Florida Concealed Carry banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,799 Posts
I've seen the results of a couple knife fights. I'm hoping I'm the one who brought a gun to a knife fight.
You also don't want to be the one to bring a gun to a knife fight, brother.

·
Registered
15,625 Posts
I have been cut and stabbed. I have been shot. Here's a hint. A man with a gun may miss. A man with a knife seldom does

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
The reason being stabbed in the back is so common, you are facing the non aggressive part of a person, the part that can not see, my first experience of being stabbed (only two times!) was maybe a pen knife, or nail file the Dr. in the Emerg. said.

The wound was not big, and just to the left side of the right kidney.

"If he had been left handed, he might have cut the kidney!" Don't know why he assumed a male! The Cavern Club in the 60s, the girls carried the boyfriends stuff.

I do know one thing, did it ever bleed!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
As stated by others I feel that the double edged knife is more of an offensive weapon or a back up. I carry a small double edged boot knife for when all else fails. It would be of use in a H2H on the ground type situation at which point it would be used to stab not really for cutting/slashing. IMHO a single edge is not only a better defensive weapon it can also be used for utility work so people don't think you are running around waiting to stab someone. Bottom pic is my EDC knife.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,870 Posts
Aw shoot! I can't read the whole 5 pages...

I have a toothpick about 5" double blade for SD, Panther built a sheat for it. Non-expensive-light little thing for SD only.
Good for what it is but I did not buy it to carry nor I do carry it ever. [A lot more practical that the sword I'm not trained on (neither in double blades) but I don't care]. To carry it would be like my third ... no fourth resource. Maybe a boot blade. Pros, being lighter, more manageable for what it is (in my case stab from below). I found its handle good and its size perfect. Cons, being lighter and one use only.

Preferred to that its the straight with shorter blade but wider edge and for heavy use. Preferred to both are the folders for practicallity. And indepedently of training, and depending of situations, I still prefer knives to guns :dunno

·
Registered
9,002 Posts

·
Banned
11,161 Posts
Let me make a comment here. When ever possible ALWAYS bring a gun to a knife fight.

In the first place, the gun can be used at a distance, repeatedly.
In the second, a knife does damage the same way as a gun. Unless the knife penetrates a vital organ or severs a major artery or vein, it will not kill you and probably not totally incapacitate you. A single arm can provide an effective shield, for a short time. It is extremely difficult to block a bullet from a handgun in an effective loading.
And, finally, the handgun is much easier to use effectively.

·
Registered
56,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Let me make a comment here. When ever possible ALWAYS bring a gun to a knife fight.

In the first place, the gun can be used at a distance, repeatedly.
In the second, a knife does damage the same way as a gun. Unless the knife penetrates a vital organ or severs a major artery or vein, it will not kill you and probably not totally incapacitate you. A single arm can provide an effective shield, for a short time. It is extremely difficult to block a bullet from a handgun in an effective loading.
And, finally, the handgun is much easier to use effectively.
You find yourself being attacked with a knife, good luck trying to get to the firearm Mac. At close in fighting distances as the knife would be used, a holstered firearm does you NO good and will not defend you. Demonstrated quite effectively in fof and defensive edged weapons training going hands on.

the gun can be used at a distance, repeatedly.

The majority of blade attacks don't occur at range, so that point is moot.

·
Registered
16,870 Posts
:rolleyes: the flat reading isn't healthy either.

·
Banned
11,161 Posts
You find yourself being attacked with a knife, good luck trying to get to the firearm Mac. At close in fighting distances as the knife would be used, a holstered firearm does you NO good and will not defend you. Demonstrated quite effectively in fof and defensive edged weapons training going hands on.

the gun can be used at a distance, repeatedly.

The majority of blade attacks don't occur at range, so that point is moot.
If you are responding to a knife attack with a sheathed knife, the same thing applies. And, anything beyond the reach of your opponent is "at a distance", when he is armed with a knife.

Remember something about a knife, it has to penetrate the body sufficiently to damage blood bearing organs or major arteries or veins, in order to render one hors d'combat. The pistol does the same thing, but it does it much more effectively. Simply cutting the outer surface of an arm or leg, will not immediately incapacitate one. Neither will a cut to the chest or back. It is very possible for a person to defend themselves, sufficiently, to bring a knife or pistol to bear. Simply blocking and kicking or striking a knife wielding attacker can buy you enough time to draw and engage them with a handgun. And, I would much rather hammer an attacker with a half dozen 230gr .45 caliber slugs than try to stab him. That is one reason why soldiers are armed with firearms rather than bladed weapons. Mental conditioning is all important in any physical confrontation.

·
Registered
56,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
If you are responding to a knife attack with a sheathed knife, the same thing applies. And, anything beyond the reach of your opponent is "at a distance", when he is armed with a knife.

Remember something about a knife, it has to penetrate the body sufficiently to damage blood bearing organs or major arteries or veins, in order to render one hors d'combat. The pistol does the same thing, but it does it much more effectively. Simply cutting the outer surface of an arm or leg, will not immediately incapacitate one. Neither will a cut to the chest or back. It is very possible for a person to defend themselves, sufficiently, to bring a knife or pistol to bear. Simply blocking and kicking or striking a knife wielding attacker can buy you enough time to draw and engage them with a handgun. And, I would much rather hammer an attacker with a half dozen 230gr .45 caliber slugs than try to stab him. That is one reason why soldiers are armed with firearms rather than bladed weapons. Mental conditioning is all important in any physical confrontation.
Correct, if you go for a weapon of any kind while under attack by a knife [ which means near or contact distance, you're going to lose the majority of the time and take major damage while trying to get to the weapon of choice. Thus the statement stands, don't think because you have distance weapon [ a gun ] that may or may not be more effective than a knife you're going to be employing it.

