm.... I did as instructed. It wasn't MY idea! LOL!
I've learned an awful lot from watching people being subjected to yet another's idea going badly! ;)

· Registered
236 Posts
Pick any venue, someone has pulled a gun on you at bad breath distance. You're armed with your normal EDC.

Will you draw against the drop [ someone has the drop on you ]

Will you attempt a disarm?

Will you wait to see if there's an opening to draw and fire your own EDC?

Will you try to create a distraction and draw your EDC?

Stand there frozen in time, not willing to move for fear of being shot?

What other options might you have that aren't listed above?
How are they holding the knife?

· Registered
236 Posts

Same thing with a handgun, knife, or hammer, depending. I was in a situation recently where a gentleman had made threats of violence. He stepped to bad breath distance. His left hand was behind his back.

He made the classic mistake of the big man confronting the rabbit. He got too close.

It ended up not going any further, but he gave me a lot more options and showed his lack of experience.

· Registered
15,084 Posts
Pick any venue, someone has pulled a gun on you at bad breath distance. You're armed with your normal EDC.

Will you draw against the drop [ someone has the drop on you ]

Will you attempt a disarm?

Will you wait to see if there's an opening to draw and fire your own EDC?

Will you try to create a distraction and draw your EDC?

Stand there frozen in time, not willing to move for fear of being shot?

What other options might you have that aren't listed above?
I see two options. One is close the distance. Then it’s a disarm. Get off the x. Control the weapon. Disarm. Disable.
OR add distance and time. That takes distraction.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts