Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just throwing this out there.

Does anyone carry a tourniquet? Why or why not?

I noticed in my EDC post. Looked like no one carries one.

I carry a swat-t tourniquet because its compact and easy to throw in the pocket and also have 3 kids and cat tourniquet are not approved for children.

Seems like a swat-t would be a better option than a backup mag if space is the problem.

If we carry a gun to save lives then why not carry a tourniquet. We will probably be more likely to save a life with a tourniquet than a gun(statistically?) . Car accidents, at work and and tons of other situations.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
They are only good for choking Dem politician's and lawyers.... :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: joecarry

·
Super Moderator
6,322 Posts
I don't carry a tourniquet, but I just got recertified with the Red Cross and they taught tourniquet techniques this time, so I've been contemplating adding that to my emergency kit that I keep with me.

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
I have one in a medical kit in a large bug out bag but I don’t carry one at any time on me.

What I do carry in my range bag as I feel that is much more important it two things. One is the Quick Clot Trauma Pack and the second one is….wait for it…..wait for it….TAMPONS! Yes tampons. They are designed to go into holes that bleed. What more could you ask for. Not to mention I never know when I might start “spotting”. :oops:

YMMV. 🤣🤣🤣

·
Super Moderator
30,988 Posts
I carry a tourniquet in my IFAK that keep close but not in my EDC kit. I was trained how to use one in multiple Wilderness Survival courses when I was a Scoutmaster for 10 years. However, even though I don't carry one as part of my EDC, I have other items that can be repurposed as a tourniquet if I'm in the position to need to apply one. 🤠

·
Registered
56,085 Posts
I carry a tourniquet in my IFAK that keep close but not in my EDC kit. I was trained how to use one in multiple Wilderness Survival courses when I was a Scoutmaster for 10 years. However, even though I don't carry one as part of my EDC, I have other items that can be repurposed as a tourniquet if I'm in the position to need to apply one. 🤠
And thats why I don't carry one.

·
Registered
15,625 Posts
I can seal a sucking chest wound with the cellophane off a cigarette pack. But I keep a sealant rubber bandage in my pack in my truck for that. Corps taught me anything from a boot lace to a cut up shirt can fashion a tourniquet

·
Registered
14,701 Posts
I have 3 trauma packs, including TQ's, clotting bandages, chest sealing bandages, surgical equipt. Also including a full first aid kit.. One stays in my truck, another in my range bag and another in my hunting or camping backpack. The one in the truck has 3 TQ's for multiple casualties.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Yes, one in my range bag. One in each vehicle, and one on my "mole vest" My range bag also has quick clot and a chest seal. I also carry quick clot in my vehicle IFAK. Although I was a certificated EMT 40 years ago, I'm old and probably can't help others in need, but I can hand someone my stuff and ask them to help me and my loved ones and then anyone else that needs help. There are so many things that you could do when you were young, that you simply can't do when you are old. Please, all of you young guys, get some basic first responder training.

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
You really need to carry one because if you do have to shoot some thug and he does not die from the bullet you put in him you can use the tourniquet to rid yourself of being sued by him in the future after they fix him up and turn him loose.
Ronnie 😁 👍

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I see that everyone has one near by. But what good is it if you half to run off to your car and dig it out of your bag then run back. Or what if you are in someone else's car and do not have your b.o.b. What good is a gun if you half to run to your car to get it. Isn't that why we carry a gun on our person. When you need it, you need it fast. I would assume the same for a tourniquet.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I see that everyone has one near by. But what good is it if you half to run off to your car and dig it out of your bag then run back....When you need it, you need it fast.
I understand what you're saying, but practicality rules the day. I would like to have a defib unit with me at all times, too, but that just is not practical. Carrying a TQ is only slightly more so. My work necessities, handgun, spare mags, knife, flashlight, Rx sunglasses, and fob fairly well load me down.

As others have implied or said, shoelaces and shirts will work in a pinch. What I carry is a result of my needs, risk assessment, and personal management.

·
Registered
56,085 Posts
I see that everyone has one near by. But what good is it if you half to run off to your car and dig it out of your bag then run back. Or what if you are in someone else's car and do not have your b.o.b. What good is a gun if you half to run to your car to get it. Isn't that why we carry a gun on our person. When you need it, you need it fast. I would assume the same for a tourniquet.
I wear one every day, it's called a belt. Want to guess how long it takes me to go from wearing it to using it? You're more than welcome to carry a TQ on your person along with anyone else that so desires.

The more important question is "do you have medical training in cpr, first responder emergency medical skills/knowledge to be an effective responder in an emergency".

If I had a choice of someone who has training using one on me who doesn't have on on his person and an untrained person who has one at the ready, I'll take my chances with the person who has the training. He can adapt to his environment and use field expedients to affect the slowing of blood loss.

Got any medical training booshwaa1?

·
Registered
14,701 Posts
^^^^^^ THIS

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wear one every day, it's called a belt. Want to guess how long it takes me to go from wearing it to using it? You're more than welcome to carry a TQ on your person along with anyone else that so desires.