It's all an inmate can do to keep from being shivved repeatedly if he's using both arms to defend himself. Taking one arm out of the equation while attempting to deploy a firearm? Might as well be asking them to kill you. Time and distance are friends, you don't create either trying to draw a weapon while being attacked.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Looking at attacks/robbery attempts/ the knife is hardly ever used anymore, fashion?

Who knows, but the normal way to your cash, is to ask for it, whilst preferring an alternative, IE "Give me" or I will shoot you.

As most men carry the cash/cards/etc. In the back pants pocket, a little play acting, as you go for the "Wallet" can normally win your discussion, as action does beat reaction.

Plus getting a wallet from a shot person, who is flopping, and bleeding all over the place is not so easy.

The young nut case who tried to KILL! me with a home made (looked professionally built) Ice Pick, had done it B/4, for sure. The weapon looked to be from a rat tailed file, ground smooth? Did not get time to examine it at length, the Jeep Patrol Sgt. took it with him.

But it did have the handle polished and lacquered, and an upside down leather holster sewn into his jacket, behind the right lapel, he was left handed.

When it was punched forward, I attacked the hand, wrist actually. So he could not get it back, he had it stuck in my right wrist (Just examined that wrist, can not see the wee scar anymore!) of course it was over 50 years ago! If he had got it back, second strike might have worked.

He was aiming for the sternum.

In looking at the finger I cut the tip off, closing an Army Jack knife with one hand? 1955, no sign of the skin graft either! We must be self healing mammal's, yes?

You need to go into that cold dark place in your mind when facing danger/death, shut the panic off. Think about it later.

·
Registered
14,701 Posts
Correct, if you go for a weapon of any kind while under attack by a knife [ which means near or contact distance, you're going to lose the majority of the time and take major damage while trying to get to the weapon of choice. Thus the statement stands, don't think because you have distance weapon [ a gun ] that may or may not be more effective than a knife you're going to be employing it.

It's all an inmate can do to keep from being shivved repeatedly if he's using both arms to defend himself. Taking one arm out of the equation while attempting to deploy a firearm? Might as well be asking them to kill you. Time and distance are friends, you don't create either trying to draw a weapon while being attacked.
The highlighted, in all fights, but more so in a blade attack.

·
Registered
16,870 Posts
Looking at attacks/robbery attempts/ the knife is hardly ever used anymore, fashion?
You can call it culture, more than fashion. Using a knife requires, even in the lower end of the scale, a "mastery" that it's not required to press a trigger. Also a mental conditioning as it is more "personal".

Some cultures are more given to one or another and we live in the cowboys' land! Where/when I grew up, like you, every one had their brushing with blades, every size and making possible, from the homemade shiver sewn inside hats, sleeves or hems, to the long blades OC or everywhere around... while almost nobody got close to a gun ever! Not in my generation and not that much before either. But you did not cross anybody believing they were not carrying some type of cutting device and they woudl use it in a blink. And anybody meant any age, gender, race, etc. You pick up some funny customs growing up like that. :dunno And a stronger stomach.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
You can call it culture, more than fashion. Using a knife requires, even in the lower end of the scale, a "mastery" that it's not required to press a trigger. Also a mental conditioning as it is more "personal".

Some cultures are more given to one or another and we live in the cowboys' land! Where/when I grew up, like you, every one had their brushing with blades, every size and making possible, from the homemade shiver sewn inside hats, sleeves or hems, to the long blades OC or everywhere around... while almost nobody got close to a gun ever! Not in my generation and not that much before either. But you did not cross anybody believing they were not carrying some type of cutting device and they woudl use it in a blink. And anybody meant any age, gender, race, etc. You pick up some funny customs growing up like that. :dunno And a stronger stomach.
Correct Young Lady!

·
Registered
5 Posts
They trained coming from behind. Grab the head and twist. Insert knife at base of skull and cut brain stem.
Done any other way the body makes a lot of noise trying not to die.
Specific purpose. Specific design.
. Prior to going to NAM we were trained to stab the neck on the side and slash outwards to cut off the windpipe while also cutting the Carotid artery. Never any knife fighting techniques. I think in real life knife fights are there for entertainment purposes or used by elite units in the military.

The base of the spine at the head is not a big target and more so if the enemy were trying to move his head. For us a knife was a get off of me weapon. Never saw a knife fight between enemy combatants. No technique needed otter than pull the knife out and stab the guy who is grabbing you. In combat my 1911 was my auxiliary weapon even though we all had bayonet/knives. Never saw a soldier square off with an enemy soldier and have a knife fight. Our knives were for get off of me situations where no technique was needed since the enemy was on top of you. Just pull out knife and stab until he lets go.

·
Super Moderator
30,988 Posts
vinnyfl, that makes sense but I'm also hoping you realize that the last post in this Necro thread before yours was nearly 8 years ago! :unsure:

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
I miss Barbie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AFJuvat
41 - 60 of 62 Posts