Florida Concealed Carry banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
A democracy sometimes requires that we sacrifice convenience for the public good
First, this country is NOT a democracy.... Second, there is a difference between convenience and RIGHTS !

...and yeah, the writer is a delusional libtard.

·
Registered
10,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
A democracy sometimes requires that we sacrifice convenience for the public good
First, this country is NOT a democracy.... Second, there is a difference between convenience and RIGHTS !

Our Rights are subject neither to the democratic process nor to arguments grounded in social utility.

Ever.

Period.

Yeah... agree with MisterEd... who's talking about "convenience???"

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Firsthis country is NOT a democracy.., t.. Second, there is a difference between convenience and RIGHTS !

Please explain

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Please explain
Uh, this country is a Republic.... Either a Constitutional Republic or a Representative Republic depending on who you ask.

You might want to take a look at the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. They make for interesting reading.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Of course it's not a PURE democracy.
Is there a reason why either of the 2 forms you listed cannot be democratic in spirit and nature??????

·
Registered
10,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Of course it's not a PURE democracy.
Is there a reason why either of the 2 forms you listed cannot be democratic in spirit and nature??????
OK... it's not a democracy, period. Calling this country a democracy is implied as "pure" unless you add a modifier. We are NOT a democracy, PERIOD. We are a Constitutional (or Representative) Republic that does implement some democratic methods in SOME aspects of the running of the country.

But, it is clearly a fact that our Rights are NOT subject to the democratic process. In other words, a majority cannot vote away your Constitutionally protected Rights.

Even our Presidents are not elected democratically (majority rules).

You can keep repeating the fallacy that we are a "democracy." But, it won't make it true. It's factually incorrect.

If you call it a "Representative Democracy," you'd be closer to the truth. :)

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
We are not a democracy at all. Democracies are evil. Democracies are 3 wolves and a sheep deciding what is for dinner.

I hate it when people refer to the United States as a democracy or when politicians say they want to "bring democracy" to so and such region elsewhere in the world.

I would expect confusion on this point from a young person who might have conveniently never been taught these things, but Fish you're old enough to know better.

·
Super Moderator
26,067 Posts
OK... it's not a democracy, period. Calling this country a democracy is implied as "pure" unless you add a modifier. We are NOT a democracy, PERIOD. We are a Constitutional (or Representative) Republic that does implement some democratic methods in SOME aspects of the running of the country.

But, it is clearly a fact that our Rights are NOT subject to the democratic process. In other words, a majority cannot vote away your Constitutionally protected Rights.

Even our Presidents are not elected democratically (majority rules).

You can keep repeating the fallacy that we are a "democracy." But, it won't make it true. It's factually incorrect.

If you call it a "Representative Democracy," you'd be closer to the truth. :)
We are not a democracy at all. Democracies are evil. Democracies are 3 wolves and a sheep deciding what is for dinner.

I hate it when people refer to the United States as a democracy or when politicians say they want to "bring democracy" to so and such region elsewhere in the world.

I would expect confusion on this point from a young person who might have conveniently never been taught these things, but Fish you're old enough to know better.
We'll said both of you and The Fish should know better, unless he really and truly doesn't understand the terms "Democracy," "Republic," etc., which I find implausible.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Yeah...'cuz ammo manufacturers will be "all over" making ammo for non-existent guns.... making ammo BEFORE the guns that fire it exist... to "force" gun owners to buy new guns for the new ammo. What the actual ***k??

****ing brilliant, this guy is!
You are cracking me up. This fool has it all wrong, ACTUALLY, its the GUN POWDER that needs to be outlawed. Everybody knows if there was no access to gun powder that we would live in a utopia!!! Derrrrr

For your amusement I did a search and found the guy who wrote this:

The Gov.jpg

·
Registered
10,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
You are cracking me up. This fool has it all wrong, ACTUALLY, its the GUN POWDER that needs to be outlawed. Everybody knows if there was no access to gun powder that we would live in a utopia!!! Derrrrr

For your amusement I did a search and found the guy who wrote this:

View attachment 64769
^^^ My personal hero! ^^^^ Mel Brooks.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Not exactly. True, a majority vote of citizens can't, but a majority of government representatives can.

In the first place, we have a Constitution and Bill of Rights that enumerate these rights you speak of, and both of those documents underwent a legislative process, both on the federal and on the state levels, in order to be enacted. "Governments are instituted among men," is how the DOI states it, and specifies the reason is to secure the rights.

By those same processes, any or all of that Constitution/BOR may at any time be modified, expanded, or even totally eliminated. The Declaration of Independence even states it outright:

"That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, – That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

So if a Constitutional Convention were to happen and (pick your favorite right) was done away with, and 2/3 of the state legislatures accepted it, it's a done deal. A right completely eliminated by the representative government elected with the power to add, subtract, or erase any right in the list.

·
Registered
10,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Not exactly. True, a majority vote of citizens can't, but a majority of government representatives can.
Well, yeah... DUH. Please don't insult my intelligence. I said what I mean and mean what I said. I speak VERY literally... ALWAYS. So, what I said is 100% true. EXACTLY TRUE. It's only "not exactly true" when you INFER your own interpretation (which is a non sequitur).

In the first place, we have a Constitution and Bill of Rights that enumerate these rights you speak of, and both of those documents underwent a legislative process, both on the federal and on the state levels, in order to be enacted. "Governments are instituted among men," is how the DOI states it, and specifies the reason is to secure the rights.

By those same processes, any or all of that Constitution/BOR may at any time be modified, expanded, or even totally eliminated. The Declaration of Independence even states it outright:

"That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, – That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

So if a Constitutional Convention were to happen and (pick your favorite right) was done away with, and 2/3 of the state legislatures accepted it, it's a done deal. A right completely eliminated by the representative government elected with the power to add, subtract, or erase any right in the list.
Again... I'm QUITE aware of how it works. So, again, what I said is absolutely true. In a true democracy, the "majority" (OF CITIZENS) rule. We aren't a democracy. Therefore a majority (of CITIZENS, eh?) cannot vote away your Constitutionally-protected Rights.

That all said, the amendment process was intentionally made to be a very high bar to clear. So, the likelihood of any of the existing enumerated protections of our Rights being rescinded is VERY LOW. The likelihood of 2/3rds of both chambers of congress voting in favor of rescinding an amendent and 3/4 of the states ratifying it are arguably very, very low.

But, let's say that chance in a million happened. And, that 2/3rds of each chamber of Congress along with 3/4 of the states decided to rescind our long-held protections on one of our Natural Rights... Do you REALLY think that we, the people, are going to roll over?? Are the people going to simply acquiesce and forsake their NATURAL Rights (such as Free Speech, Self-Defense, Assembly and Association)... just because the government decided those Rights were no longer protected by the Constitution? I dare submit that we don't really NEED the Constitution to protect our Rights or to assert them. We can do it ourselves, if need be, eh?

·
Registered
12,939 Posts
And my favorite from my distant relative......... “The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

·
Registered
10,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
My favorite: "George Washington didn't defeat the British with Free Speech. He shot them. Many times. In the face." - unknown.
:grin

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can. Quote by Samuel Adams Read more at: https://www.9quotes.com/quote/samuel-adams-164720
And my favorite from my distant relative......... “The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton
My favorite: "George Washington didn't defeat the British with Free Speech. He shot them. Many times. In the face." - unknown.
:grin
A trifecta of self-evident truths! :clap

21 - 39 of 39 Posts