The more important question is "do you have medical training in cpr, first responder emergency medical skills/knowledge to be an effective responder in an emergency".

If I had a choice of someone who has training using one on me who doesn't have on on his person and an untrained person who has one at the ready, I'll take my chances with the person who has the training. He can adapt to his environment and use field expedients to affect the slowing of blood loss.

Got any medical training booshwaa1?

I have not taken any medical classes. But have researched plenty enough to use a TQ. And would know many other ways a swat-t could be used. And have done enough research to know that you would have a hard time using a belt and getting it tight enough for it to be used as a TQ without any blood loss. Google agrees with me. I have seen belts being used in movies and maybe many years ago even taught to use a belt. But most of the belts we use for concealed carry are stiff and would not be a good option. What kind of belt do you use? You would need a belt that could be twisted many times to stop blood loss. I have thought about different improvised TQs I could use, just like with all of the responses from all of you. With how small a swat-t is it is worth it to me to carry it over hoping I will be able to use my belt or t-shirt. You should get a swat-t and see if you can apply it to your EDC. And if not than you can stick it in your car or backpack or house and have a backup TQ.

·
Super Moderator
30,988 Posts
As in all things one chooses to EDC, carry what you're comfortable with and only you have to justify your choices. As you say, most gun belts are not easily converted for use as a tourniquet. . .by themselves. For me, I didn't even say my repurposed items involved my belt and there are still other items in my EDC that can be repurposed for use to tighten what I would use as a tourniquet, all within my skill set and previous (but now expired) wilderness survival emergency medical training. :unsure:

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
As in all things one chooses to EDC, carry what you're comfortable with and only you have to justify your choices. As you say, most gun belts are not easily converted for use as a tourniquet. . .by themselves. For me, I didn't even say my repurposed items involved my belt and there are still other items in my EDC that can be repurposed for use to tighten what I would use as a tourniquet, all within my skill set and previous (but now expired) wilderness survival emergency medical training. :unsure:
I got my state EMT certification in the early ‘80’s, did the re-cert once, then let it lapse, as it wasn’t necessary for my current job, and the EMT pay back then wasn’t of interest to me.
I was also a certified instructor for Basic First Aide and CPR. That's been quite a while ago now, but I still remember a fair amount of my training, and I still have that big orange book.

·
Registered
56,085 Posts
I have not taken any medical classes. But have researched plenty enough to use a TQ. And would know many other ways a swat-t could be used. And have done enough research to know that you would have a hard time using a belt and getting it tight enough for it to be used as a TQ without any blood loss. Google agrees with me. I have seen belts being used in movies and maybe many years ago even taught to use a belt. But most of the belts we use for concealed carry are stiff and would not be a good option. What kind of belt do you use? You would need a belt that could be twisted many times to stop blood loss. I have thought about different improvised TQs I could use, just like with all of the responses from all of you. With how small a swat-t is it is worth it to me to carry it over hoping I will be able to use my belt or t-shirt. You should get a swat-t and see if you can apply it to your EDC. And if not than you can stick it in your car or backpack or house and have a backup TQ.
You stated earlier that's a bad idea, won't have time to run to retrieve it, it MUST be on you.

As for belt use, one has to know how to use a belt in that manner properly. It's not a matter of trying to buckle it like you're wearing in around your waist. Wrap the belt twice around the place you're going to apply it. The second loop, having left enough to get a clenched fist into it can be twisted to apply even and enough pressure to the limb to stem the blood flow. Most people won't have been shown the above, yet that application will work quite well.

The application of a TQ or field expedient requires medical knowledge. Not just having read a how to in a book or online. The knowledge of when and when not to apply one is as important as how to use one and where to place it.

See that blue neck gaitor I'm wearing. It's a field expedient as well. I wear a neck gaitor every day. Here's two, one last summer in SD, the other a few months back in Florida during a weekend training event. Perfect TQ as well. I'd prefer someone with no practical experience and having read an instruction manual not work on me. Instead, a trained first responder who may not have one on him but has the knowledge and can use field expedients. But that's just me, having taken [ required ] advanced medical training courses a few times.

Clothing Hand Cap Eyewear Baseball cap

Water Sky Tree Sleeve Standing

·
Registered
14,701 Posts
I got my state EMT certification in the early ‘80’s, did the re-cert once, then let it lapse, as it wasn’t necessary for my current job, and the EMT pay back then wasn’t of interest to me.
I was also a certified instructor for Basic First Aide and CPR. That's been quite a while ago now, but I still remember a fair amount of my training, and I still have that big orange book.
Because of my insurance I renew my basic first aid and CPR annually. We were mandated in the Marine Corps Advanced infantry training to learn how to treat trauma patients to stabilize until help arrived.
Yes, we used field expedient TQ’s, field expedient chest seals, field expedient stretchers among other things. It was an advanced medic course. Much more advanced than basic first aid. It was called Advance First Aid then, now it’s called Combat lifesaver course. We have one certified for every squad. Not including a Corpsman.

Reactions: BeerHunter
1 - 20 of 32 Posts