Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wanted to get into reloading. But man, the bug has bit me hard now that I've been given a lot of equipment. Got my tumbler in and I'm making 40 year old projectiles and brass look good as new. I'll of course inspect it all as I reload. But seeing something old and tarnished go to new and shiny new looking is just awesome.

I purchased a Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler with SS media and it's been going all day with different items in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
Those are looking purdy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,995 Posts
Digital calipers and a good BEAM SCALE are your friends. Also, learn the plunk test and use it on the gun you shoot with. Check weights are a good idea, too

·
Super Moderator
26,039 Posts
I too decided it's a great time to get my reloading bench set back up again, finally after my move back home to Florida. So I just recently received the dies I needed to reload 6.5 Creedmoor in addition the other rifle and pistol calibers I used to reload. About 6 months before moving back south, I too had switched over to wet tumbling and although doesn't really affect performance, the reloaded cartridges look exceptional.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I too was going to mention polishing my range ammo, but talk like that just invites the anti-gunners to file their red-flag petitions.

...So I kinda just brushed over them with a rag and some Ballistol.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Bourbon not a good idea !
For sure!

When I load, the house rules are;
1. No TV or radio - distractions
2. No visitors - distractions
3. No food or drinks - distractions and potential for increased lead exposure
4. Take your time, and when you start to get tired; quit

I also visually check the headstamp of each case before it goes onto the press, and visually check the powder level in every case as it’s moving to the next station. I only load about 200 rounds per hour, which is less than the average loading rate for my Dillon RL 550 B, but I’ve never had a squib in over 45 years of reloading.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
You are going to become a brass hound at the range. :grin

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
I have best results offering beer for brass,or at outdoor ranges I have a brass picker from the dillon catalog. You just roll it on the grass and it picks up the brass.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
You are going to become a brass hound at the range. :grin
I don't go to a range other than my backyard or my buddy's place 5 minutes around the corner. I am blessed with a place to shoot and not be around idiots. So it's just my own brass picked up as I go.

I really can't stand to go to a public range. I was asked to go with a buddy of mine one time last year! SO glad I have a place to shoot of my own.

Guys and Gals, this reloading stuff is exciting and fun! I have almost read through the entire Lyman's 50th Edition reloading handbook cover to cover today!

I plan to reload, .45 ACP, 9mm, .38 special, .223/5.56, .308, 30-06, and 45-70.

I was gifted most of the stuff and then just dropped $300 easy on other stuff. I had digital calibers and was given a scale. Got a bunch of shotty reloading equipment yet. But one thing at a time. I'll focus on my brass stuff, then ease into shotgun loading!

On a side note, I was given mostly Lyman dies. I was resizing and decapping some 30-06 when the pin broke off. Called Lyman and they said all their customer service reps were working from home and I would be connected to one. I got in touch with a nice lady and she is sending out a new die set lickity split without me returning the broken one! Good customer service right there. These dies are 40+ years old and they said, no problem what so ever, we'll take care of it for you.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I only load about 200 rounds per hour, which is less than the average loading rate for my Dillon RL 550 B, but I’ve never had a squib in over 45 years of reloading.
Shoot, up to now, I was using an old Lee Loader and old school loading my 45-70. Took me 45min - 1r to load up 10-15 rounds while I watched a show or something! Now with an actual press, I am looking forward to not using a rubber hammer anymore. Hahaha. But it got the job done!

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Couple of other suggestions for equipment.

Beam scales are great, but digital scales are faster.

If you reload military brass, you will need to remove the primer crimp.

If you are reloading rifle brass, you will need brass trimming tools.

While the risks are very low, keeping a fire extinguisher handy isn't a bad idea.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
Home hobby . . .

Where's the bourbon?

-on Tapatalk
For the record, I was referencing my home hobby.

That and the BB gun backyard range.

I don't reload because the dude in the brown truck always brings me ammo. He's cool. :grin

-on Tapatalk

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Couple of other suggestions for equipment.

Beam scales are great, but digital scales are faster.

If you reload military brass, you will need to remove the primer crimp.

If you are reloading rifle brass, you will need brass trimming tools.

While the risks are very low, keeping a fire extinguisher handy isn't a bad idea.
Got everything but the digital scale. They didn't exist back when this equipment was made. Haha. Got an old fashioned scale that will do. But got a case trimmer and everything else.

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
The Lyman case prep center is a big time saver, I also like the dillon digital scale it is reasonably priced and holds up well, mine is 15 years old good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Reloading ammo

Your advantage is you were "given a lot of equipment" - you probably won't save much (IF anything) on your ammo cost, but if you're married, it will give you something to do other than get on your spouses nerves. :clap

Find someone with reloading experience and ask a lot of questions AND get a good manual. If you enjoy it, great - I reloaded for 10 years and ultimately decided it was better for me to buy from a friend who had been doing it for decades (he's running 7 progressive presses in different calibers and I can't beat his price...for example, 50 5.56 55 gr. FMJ for $14.00 when I supply the brass. I shoot at a small private range with other current and retired LEO's twice a month and bring him a 5 gallon bucket of mixed brass (9mm, .38, .357, 10mm, .45, 5.56, .308, etc.) every 3 months.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
I have been reloading for 50 yrs. On any precision rifle I have and rare cartridges like the Weatherby's I have, I always have 200-300 rounds that I rolled up. It is not that hard when you have good equipment. I only load on a Rockchucker press, 1 round at a time. I wet tumble with a cheap 50 buck Harbor Freight wet tumbler. I get free brass from my students in classes that don't reload. I probably have over 10,000 rounds of reloaded ammo. It is soothing sitting at my bench rolling them up.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I have been reloading for 50 yrs. On any precision rifle I have and rare cartridges like the Weatherby's I have, I always have 200-300 rounds that I rolled up. It is not that hard when you have good equipment. I only load on a Rockchucker press, 1 round at a time. I wet tumble with a cheap 50 buck Harbor Freight wet tumbler. I get free brass from my students in classes that don't reload. I probably have over 10,000 rounds of reloaded ammo. It is soothing sitting at my bench rolling them up.
I think that will be me. It's an old Rockchucker single stage press and I enjoy sitting there going through the motions. I dabbled in it with using a classic Lee Loader for my 45-70 and I loved sitting there banging away with my rubber mallet and loading them up. Now I can do it a little more efficiently and for more calibers. I am waiting on my new 45-70 die set. But in the mean time, I just de-primed 100 cases with the ole rubber mallet tonight to be ready to reload with my new dies in a week or so. Got a workbench bracket kit and look to build something like this for "MY" room in the house.

The kit came with all the brackets and I simply add the wood and stain. I start on that this weekend. It's a relaxing thing to do for me. This is the kit I just got. You can make it how ever big or small you want.

https://www.amazon.com/2x4basics-90164-Custom-Shelving-Storage/dp/B0030T1BRE

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts