Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
56,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many carry a straight blade here with SD in mind. What are your thoughts on carrying a double edged dagger like the F/S dagger pictured here, and why would or wouldn't you consider it a viable SD tool?

Pros:

Cons:

In your opinion,

Attachments

·
Registered
14,700 Posts
I have used and trained with the F/S dagger extensively. Never cared for the grip, balance or blade. Prefer a knife for fighting like a Randall #1 or SP-1 Fighter. The major problem with the dagger is that it is single purpose. It has no diversity. The second major problem is that the blade is narrow and doesn't leave a wide wound channel, nor does it have a blood channel. I prefer a blade with a wider cutting surface to increase the wound channel.

Don't get me wrong, when training with them, they are very handy for what they are built for. And they are very dangerous in the hands of a man or woman that know how to use them.

·
Banned
11,161 Posts
The double edged dagger is a fine weapon for self defense. I am not a big fan of the F/S, preferring the EK or Applegate knives, with their wider blades. As Bob mentioned, they are specialty weapons designed for killing. As I use a knife more as a utility tool than as a weapon, I find single edge blades more useful overall.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Good enough for WWII British Commandoes

·
Super Moderator
6,318 Posts
I have no real world experience, so my comments are just based on my research of using knives for self defense.

That said I'm not sure that a double edged dagger would be a good choice for the techniques I've been taught for self defense.

Most SD with knives involve slashes. This knife is designed to stab. So for the techniques I know and practice, a single edges blade or Bowie would be the preferred knife.

If I was an assassin, then this tool might be more handy

·
Registered
56,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have no real world experience, so my comments are just based on my research of using knives for self defense.

That said I'm not sure that a double edged dagger would be a good choice for the techniques I've been taught for self defense.

Most SD with knives involve slashes. This knife is designed to stab. So for the techniques I know and practice, a single edges blade or Bowie would be the preferred knife.

If I was an assassin, then this tool might be more handy
You've learned well in the course and in your research of blades sir. :thumsup

The double edge dagger style blades don't have enough "weight" behind them to affect good deep slashes. They are primarily for stabbing someone [ sentry removal from behind without warning and at that, they excel ].

Good for you Edgehill, they do not make a good SD blade, they are an offensive design. :thumsup

·
Registered
218 Posts
I like my double edge dagger boot knife. I consider it a back-up blade that would be useful if laying on the ground.

·
Registered
218 Posts
What's your primary blade?
A Kershaw folder. I just can't spend the money on a better quality knife. I know the better blades are like day and night compared to a $35.00 Kershaw but........
I feel the same way about flashlights too. Surefire makes terrific lights but I just can't see spending up to $300.00 for a light that Mr. Murphy may cause me to lose. My $80.00 Fenix lights work okay for me.

·
Super Moderator
19,799 Posts
What Bob and Edgehill said. Though trained in their use, I prefer the versatility of a solid clip point or tanto vs. the dual-edged dagger for street carry.

·
Banned
8,392 Posts
You can twist it so the wound won't heal properly?

- - - Updated - - -

My cloak days are over!

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
You can twist it so the wound won't heal properly?

- - - Updated - - -

My cloak days are over!
Don't they have to live long enough to heal ? that type of knife is meant for puncture wounds ,as in to the base of the brain for instant kill ? If you want to twist something ,get a corkscrew ! Kevin

·
Super Moderator
6,318 Posts
A Kershaw folder. I just can't spend the money on a better quality knife. I know the better blades are like day and night compared to a $35.00 Kershaw but........
I feel the same way about flashlights too. Surefire makes terrific lights but I just can't see spending up to $300.00 for a light that Mr. Murphy may cause me to lose. My $80.00 Fenix lights work okay for me.
Blades are like anything else. You can spend a little or a lot and in both cases get a good reliable knife.

Kershaw is a good knife maker. I carry a Kershaw Tanto Blur. Wonderful knife. I also have the Syderco Perrin Street Bowie that I got on sale for around $80. This is my primary. I also carry a $30 neck knife by SOG that is the backup. It's similar to a dagger. I wouldn't want to fight with it but if it was all I had left and my life was on the line, I'd use it in a heart beat.

Even my Hen&Rooster 8-inch blade wasn't expensive. Less than $100. The Panther sheath that Jim and Scott made for it was more expensive.

·
Banned
11,161 Posts
You've learned well in the course and in your research of blades sir. :thumsup

The double edge dagger style blades don't have enough "weight" behind them to affect good deep slashes. They are primarily for stabbing someone [ sentry removal from behind without warning and at that, they excel ].

Good for you Edgehill, they do not make a good SD blade, they are an offensive design. :thumsup
I have to disagree here. In the first place a double edged knife can be as heavy as a single edge knife and the cutting edge is the same on one side of each type of knife of a given blade length. Most infantry swords, up until the 18th century were double edge blades.

And, the most effective strike, with a knife, is the stab. It produces damage deep into the large blood bearing organs, which slashes do not. And, in close quarters, when that Bowie can not be swung effectively, you are going to stab. The double edge knife also allows the knife to be used in a variety of ways, without changing grips as must be done with a single edged blade.

·
Super Moderator
6,318 Posts
The way a sword is used is different than a small knife. The tip of a dagger is not specifically designed for slashes. Where a clip point or tanto is designed for that.

If you're in close, you'll have less room to stab than slash.

·
Registered
56,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have to disagree here. In the first place a double edged knife can be as heavy as a single edge knife and the cutting edge is the same on one side of each type of knife of a given blade length. Most infantry swords, up until the 18th century were double edge blades.

And, the most effective strike, with a knife, is the stab. It produces damage deep into the large blood bearing organs, which slashes do not. And, in close quarters, when that Bowie can not be swung effectively, you are going to stab. The double edge knife also allows the knife to be used in a variety of ways, without changing grips as must be done with a single edged blade.
Impossible Mac,
Two knives of equal weight as a blank, one with one grind, the other with dual grind, the dual grind has taken more material from midline of the blade to the edge on the second side.

Most infantry swords, up until the 18th century were double edge blades.

I'm sure you know the difference between a sword and a dagger.

the most effective strike, with a knife, is the stab. It produces damage deep into the large blood bearing organs, which slashes do not.

The most effective strike is the one you can make without taking one yourself. Whether that be a stab or slash will be up to the opponent.

The dagger doesn't have enough weight to slash as effectively as another single grind blade of same dimensions.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Good enough for WWII British Commandoes
They trained coming from behind. Grab the head and twist. Insert knife at base of skull and cut brain stem.
Done any other way the body makes a lot of noise trying not to die.
Specific purpose. Specific design.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Had one of those knives, it snapped at the hilt. Throwing it, no good for that.

Double edged, and wider for me, than the S&F, 5" long blade. Knives are not for fighting with! They are for driving into kidneys, top of the head, throat. Slyly!

My ancestors were Vikings, or there about's, my dark red hair has turned to white! Old age will do that. Pistols and short rifles are our weapons now.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts